Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → $6 a month solves illegal file sharing problem
$6 a month solves illegal file sharing problem
2004-02-02, 12:39 AM #1
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Consumers would pay less for more entertainment.

Artists would be fairly compensated. The set of artists who made their creations available to the world at large – and consequently the range of entertainment products available to consumers – would increase.

Musicians would be less dependent on record companies, and filmmakers would be less dependent on studios, for the distribution of their creations.

Both consumers and artists would enjoy greater freedom to modify and redistribute audio and video recordings. Although the prices of consumer electronic equipment and broadband access would increase somewhat, demand for them would rise, thus benefiting the suppliers of those goods and services. Finally, society at large would benefit from a sharp reduction in litigation and other transaction costs.</font>

Sounds too good to be true?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35260.html

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The simple idea is very powerful. Fisher identifies four constituencies necessary to accept the model: consumers, artists, device manufacturers and finally the intermediaries: the studios and labels. The model has huge advantages for three of the four. And what incentives, we asked, would the labels and studios have?

After hearing his presentations, Fisher says industry is intrigued but hardly feels impelled to jump. The biggest 'carrot' is that it would see its revenues guaranteed at 2000 levels. If it believes its own rhetoric, that could be a very powerful incentive indeed.</font>
2004-02-02, 4:05 AM #2
sounds like a system i can live with... and i hope it does lead to more independent artists in film and music.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-02, 4:13 AM #3
Yeah, I would certainly sign up for a system like that, assuming I got unlimimited downloads, it wasnt encoded with stupid encoding things, and the artists didnt complain about having to wait another week to get their gold plated toilet seat

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-02, 7:30 AM #4
I'd buy it. If it had unlimited access, like Stickz said.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-02-02, 8:33 AM #5
He seems to be getting to the right idea... I'm not particullarly fond of it, but then again, I possess exactly zero songs in any format, legal or not. But it still sounds far better than the RIAA's opinion that we should pay roughly $1-$2 per song in fixed sets (CDs).

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-03, 5:43 AM #6
There's still problems with the idea, (for example, if only broadband users are taxed, what's the stop them from putting the files on cd (or LAN parties) and handing them out to their non-broadband friends) but it's definately the closest we've come to a solution.

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-02-03, 5:45 AM #7
There is no solution to this situation.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-02-03, 6:01 AM #8
Everyone enjoys music.. so why don't they make every song free for downloading and then impose a music tax.. The money would then be redistributed proportionally to the ammount of hits that a given artist has had.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-03, 6:12 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
There's still problems with the idea, (for example, if only broadband users are taxed, what's the stop them from putting the files on cd (or LAN parties) and handing them out to their non-broadband friends) but it's definately the closest we've come to a solution.

</font>

Well, that is going to happen anyways. The only difference is that the RIAA will be made up for their losses in downloads by the $6 tax. That way, they won't be randomly sueing people and the world will be happy.
sigs are fun stuff
2004-02-03, 7:12 AM #10
flex - i doubt people who do not download would appriciate that.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-03, 7:37 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
flex - i doubt people who do not download would appriciate that.

</font>

You mean people who don't listen to music. And can you honestly say you know anyone who doesn't listen to music?

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-03, 7:45 AM #12
While what flex is saying isn't a perfect solution, there never will be a perfect solution, and we just have to accept that and come as close as we can. There are advantages though:

1. It would be easy to see who the top (most downloaded) artists are because a rating system would definately be an integral part of any such system.

2. Individual artists could record and submit their own work for download, making it much easier for them to get started.

3. The artists would be directly compensated for their work.

Disadvantages:

1. Would likely wreak even more havoc on music economy (cd sales in particular). Music stores would suddenly not be selling cds at all. Radio would become obsolete.

2. It's slightly unfair to those who don't currently download music. They would basically be paying for a service they don't want. Further they would suddenly be forced into the service when cds and radio fail.

Anyway, that's my take on it at this time.

------------------
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-02-03, 8:21 AM #13
We already have the "perfect solution": You want music, you buy it. The money goes to those who make it. The more people like certain music, the more money the makers of that music get. Brilliant, no?

You can make arguments about labels taking huge shares of profits, etc, but that's a separate issue. No one forced the artist to sign with the label that's ripping him off, or to remain under contract to the label.

$6 a month won't solve anything. The only way the industry could make money from it would be if you had to stay subscribed to listen to the music you had already downloaded. Which would require being online, and DRM. Otherwise, people would subscribe for a month, download gigs of music, and then cancel their subscription for months while they listen to their music. And the industry (IMO) couldn't make a profit from that. And personally, there's no way I'd subscribe to a service where I have to be online, or have to use DRM, or have to keep my subscription up, to listen to "my" music.

KOP_blujay
Just dancin'...and singin'...in the Force.
2004-02-03, 8:33 AM #14
blujay, you're right... Unfortunately though, we don't live in a Utopian society, and therefore we have to figure out how to do things as best we can. People aren't going to do it that it should be done just because that's the way it should be done, because people are by nature greedy and self-motivated/oriented.

*shrug*

------------------

2004-02-03, 8:41 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Everyone enjoys music.. so why don't they make every song free for downloading and then impose a music tax..</font>

...because not everyone who listens to music downloads it? My grandparents don't. My mom doesn't. My uncle doesn't. A good number of my friends don't. But, hey, people want their music for free, so I guess they'll just have to share the burden without getting the benefits, right?

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!