Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It broke, I can't believe it broke!
It broke, I can't believe it broke!
2004-01-30, 5:17 PM #1
I turned on my computer this morning, and 3 seconds later...*SNAP*. The metal clip that holds the cpu fan on to the motherboard broke the plastic fan mounting bracket. Now my cpu fan is only holding on to 3 of the 4 mounts. Does anyone know where I can buy a new mounting bracket? My computer is running much hotter now that the fan is not securely fastened onto the cpu.

My cpu is a P4-3.0 GHz.
2004-01-30, 5:19 PM #2
Try your local Computer store. And, new fans aren't expensive.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-30, 5:28 PM #3
It is not the fan that's the big issue here. It is the actual plastic thing-a-ma-bob that allows the fan to be attached to the motherboard that is broken. I tried a few stores and none of them have it so far. I came so close to stealing one off of a demo motherboard at Fry's. The only thing that stopped be was my short finger nails! Couldn't get that darn thing off!
2004-01-30, 5:31 PM #4
I mourn your loss.
2004-01-30, 5:44 PM #5
You can't pull one off a mobo, you'll damage it permanently.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-01-30, 5:50 PM #6
Dont run it without proper cooling.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-30, 5:52 PM #7
Wha..? Shouldnt it still be more or less still in place with 3 of the 4 corners secured?

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-30, 7:00 PM #8
I don't know if I want to take the chance with only 3 of the 4 clips in place. The motherboard already shut itself off during one GTA gaming session. My guess it was the heat.

Right now with 3/4 clips my cpu monitor gives back a 96 degrees F (with nothing running but a web browser). I guess this is normal, but I'm worried that the side with the missing clip may also decide to pop off.
2004-01-30, 7:14 PM #9
Go dumpster-diving if you see some old comps in the trash. That's how I got my cooling fan.

It's really compaq's fault for cutting corners and not adding a fan in the first place.)

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-01-31, 3:54 AM #10
Just buy a whole new fan. You're not going to find individual mounting brackets for sale.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-31, 3:55 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Go dumpster-diving if you see some old comps in the trash. That's how I got my cooling fan.

It's really compaq's fault for cutting corners and not adding a fan in the first place.)

</font>

...and that's what you get for buying a Compaq... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-01-31, 7:29 AM #12
It's part of the mobo that's broken, people; not the fan.

Is the mobo under warranty? I doubt you'll be able to fix the problem without replacing the motherboard. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
KOP_blujay
Just dancin'...and singin'...in the Force.
2004-01-31, 7:43 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zy:
It is not the fan that's the big issue here. It is the actual plastic thing-a-ma-bob that allows the fan to be attached to the motherboard that is broken. I tried a few stores and none of them have it so far. I came so close to stealing one off of a demo motherboard at Fry's. The only thing that stopped be was my short finger nails! Couldn't get that darn thing off!</font>

Maybe if you would have asked a salesman if we carried them, instead of trying to jack one off a motherboard, you might have left with one, because we do in fact, carry them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Please frame your insults in the form of a question.

"What a bunch of blowhards." - Kieran Horn
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-01-31, 12:28 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
Maybe if you would have asked a salesman if we carried them, instead of trying to jack one off a motherboard, you might have left with one, because we do in fact, carry them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

I did ask, they said no. So I started prying away. Which store do you work at, maybe I should go there. The store I went to was the one in Fountain Valley, CA.

[This message has been edited by Zy (edited January 31, 2004).]
2004-01-31, 12:44 PM #15
Quote:
I came so close to stealing one off of a demo motherboard at Fry's. The only thing that stopped be was my short finger nails! Couldn't get that darn thing off!</font>

*shakes head*

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-31, 1:37 PM #16
Wow, I've never heard of mounting brackets breaking. P4 motherboards must have a terrible HSF mounting design! Either that or a cheap retail PC...

But anyway, try to RMA the mobo. I mean, a HSF clip broke off! If you ***** at them enough on the phone, they'll probably take it.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-31, 1:39 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
...P4 motherboards must have a terrible HSF mounting design!...</font>

Yes, yes they do.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-01, 11:18 AM #18
Quote:
I did ask, they said no. So I started prying away. Which store do you work at, maybe I should go there. The store I went to was the one in Fountain Valley, CA.

[This message has been edited by Zy (edited January 31, 2004).]
</font>

I've been there. It's a weird store, it has a medieval castle theme to it, not what you would expect in an electronics store at all.

It's also easy as hell to get lost in there, too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-01, 2:53 PM #19
The Fry's Electronics in Phoenix Arizona has a sort of Indiana Jones/Jungle Temple theme to it, like from the Temple of Doom. It looks like an Aztec temple from the outside. It looks rather similar to this one, but the "brickwork" actually goes all the way around, so it looks more authentic. [http://www.toxicbug.com/frys/ca_sanjose_side.jpg]
2004-02-01, 2:58 PM #20
Wow, another person who lives in Phoenix!

I really don't like Fry's Electronics...

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.
2004-02-01, 3:31 PM #21
Why do I only find out that all these people live in Phoenix AFTER I move away?

That jungle theme must be new, i don't rermember it the last time i went there which wasn't TOO long before i moved...

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-02-01, 4:56 PM #22
I work at the Austin, Texas store. We sell the processor mounting brackets. Last time I looked, a few days ago, we still had a peg full of them.

------------------
Please frame your insults in the form of a question.

"What a bunch of blowhards." - Kieran Horn
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-02-01, 5:52 PM #23
I finally found one (at the factory/cog themed Fry's in City of Industry, CA). I asked an employee if they had any, he spent a minute looking, and said no. I went over to the area where he looked, dug though the pile of misc. case fan mod boxes and actually found the very last one. I really wanted to buy 2 of them just in case. These P4 retention brackets are a rare thing in Southern California. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
2004-02-01, 5:58 PM #24
Cool! Someone else who lives in Austin TX!

------------------
Chester went to school and said
"Durn, I growed another head!"
Teacher said "It's time you knowed,
The word is grew, instead of growed."

- A round of applause for Shel Silverstein
'And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.'

Revalation 5:13
Old King James

↑ Up to the top!