Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Happy Groundhog Day.
Happy Groundhog Day.
2004-02-02, 1:13 AM #1
Happy Groundhog Day to everyone. I wish you all a day full of hairy vermin!

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-02, 1:29 AM #2
Erh... Happy Groundhog Day, I suppose.
2004-02-02, 1:48 AM #3
Woah... I forgot about this day. So whats the verdict? Did he see his shadow or not?... and for that matter, what does each one mean again? I always get them mixed up [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-02, 2:04 AM #4
I totally forgot too.....

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-02, 2:05 AM #5
Well, I know what movie I'm watching tonight!

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-02, 4:30 AM #6
We have highly technical equipment that can't accuratly predict the weather. How the hell does a giant rat do it? I think he's a fraud! BURN PUNXITAWNEY PHIL!!

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-02-02, 4:34 AM #7
Yay! Its my fathers birthday!

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-02, 4:44 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
We have highly technical equipment that can't accuratly predict the weather. How the hell does a giant rat do it? I think he's a fraud! BURN PUNXITAWNEY PHIL!!

</font>

Haha.... On Breakfest Television they had the BT Beaver... BT BEAVER WILL RULE THE WEATHER, BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

------------------
Fragment Thoughts consume my vision.
No-one knows what it's like to be the bad man,
to be the sad man Behind Blue Eyes.

- The Who
2004-02-02, 4:57 AM #9
You mean groundhog day is an actual day? I always thought it was something made up in the film.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-02, 5:17 AM #10
Heh, me too! I thought it was a parody of all the special 'days' there are..
I was laughing because it seemed so silly...I mean, at least ancient Wiccan traditions have some shred of sense to them...
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-02, 7:13 AM #11
IT is a real holiday... scientificly it has to do with the position of the sun, if its high enough it will get warmer, and the groundhog won't see his shodow, therefore summer will come early. if it's too low, it will be colder, the groundhog won't see shadow, more wintery weather.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-02-02, 11:06 AM #12
(1) Why not just use a stick?

(2) How can you tell whether the groundhog can see his shadow or not? I'm no expert but I don't think groundhogs go OOH IT'S MY SHADOW *dance* *dance* *dance*
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-02, 11:16 AM #13
Where's the fun in a stick?

And I do believe that the belief is, if the groundhog sees its shadow, it runs back into its hole. Though, the dancing would be a nice touch.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-02, 11:21 AM #14
Look, theres many more stupid holidays than groundhogs day. It's just a day to have fun, no worries about it, no fundamentialist groups pissed off about god knows what, no crazy people that will make death threats if you dont like it. Just a day to have un-inhibited no questions asked fun

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-02, 11:30 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Look, theres many more stupid holidays than groundhogs day. It's just a day to have fun, no worries about it, no fundamentialist groups pissed off about god knows what, no crazy people that will make death threats if you dont like it. Just a day to have un-inhibited no questions asked fun

</font>

I don't know.. What about the anti-Groundhog groups. And the pro-groundhog extreamist groups? It's inhumane to force that poor poor groundhog to be terrified by his shadow. Then again. The gruondhog isn't human..

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-02, 11:32 AM #16
*wakes up*

Oh God, not Monday AGAIN!

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-02-02, 12:19 PM #17
Eh, one good thing about it is that its one week till my birthday.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-02-02, 12:29 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
How can you tell whether the groundhog can see his shadow or not? I'm no expert but I don't think groundhogs go OOH IT'S MY SHADOW *dance* *dance* *dance*</font>

ROFLMAO!!!

I agree, how DO we know for sure? I assume people stand around and see it with their own eyes, unless the groundhog has some secret way of communicating it to everyone.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-02, 2:02 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobafett765:
I agree, how DO we know for sure? I assume people stand around and see it with their own eyes, unless the groundhog has some secret way of communicating it to everyone.
</font>

A was already said, and i thought was common knowlage, the groundhow will go abck undergroud if it sees its shadow. supposedly it's scared of it.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-02-02, 2:05 PM #20
But.. They hold him up in the air.. He couldn't go back into his hole if he wanted to. And he probably does. What entity would want to be woken up at 6 AM to be waved around like a flag to a billion cameras and flashes..

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-02, 2:15 PM #21
Staten Island > puxatawny phil

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-02-02, 2:15 PM #22
I should pull a Bill Murray and drive off a cliff with the Groundhog,....then it would be Spring forever HAHAHAMUAHAHAHAAHH!!!!!!

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-02-02, 2:55 PM #23
It's Groundhog's Day?... No wonder that movie's been on so much...

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-02, 2:59 PM #24
They need to make a sequel: Judgement Day. Bill Murray keeps waking up to the last day of humanity as we know it, one day it's nukes, then its diseases, then it's evil robots...

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: life in the massassi temple
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

↑ Up to the top!