Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Apple TV ad banned in the UK
Apple TV ad banned in the UK
2003-12-06, 9:45 AM #1
http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-5105661.html

------------------
^^
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2003-12-06, 9:58 AM #2
Take THAT, Apple!

------------------
Archeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn. If genuine, it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental." The page has been universally condemned by church leaders.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2003-12-06, 10:03 AM #3
Interesting.

------------------
<kyle90> i got my SAT scores back
<kyle90> according to the sheet i got sent in the mail, I did "better than 99% of all college-bound seniors"
<kyle90> of course, thats comparing me to americans
<kyle90> so its not really a fair assessment
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2003-12-06, 10:11 AM #4
Man talk about uptight. o_O

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2003-12-06, 10:36 AM #5
I feel if they ban that one for the reasons they did, many other commercials should probably be banned as well.

------------------
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I'm a schizophrenic
and so am I
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2003-12-06, 10:37 AM #6
But... every computer ad says its own product is the fastest. No one takes that seriously. Well... no one who knows anything about computers anyway. Is anyone actually going to believe that high-tech government agencies use Compaq Presarios?

"Get what they've got. Get a Compaq Presario" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2003-12-06, 11:57 AM #7
Too bad they don't have AOL [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2003-12-06, 12:01 PM #8
thats great

------------------
" You killed me. That wasn't very nice."
Noble Gases
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2003-12-06, 1:50 PM #9
/me does a little jig...

anyway it wouldnt really suprise me if the goverment uses compaq notebooks. They are a hell of alot better than their desktops, my dad used to have one and it was a great computer.
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2003-12-06, 1:52 PM #10
If they were that picky about truth in commericals in the US, there would be no commerical on TV [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-06, 4:03 PM #11
that's so stupid...
it's just advertising; not like they're saying "this is fact!" everyone knows advertisments are not fact [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-06, 10:44 PM #12
In the UK, you can sue people for false advertising. It has to be the truth!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2003-12-07, 2:05 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Is_907:
that's so stupid...
it's just advertising; not like they're saying "this is fact!" everyone knows advertisments are not fact [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

But why shouldn't they? Yes, advertisments are designed to get you to buy the product, but they certainly don't have to lie to achieve that.
Gilette claims to be 'The best a man can get!', but there's no evidence that it is. The difference here is with this Apple advert, the claim is actually quantifiable, whereas with Gilette it isn't (you can't measure 'goodness' but you can measure the speed and power of a computer). Qualitative claims can say anything, but quantitative claims have to be truthful. That makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn't be too happy if I bought a car that was advertised to be able to go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, but found I could only do it in 10 seconds.

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited December 07, 2003).]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2003-12-07, 2:38 AM #14
The same reason you can't write "fat-free" on the package of butter is the reason you can't say just say "World's Fastest Computer" (whether in an ad or on the package). If you want to make those claims, you've got to back them up with evidence. Otherwise, you're violating consumer rights.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2003-12-07, 7:35 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">claim to the title "world's fastest personal computer" is not fully supported. </font>

yeh yeh! We'll be 'aving none o'that!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2003-12-07, 7:49 AM #16
Fardreamer's right. They'd need to flash some bogus benchmarks like the ones on Apple.com. "Our dual processor G5 2.0 GHz or whatever with 2 GB of RAM far outperforms this Dell 1.4 GHz P4 with 128 MB of RAM! Macs are the best!"

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-12-07, 6:08 PM #17
You're all just mad because Apple is faster. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Brain returned and the people rejoiced.
------------------
Free Mikus!
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it. - Robert E. Lee
2003-12-07, 6:21 PM #18
Kind of a shame that's really not true anymore. Dual CPU Macs have trouble keeping up with single CPU PCs. :/

------------------
2003-12-07, 7:03 PM #19
Macs are underated.

Then you have the morons who go around spewing crap about how all macs are peices of **** and must be burned, because its the popular thing to say if you want to gain nerd-status.

------------------
Restless 2

Sanctum de la Mort
2003-12-07, 7:04 PM #20
They're also overrated. People say they suck, and that's not true, and other people say they are unbelievably fast, and that's not true, either. Hey, they're good, even great, but Apple and Macboys make them out to be a lot more than they really are.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited December 07, 2003).]
2003-12-07, 7:38 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Macs are underated.

Then you have the morons who go around spewing crap about how all macs are peices of **** and must be burned, because its the popular thing to say if you want to gain nerd-status.

</font>

I use macs all the time at school. I HATE THEM. For one thing, theyre incredibly slow, they look bad, talk to me(evilness), freeze alot, think im stupider the xp does, and arnt supported by very much software.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2003-12-07, 8:18 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:

</font>

I wish it was like that here in Australia. Dunno what its like where you live, but we have deodorant ads where the guy sprays a bit on and becomes an instant chick magnet. I've been wearing Lynx deodorant for several years now, and not one hot, young, woman has approached me for sex. Ever. Think I could sue Lynx?

[This message has been edited by Run (edited December 07, 2003).]
2003-12-08, 9:59 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Macs are underated.

</font>

uh, several 'geeks' (nerds is different, unless you're using differntly then i think) i know like to use macs, so i think thats a rather bad generalization.

Also, I have used macs before at my school, and talked quite a bit with the Network Manager at my school, and so know a bit about them. from what i can gather, they are very good at networking and video rendering, but for the most part, for the sorts of things i do (mostly gaming, but for other stuff as well), macs are inferior. There are several games for macs that are amazing (ambrosia makes quite a few great ones), but for the most part, the good ones are for or at least run the best on Windows.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2003-12-08, 10:15 AM #24
I like Mac's it depends on what your doing with them I suppose.
2003-12-08, 11:52 AM #25
I think Apple should just die off.

------------------
Here Ociffer, hold my beer while i look for my license.
*Remnant Temple beta taking a bit longer than planned but ill get it done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2003-12-08, 12:00 PM #26
I love the way people just say "MACKS SUCK!!!!" without any justification whatsoever.

Heres my justification [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

-They're expensive
-It's hard to upgrade them
-You can't really build your own
-There is very little software for them (comparitivly)
-The software is expensive and is mostly produced by apple.
-1 button mouse? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
-I just dislike MacOS.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-12-08, 12:48 PM #27
-you hold down one of the keys and click for a "right-click" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
-there's tons of software out for OS X that is open source
-OS X is based on BSD... you can't beat that with Windows

and as for the building/upgrading/software done by apple... it's proprietary stuff so don't expect to be able to upgrade on your own [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

i think that unless you've used an OS X G4 system you can't really judge Apple systems.

G4 and OS X are very much different from the old Apple stuff.

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-08, 1:01 PM #28
The artical also said that the Windows CPP compiler is faster than Linux CPP compiler...

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources
Mystic0 Forum
The Massassi Post Count Summary(link works now)
2003-12-08, 1:36 PM #29
TheJkWhoSaysNi you can get other operating systems for MAC than just MACOS.
2003-12-08, 2:03 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:

</font>

But all advertisments are pure lies. I'd be damn suprised to find a commercial that WASN'T a fat lie.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!