Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I got TWO new computers!!!!
I got TWO new computers!!!!
2004-01-31, 6:12 PM #1
my parents decided to get two new computers to replace our aging machines, so we bought two identical compaqs.

Specs:

2.3 Ghz AMD athlon processor
120 GB HD
512 MB Ram
WinXP home
Voodoo 3

The only signifigant difference is that I loaded Win XP Professional on my machine, whereas the other one still has WinXP Home edition.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-01-31, 6:14 PM #2
voodoo3?

W.T.F.

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-31, 6:16 PM #3
Lucky you. I WANT ONE, DANG IT!!! (oops, did I say that out loud? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-01-31, 6:17 PM #4
yeah... why the hell would they have a voodoo 3 in them??

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-31, 6:22 PM #5
And by Voodoo 3 you of course mean Radeon 9800. Right? Please?

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-01-31, 6:23 PM #6
My mistake. I don't know why I put down voodoo 3. I was thinking about if for some reason and maybe I accidentally typed it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

Oh yeah, both also have dvd-Rw drives, i know that for certain.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-01-31, 6:25 PM #7
and after that....

inanimate rock > dog poop > hobo vomit > HP > Packard Bell > nail through the testes > Compaq...

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-31, 6:40 PM #8
Now now, there's nothing wrong with hobo vomit..

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-01-31, 6:42 PM #9
That's why it's pretty high on the list. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-31, 11:21 PM #10
Don't mock Voodoo 3! One served me well.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.rot13.com" TARGET=_blank>Wnav "Xebxb" Ghbzvara
w_ghbzvara@yhhxxh.pbz</A>
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-02-01, 2:33 AM #11
Ahhhhh I remember my original 3dfx, payed well over $200 for the thing. It was an absolute first generation 3D card, and I think the first to use Glide. That was before they were mutli-use too, so it had this weird 2 inch cable loop round the back of my PC, between the PCI slot of the 3dfx and the PCI slot of the normal video card. Damn if it didnt make JK look sweet though. Pixels begone!

Ahhh, memories.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited February 01, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-01, 4:09 AM #12
Voodoo 3's were good video cards. I had one that served me well. They just haven't made them in something like 3 years.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-02-01, 4:28 AM #13
Buying a Compaq: £1000
Phoning tech support: £12.66
Scrapping the Compaq and buying bits to assemble: priceless.

------------------
The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, The Father of Rocketry
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-02-01, 6:37 AM #14
Someone gave me a Voodoo 5.

2004-02-01, 6:53 AM #15
So... what video card do you have?

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-02-01, 7:18 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
...so we bought two identical compaqs....</font>

That isnt something to brag about, dude.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-01, 7:41 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
That isnt something to brag about, dude.

</font>

Yah. Computers are *worthless* these days!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-02-01, 7:54 AM #18
Well GBK is just mad neither has Linux.

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-02-01, 10:30 AM #19
I payed $60 to get them to let me talk to a guy from iraq, who switched me over to a guy from, iran, who gave me the number to someone from afghanistan, who finally told me i could use *insert number* to talk to an english tech.
that tech just sent me a restore disk.
Compaqs so great!

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-02-01, 10:33 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FH_PhoenixFlame:
Well GBK is just mad neither has Linux.

</font>

Maybe, but Compaqs (from my experience with 2 different ones) don't work very well.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-01, 10:38 AM #21
I know, my friend has two identical ones, they are horrible. He also like praises HP for some idiotic reason. I don't understand him. I think its because his dad buys them, and he wants to defend his dad.

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-02-01, 10:49 AM #22
About the video card, I'm not sure what kind I have. Device manager doesn't specify, and the manual doesn't, either. I don't want to open the case to look at the actual card itself yet b/c it would void the warranty to open the case so soon. (They can tell that you open the case b/c there is a little sticker that gets torn when you open the case. I could probably get it off w/o tearing it, but it would be loose and a bit too obvious.)

Compaqs are decent once you get rid of all the advertising crap that they come pre-loaded with. It's interesting that compaq never hesitates to give you a bunch of trial versions of good software, but gives you very little stuff that you could actually use.

One improvement is that with these compaqs, system restore appears to be a bios feature (Eg, you can hit F10 to do a system restore when you boot) making it much more reliable.

Of course, I stil lhave my WinXP pro ISO if all that fails.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited February 01, 2004).]
2004-02-01, 11:09 AM #23
Quote:
Of course, I stil lhave my WinXP pro ISO if all that fails.

</font>

Did you just admit to pirating XP Pro?

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-02-01, 11:10 AM #24
Quote:
...Compaqs are decent once you get rid of all the advertising crap that they come pre-loaded with. It's interesting that compaq never hesitates to give you a bunch of trial versions of good software, but gives you very little stuff that you could actually use....</font>

It isnt the software that bugs me. I never deal with it anyway; Id just wipe it all and be done with it. Its Compaq's blatent disregard for hardware standards that pisses me off.

