Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PlanetSide?
PlanetSide?
2004-02-04, 5:28 PM #1
What do you think of it? I just cancelled my DAoC account and picked it up today. Currently I am waiting for all the patches to download. It's taking like 3-4 hours on cable! WTF? Is that normal?

Anyway, the concept for me is just too cool for me to pass up. First of all, it's a massively multiplayer FPS. That just.. rocks. It pays particular attention to squad structure and teamwork, etc. The coolest thing is that as you gain in battle rank, you get special abilities and certifications, such as being able to pilot vehicles, play medic, and use anti-vehicular weaponry.

From what I understand, the gameplay is kind of like BF1942, only on a much grander scale, and with 3 opposing sides. You take forts and stuff which grant you privileges.. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to playing it, if the patches ever get done downloading! I mean.. 3 hours?! None of the MMORPGs I've played took anywhere NEAR that.

[This message has been edited by Freelancer (edited February 04, 2004).]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-04, 5:30 PM #2
I recently cancelled my DAoC account as well. I just can't afford to pay monthly for a game anymore.

My brother plays Planetside and really enjoys it. I haven't played it myself, but I've watched over his shoulder, and some of those large scale battles look quite fun.

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-02-04, 5:45 PM #3
Oops, looks like this is one inaccurate ETA timer. It went from 50 minutes to 2 and a half hours.. 20 minutes later it was back at an hour. Who the hell knows when this thing will be done?! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-04, 6:58 PM #4
Sounds cool, but I'm way to scared of the ping to try it out.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-04, 7:17 PM #5
Planetside was okay... definitely not something I'd buy and subscribe to.
2004-02-04, 7:37 PM #6
I played its 10 hour demo, or what it was, any ways, even on my crap 450 I had fun playing, but I won't pay for it because I need a computer upgrade 1st
2004-02-04, 8:05 PM #7
I used to play it, and it was GREAT, but then, story of my life...or rather, story of every similar game i've ever liked, they started screwing with it. Started changing it to be something I did not want it to be. So I stopped playing.

However, if you've gone over the features ands tuff and still like it, it's a GREAT game.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-02-04, 9:02 PM #8
Wow. I am SO sick of getting PWNED. I've died 20+ times without a kill. Being a rookie with no specs SUCKS. I now realize I totally wasted my initail spec points on medium assualt and sniper. Ugh.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-02-05, 1:58 AM #9
Best tips I have for a newbie are to go with medium assault and reinforced armor, and NEVER be without a squad of atleast 4 people.

Also, if you have medium assault, the loadout I suggest most is your empire-specific rifle (gauss, chaingunthingy, or the pulsar), along with a sweeper (reinforced armor = two guns, so if you just have standard armor, don't bother with the sweeper), Don't even bother with using an actual pistol, as I never used one when I used to play. Instead, I'd suggest grabbing a couple of grenades, and ALWAYS have an REK with you. even if you don't have a hacking cert, they can still hack doors, and, last I checked, could even capture bases/towers (though it takes significantly longer if you don't have a hacking cert)

Use your rifle for long-medium range (be sure to crouch, or atleast stand relatively still, when shooting for greater accuracy. and using the zoom function helped me a lot, too), and the sweeper for close encounters, namely when inside a base. just be sure your teammates are behind you when you start shooting it. And use grenades whenever you're able. I personally prefer plasma nades over frag nades, but pick whatever you want. (also note, if you have multiple grenades of the same type in your inventory, when one is used, the next one automatically replaces it on your holster, so you don't have to manually switch each time you throw one)

I would suggest not even worrying about sniping or vehicles or any of those types of certs until you get used to the game, but keep in mind, you can recycle your certs to pick something else whenever you want (you just need to wait 24 hours before you can do it again.)

Hope that helps a bit.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.

↑ Up to the top!