Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → John Edwards speech/rally
John Edwards speech/rally
2004-02-02, 5:16 AM #1
He spoke at the College of Charleston this morning - didn't really say anything I hadn't already heard, or anything that convinced me to vote for him, but he is quite the speaker. He didn't miss a beat for at least 30 minutes, with no teleprompter - he'd probably do quite well in a debate ... for what that's worth.. I went early and got a front row seat, and ended up shaking hands with him afterwards. He didn't take questions. It turns out his campaign manager is the former mayor of my hometown and a friend of my dad's.

He's an inspiring guy, just by virtue of his eloquence, but like most speeches it was high on populism and low on substance - especially foreign policy, which is really my thing. It was cool, regardless. Some dude thought I was from the press with my notebook and front-row seat and poi..yeah. Anyway, there were some hot camerawomen who kept shaking their asses in my face. That was cool.

Oh, and when I was eating breakfast in the cafeteria before the speech, I sat across from some reporters from CNN, Bob Franken namely.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-02, 9:54 AM #2
Well, if I was old enough to vote, I'd vote for Bush (yeah, yeah, go ahead and flame me). However, if I could only vote for a Democrat, it would be Lieberman or Edwards.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-02, 10:00 AM #3
For some reason I thought you were talking about the psychic John Edwards guy on Sci Fi....

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-02-02, 10:02 AM #4
If he became President, couldn't he predict wars and famines and such and therefore act to prevent them? That would be a pretty cool president!

------------------

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-02, 10:05 AM #5
So did I, at first, Charlie. Then I realized it was Sine posting, so it couldn't be anything reasonbly interesting.

I find it somewhat humorous that you felt the need to justify the experience with the camerawomen. Or maybe you were just trying to appeal to the general interests of the posters here, I dunno.

[This message has been edited by Hellequin (edited February 02, 2004).]
2004-02-02, 10:32 AM #6
I'm not sure who I'd vote for; I'm not a real political kind of guy. But I won't have to worry about it for another four years so...

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-02-02, 10:51 AM #7
Why even bother or worry about it? Bush is getting re-elected easily, whether you like it or not.. ?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-02, 10:53 AM #8
I really like Edwards. He is the only candidate that has a positive campaign. I don't think he's going to get the nomination though, which is sad. He is the only Democratic candidate that I'd vote for before Bush.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-02, 10:54 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
Why even bother or worry about it? Bush is getting re-elected easily, whether you like it or not.. ?

</font>

He's been jerking some people around lately(specifically, the reservists and national guard In Iraq). If he keeps doing that, it won't be so easy.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-02, 11:13 AM #10
I keep hearing about Edwards' oratorical ability but still haven't seen him speak. If I still lived in Greensboro I'd probably try to see him. It's unfortunate that southern Illinois isn't topping any candidate's list.

Freelancer: Not quite. From CNN: GOP chief expects close fall contest.

Kieran: Don't forget the fiscal conservatives.

[edit]spelling is now my mortal enemy.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited February 02, 2004).]
2004-02-02, 11:31 AM #11
Everybody knows that George W. has Osama stashed away for october.... Where have you all been?

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-02-02, 12:03 PM #12
Meh, I've never really been impressed with Edwards... or any of the other Democratic candidates for that matter. Looks like I'll be voting Bush.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-02-02, 12:15 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charlie:
Everybody knows that George W. has Osama stashed away for october.... Where have you all been?

</font>

R O F L

------------------

2004-02-02, 12:33 PM #14
I like Dean, his policy is to get technology out to the masses. When I saw John Edwards I thought Jonathan Edwards, the Great Awakening preacher. o_O

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-02, 2:21 PM #15
Ictus is right. W is not pleasing me right now.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-02, 3:14 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I like Dean...</font>

Nreeeyah!!

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-02, 3:21 PM #17
Wow, he sure knows a lot of states.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-02-02, 3:28 PM #18
1) Don't trust statistics and Polls (look at the 1948 Truman-Dewey election: http://www.eagleton.rutgers.edu/e-gov/e-politicalarchive-1948election.htm ).

2) There are a great majority in this country that oppose the Bush Administration and their policies, they just arn't getting the media coverage they deserve ( http://reclaimdemocracy.org/weekly_2003/conservatives_honor_free_speech.html ).

------------------
"At last, we have come to find the truth to our souls. Though, the truth is not what we expected. I now fear my own soul."
"At last, we have come to find the truth to our souls. Though, the truth is not what we expected. I now fear my own soul."

↑ Up to the top!