Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Discuss
Discuss
2004-02-03, 3:02 PM #1
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/1823_304/84184700/p1/article.jhtml?term=

------------------
"What sane person could live in this world, and *not* be crazy?"

Council of 14

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"

[This message has been edited by KyleKatarn7 (edited February 03, 2004).]
Council of 14
2004-02-03, 3:53 PM #2
My 2 cents in an unorganized manner:

While the points made in the article shouldn't be ignored (mostly that, yes, there's a lot of information out there, and our choices involving the absorbtion and application of such matters greatly), I feel the writer doesn't give enough credit to people. They keep saying we can't cope with all the stuff, and so fast, and that we move on, but I think that's crap. At least the writer isn't pointing fingers at the media directly, like most do.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
And you will get restless really fast if that "wolf" doesn't do anything. The kids will start squirming in, like, five minutes; you'll probably need to pretend you're not getting bored for a while longer. But if that little smudge of canine out there in the distance continues to just loll around in the tall grass, and you don't have a really powerful tripod-supported telelens gizmo to play with, you will get bored. You will begin to appreciate how much technology and editing goes into making those nature shows. The truth is that if some no-account chipmunk just happens to come around your campsite every morning for crumbs from your picnic table, it will have meant more to you than any "wolf."</font>

Perhaps for those who have never read a book, or don't understand the concept of "contemplation" or "stillness."

I don't see why consciously saying "oh that's real" apart from "that's fake" is being made out like it's evil if something isn't sitting right in front of you to feel and touch. Ever seen the movie "The Neverending Story?" OOoooo, imagination, interpretation -- they're fake, but that doesn't matter because I'm numb enough to push that aside and think of something else </sarcasm>

And what is their deal with "everything has been done?" Yeah right! That's what physicists of the 19th century said! Hell, even if we take it true, why can't it be done again if it's important? Again, the undermining of imagination.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Remember that T-shirt from the eighties that said "High on Stress"? It was sort of true and sort of a way to bluff it out and sort of a protest--it had that "any number of meanings" quality we now prefer to depth. That's because the any-number-of-meanings quality keeps you in motion, but depth asks you to stop. Depth is to your life what dead air is to a talk show.</font>

Right. This guy should watch more Conan :P

And a bit of conversation with the Kyle-meister himself:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Gebohq: yo
Kylekatarn7: heya, what's up?
Gebohq: reading the article you posting
Gebohq: and replying at the same time why, while the basic message is pertinant, the rest of it is crap
Gebohq: mostly just reading it though
Kylekatarn7: *nod*
Kylekatarn7: hehe, I noticed a bit of a hypocrisy in it myself
Gebohq: I'm mostly mad how this writer doesn't give people any credit and/or responsibility
Kylekatarn7: but it has a few good points hidden in the rough
Kylekatarn7: ack, sorry about that, was afk
Kylekatarn7: Yeah, he doesn't, but that's part of the point. All these public lawsuits against companies without regard for those responsible
Kylekatarn7: people suing CBS over the Janet Jackson thing, not Janet herself mind you
Gebohq: right
Gebohq: I guess what makes me mad down further is seeing a lot of other people believing the same thing: the lack of responsibility and such
Kylekatarn7: It infuriates most thinking people, which, sadly, is a dwindling number
Gebohq: perhaps it is, but I don't think so. it's mostly a matter of those thinking people doing something about it
Gebohq: or being successful at doing something about it, might be more accurate
Kylekatarn7: Well, the number may not be dwindling, but the proportion is probably changing
Gebohq: or we're just aware of the proportion in the first place
Kylekatarn7: lol
Kylekatarn7: that might be it as well
Gebohq: mind if I copy and paste our convo in my reply?
Kylekatarn7: go right ahead
Gebohq: thanks</font>

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: life in the massassi temple
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

↑ Up to the top!