Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hrm.. Weird.. (computer security stuff)
Hrm.. Weird.. (computer security stuff)
2004-02-02, 9:32 AM #1
I got one of those E-Mail virus like everyone else.. weird text and a file attached.

This is.. is annoying me though.
The @Blah.com is from someone from my dads work.

The thing that disturbs me is... this is a really private E-mail address. I only tell people I trust about it, so it won't get spammed or anything. It is not pubic knowledge. It's kinda like.. my dad would have to be snooping in order to get it.

My dad IS the type of person who would have someone "hack" into my computer, install a keylogger, etc...

Erm.. so does anyone know the best way to rid my computer of possible crap like that, to get that stalker away? (Oh yes, just in case anyone is wondering, I'm doing naughty things :P .. or not. It's just the "creeping" out factor.. ><")
2004-02-02, 9:36 AM #2
1) Run adaware or spybot search & destroy
2) Reinstall Windows.

Either should resolve any key-logger related issues.

Coincidentally, this is post #10101 for me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-02, 9:37 AM #3
If you're suspecting a keylogger, I think they come in the software and hardware varieties. I think a lot of times they are a small device that are placed between the ps/2 port and the the keyboard..

The only advice I can suggest if it's software is to see what programs and tasks are running, search the folders in your hard drive for the software, and check msconfig for suspicious startup programs.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-02, 11:11 AM #4
I'd reinstall windows. It's always good to clean your system out anyway.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-02, 11:21 AM #5
Um.. this really isn't a "reinstall windows" type problem.. What most likely happened is that your dad got the virus/worm, and it saw you in his address book or in previous emails, and so it sent itself to you too. So uh.. yeah.

Do GBK's first suggestion, run a virus scan or two, and if you suspect a keylogger, I doubt it's the hardware kind. They're need physical access to the computer, but still, it's worth a check. They look kind of like an adapter, you plug your keyboard wire into it, and then the other side of it into your USB or ps/2 port.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!