Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Installed ati driver on slackware 9.1 and.... nothing happened?
Installed ati driver on slackware 9.1 and.... nothing happened?
2004-02-02, 4:18 PM #1
1. I downloaded the RPM dirver from ati's website for my Radeon 9800 pro.

2. I ran rpm2tgz to convert the file to native slackware package format

3. I ran installpkg and installed the package.

4. The package is listed under pkgtool but has no description.

5. Nothing changed. I can't switch resolutions and I can't run the fglrconfig command.

I looked at my xfree86 config file and found that the driver was set to the vesa driver. Apparently the package didn't change anything. Is it supposed to? Because I can' seem to find any material on the web that tells me to edit the x config file. In fact, I don't even know the name of the driver the x config file should link to (rather than vesa)

ATI's website dosn't tell me really anything... help would be much appriciated!
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-02-02, 4:27 PM #2
Did you create a custom kernel module and install it?

------------------
Napalm is nature's toothpaste.
2004-02-02, 4:29 PM #3
Regardless, -something- will have to change that config file. Whether it be you or your package manager. I don't know what it's called either, sorry [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
2004-02-02, 4:33 PM #4
I doubt that you can just run installpkg and have it run, unless it came with a precompiled kernel modulefpr that extact distro and kernel, which i doubt. You have to do it all manually from my experience.

Take a look at this and follow the instructions VERY carefully:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/readme0370.txt

------------------
Napalm is nature's toothpaste.
2004-02-02, 4:39 PM #5
Hm, I havn't compiled the custom kernel... must have missed that part. Would you recommend doing this after I upgrade to the 2.6.1 kernel, since I'll have to do it anyway later?

Edit: er, sry about the spanish homework... network is down right now and I have no other way to get my doc to the printer...
------------------

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited February 02, 2004).]
2004-02-02, 5:32 PM #6
Whoa. This is wierd- an ati control center link in my applications folder showed up, but the file is missing. What could this mean?

------------------
2004-02-02, 6:06 PM #7
Where is the file liked to?

...Youll need to change your driver in your xconfig file to the ATI driver, but I dont know what the name of the driver is. Do a Google Groups search, odds are someone else has had this problem before.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-02, 6:30 PM #8
Cannot Launch Entry

Details: Failed to executre child process "/usr/X11R6/bin/direglcontrol" (No such file or directory)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2.3 Generating a Kernel with ISSE Support (Kernel 2.2.x)
--------------------------------------------------------

Note: You may skip the information in this section in the following cases:
(1) You have Kernel 2.4.xx: Kernel 2.4.xx and most current distributions
come with ISSE support built-in,
(2) Your CPU does not have ISSE support at all. </font>

I have kernel 2.4.22.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> You are in need to start the kernel module build manually
- if you spot having no hardware 3D support (run fglrxinfo to check)
- if you have done any important system changes, e.g. a changed kernel
- if you were adviced so whilst the driver installation</font>

I can't even run fglrxinfo, so I wouldn't know... obviously I, or something, screwed up somewhere

------------------
2004-02-03, 9:29 AM #9
This is why I stopped using Slackware, because it can't use RPMs.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-03, 9:44 AM #10
*yawn*

This is why I don't move to Linux...

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-03, 11:36 AM #11
SHATTER!

any how ya i do believe he should get the no **** sherlock award when i read that i just cracked up so much

------------------
janitor bobs idea of rogers video: He's actually the overweight guy next door who has a HUGE selection of videos, including the entire Lethal Weapon, Halloween, and 'Ernest' series.
The advantage is is that you can 'borrow' movies for long amounts of time without him remembering that you borrowed them.

The disadvantage is the pizza cheese grime on the DVDs
2004-02-03, 2:03 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
This is why I stopped using Slackware, because it can't use RPMs.

</font>

So would you stop using Redhat because it can't run exe's? (which it can, under wine) (And slackware can use RPMs with rpm2tgz)

------------------
2004-02-03, 2:18 PM #13
*points to Tech Forum*

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.

↑ Up to the top!