------------------
2004-02-01, 11:14 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:

inanimate rock > dog poop > hobo vomit > HP > Packard Bell > nail through the testes > Compaq...
</font>

Shouldn't HP and Compaq be equal, considering they're the same company?

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-01, 11:14 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gonk:
Did you just admit to pirating XP Pro?

</font>

Piracy? who said anything about piracy?

GBK: what do you mean by disregard for hardware standards?

------------------

2004-02-01, 11:19 AM #27
Quote:
...GBK: what do you mean by disregard for hardware standards? </font>

Non-standard cases, non-standard memory, putting the bios setup program on the HARD DRIVE.... Shall I go on?

------------------
2004-02-01, 11:21 AM #28
Generally speaking, when people talk about ISOs they don't mean the CD but rather the ISO file itself. Unless you ripped it to your comp, why would you have such a file?

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-02-01, 11:24 AM #29
Sheesh, you cant even open the case ? Thats kinda sad. It is probably just onboard video.

------------------
AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-02-01, 11:26 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Generally speaking, when people talk about ISOs they don't mean the CD but rather the ISO file itself. Unless you ripped it to your comp, why would you have such a file?

</font>

I use the terms ISO and Cd interchangably. THeyare basically the same thing, but in two diferent forms. (one is digital data, one is digital data on a plastic disc.)

------------------
2004-02-01, 11:33 AM #31
Quote:
I use the terms ISO and Cd interchangably. THeyare basically the same thing, but in two diferent forms. (one is digital data, one is digital data on a plastic disc.) </font>

------------------
2004-02-01, 11:41 AM #32
An ISO in computing terms is an exact image of a CD. Which is used for copying the CD to the hard drive with the Audio tracks and boot records intact. Unless you plan on using the file from the hard drive there is no use for the format. However, you'd need to re-write the bios so it could read the .iso file as a bootable drive which seems rather pointless.

In conclusion ISO != CD.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-01, 12:25 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
An ISO in computing terms is an exact image of a CD. Which is used for copying the CD to the hard drive with the Audio tracks and boot records intact. Unless you plan on using the file from the hard drive there is no use for the format. However, you'd need to re-write the bios so it could read the .iso file as a bootable drive which seems rather pointless.

In conclusion ISO != CD.

</font>

He could still burn the ISO... but anywho...

Whoever said Packard Bells are better than Compaqs was wrong. At least Compaqs RUN. Sure, they are both in a scrap heap, but Compaq is the winner of that scrap, and Packard Bell's are stuck on the bottom of the pile [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] HP's aren't great either.

Also, I don't know how a bios-supported system restore could possibly work, unless the system restore is stored on a partition of your HD. Which means that:

A. You aren't getting all the HD space advertised.
B. Don't format your drive, or you lose the system restore.
C. Oops, MBR failure. Looks like you lost your system restore.
D. It is just meant to boot to CDROM, with a CD System Restore disc in the drive. If you don't have the CD, this can still be true. Many companies no longer distribute the discs on purchase. You either have to pay for it, or at least request one from the company.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-01, 1:08 PM #34
Sometimes it's good to use the terms 'girlfriend' and 'subscription to Playboy' interchangably.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-01, 1:09 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Sometimes it's good to use the terms 'girlfriend' and 'subscription to Playboy' interchangably.</font>

Always, but what the hell does that have to do with this thread?

------------------
2004-02-01, 1:10 PM #36
I just think Pagewizard is silly.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-01, 1:20 PM #37
Yes, one could call him silly. One could also call him a nimiety of other names and insults, half of which would get one banned.

------------------
2004-02-01, 4:48 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Yes, one could call him silly. One could also call him a nimiety of other names and insults, half of which would get one banned.

</font>

It would also get you torn to pieces by me if I manage to find you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------

2004-02-01, 5:26 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Shouldn't HP and Compaq be equal, considering they're the same company?

</font>

no. Because coming straight from the employee manual that I stole from Best Buy it states that Compaq's PC line is not only going to be eradicated from retail chains, but they are the lesser of the the two brands. You're supposed to think of it like a Mercury and a Jaguar. Both are made by Ford. Honest to god that's what I read.

Edit: You can type dxdiag in the run dialogue and then go to adapter. It will tell you what your chipset / card is.

And you do realize this is the internet right? I can call you a ******* **** smoking ***** ** **** and you can't do a **** thing about it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] The same goes for GBK. He could insult you all he wants mad dog but chances are, you're not going to go to Kentucky to kick his arse. And if you did, I hope some old guy sits out on his front porch with a shotgun and puts you out of your lameness.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited February 01, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited February 01, 2004).]
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-01, 5:38 PM #40
Quote:
It would also get you torn to pieces by me if I manage to find you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

I'm sure girls would be really impressed if you told them you physically threaten people over the internet. They'd probably be even more impressed if an admin threatened to ban you if you ever do it again.

Just helping you out with the ladies!
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art

↑ Up to the top!