Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → *hate* Stupid public school teachers
*hate* Stupid public school teachers
2004-02-02, 3:14 PM #1
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/columnists/dave_lieber/7643262.htm

That's just.. sad. The kid got suspended for sending a one word message with net send. Granted, it was to 80 computers, but I'm betting that was an accident, and he didn't know how to send it to just one/messed up.

At my school, this is rampant. I'm actually someone at fault. I figured out how to do it, and the naming conventions for the computers, but I only did it so I could say "Hey. I figured this out. Woot." I showed one person, and then they showed someone, and then somone downloaded a program and added a GUI so any ol' Joe could do it.. and now it's everywhere, and sad. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Anyway. Do you think that being suspended for 3 days was a good punishment? Do you think she should have been punished?

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-02, 3:19 PM #2
That's rather ridiculous. Did the kid have some sort of previous record? I mean, at worst, it should have been a stern "don't do that again."

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-02, 3:22 PM #3
anyone know that DOS command by chance?
and personally, i'd let the kid off, heck, i'd be amazed that he KNEW that sort of stuff at his age, i'd bump him up a level respectively

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!

[This message has been edited by Genki (edited February 02, 2004).]
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-02-02, 3:35 PM #4
Stupid.

A simple warning and explanation of why he shouldn't do it would have sufficed. Three days is total BS.

This Administrator calls herself a computer teacher? Get real. Every computer teacher I've EVER had (with the exception of three who actually LIKED it when the student pointed out something different) is ignorant of what the heck they actually teach. They pretend to know it all, they pretend they know what you're doing, and they refuse to accept when they are wrong and doing something stupid.

While we're on the subject of schools and computers...

I have a class where all the computers are networked to the school system downtown instead of the actual schools network as all the others are. The system has locked down so much of the freaking computer, it is damn near impossible to do ANYTHING without having to find a backdoor solution. Web sites are blocked, right click is diabled, you are not allowed to look at the hard drives, you can't open floppys, etc., etc., etc. Imagine every limitation you could have one your computer that would hinder your work and you might be close to what I have to deal with daily. So, the system has the computers locked down. The teacher (who is one of the aforementioned stupid computer teachers) complains consistantly that we can't do what she wants us to do, and then hands out impossible assignments. Where the hell is the logic? We've found ways around the internet blocks and the rightclicks in most cases and a variety of other things, and just now, 3/4ths of the way through the year, the system is waking up that we CAN NOT DO ANYTHING. So what do they do? Offer lessons to the teachers about how to get around their blocks.

I have a great idea... GET RID OF THE BLOODY THINGS.

/rant

I bet half of that doesn't even make sense, but it was nice to vent.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-02-02, 3:35 PM #5
In the article it says his dad taught him, while he was teaching him about DOS.

And yeah, you can look on google, but the command syntax is something like
Code:
net send <computer name><might be some symbol here, can't remember><message>

Poor Pheonix.. *hug* It's ok. All except for 2 of my teachers have been like that. They don't know RAM from a network cable..

Anyway. All my computer teachers hate the sys admin, because she's a complete nazi. The (programming) teachers can't do anything because she is the only one with an admin account, and everyone else is at the same level. (So there are two levels, admin, and student. Teachers are at the student level. No inbetweens.)

We can't even change the clock.. which is always wrong. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.

[This message has been edited by happydud (edited February 02, 2004).]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-02, 3:46 PM #6
Dumb people are so cool. Except when they're in a position of authority over smart people. Then they're just... dumb.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-02, 3:51 PM #7
hehehehheheheheeeeeeeee

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-02-02, 3:51 PM #8
Let's burn it down!

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-02, 4:28 PM #9
The command is

net send <username or computer name> <message>

Also, I might add, that this command is the incessant aggarvating Windows Messenger popups that many people receive with Win2k/XP. And, you can replace <username> with any number of things, including a network ip. What he probably accidentally/unknowningly put for the command is:

net send * hey!

* = All, so it sends a message to everyone on the network. There are other variations that could cause this also.

Anyway, the punishment was complete overkill. Any decent computer-tech would realize the pathetically small problem it causes, and the kid should have only been given a warning. Had I been that kid's parent, I would have been raising hell.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-02, 4:29 PM #10
At my school it's...

net send firstname.lastname message....

Only been caught once.

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-02, 4:30 PM #11
They probably did, it wasn't reported, and the school system refused to budge an inch.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-02-02, 4:49 PM #12
Hmm. Doesn't seem to work on my home network.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-02-02, 5:50 PM #13
Your firewall is probably stopping it. Or, you have the service disabled like sane people. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-02-02, 6:48 PM #14
My friend did the same thing about a week ago. He had just tried to disable the Messenger service and was testing to see if it worked using 'net send * hahaha'. Don't ask me why. Out of the hundreds of computers my school has scattered throughout its buildings, his was the only one that didn't receive the message.

Since the computer names are <room number>-<computer number>, a steady stream of authority figures, starting with the teacher and ending with our district's superintendent came by or called to ask who was laughing at them and why. It was awesome in a surreal way.

He didn't get in any official trouble, though. Not even a detention. Suspension is completely ridiculous.
2004-02-02, 7:34 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The first problem here is that Sweeney, a computer teacher, apparently doesn't understand the term hacking. Hacking is not using a built-in command to send a message. Hacking is defined in two general ways: 1) use of a computer to break into someone else's computer system, and 2) the sophisticated techniques used by an adept computer programmer</font>

Owned!

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-02, 8:21 PM #16
Richland Hills? Figures. Stupid, arrogant teachers. I use to live up there, and I had some friends who went to school there.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-02-03, 2:38 AM #17
The kid used his hands to type the message?

Off with them

------------------
I hate kids.
I hate kids.
2004-02-03, 4:49 AM #18
I also introduced my school to 'netsend', or since we used Windows 98, winpopup. Though I was not stupid enough to send messages to the entire school, I did get caught once in computer class but didn't get hit with any punishment. If a computer teacher can call something so harmless 'hacking,' she should be fired for sheer stupidity.
2004-02-03, 6:00 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Common Sense:
The kid used his hands to type the message?

Off with them
</font>

Hammurabi lives!

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-03, 11:28 AM #20
At TAFE (Colledge kinda) we used to use Netsend quite a bit. We would send it to eveyone on the network, one guy sent it to everyone in an admin block in the whole of a district. The teacher just explained what he'd done, then said to anyone that came in that he'd been punished (hes a funny bugger).
We would turn peoples computers off from ours, do all sorts of stuff. Mind you not while they were doing something.

And the teacher was saying "Go for it! Do it! Learn the stuff"

w00t [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum
(I can see your house from up here)
"But he's not going to carry you three" said Death.
"Why not?"
"It's a matter of the look of the thing"
"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it" said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse"

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-02-03, 11:29 AM #21
I must try this.

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-03, 3:46 PM #22
Heh... I just learned about this yesterday... thought about using it on someone who keeps intruding into my computer(same ip address and keeps getting blocked by my firewall)... then again, I might get into trouble. Ah well....

edit: And yes I do realize it gives away your ip.

[This message has been edited by HCF_Duke (edited February 03, 2004).]
No sig.
2004-02-04, 7:12 AM #23
http://www.nightmarecandles.com/Hey!.html
This site is very interesting indeed. It's the family site of the child who got suspeneded.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.

[This message has been edited by GhostOfYoda (edited February 04, 2004).]
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi

↑ Up to the top!