Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tie Fighter XP?
Tie Fighter XP?
2004-02-04, 9:16 PM #1
I recently got Tie Fighter for like 10 bucks, it's the collector's edition. Install went alright and it says my computer is able to run it but whenever I hit play on the launcher it brings up a DirectX 5 menu asking me to install. It refuses to then let me install, saying the installation was successful but not actually doing anything. After closing that install window and hitting play again the problem repeats itself.

So is Tie Fighter totally incompatible with XP or is there some trick to this I'm not getting?
2004-02-04, 9:20 PM #2
Compatability mode?

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-05, 2:50 AM #3
There's a particular file from DX5 that you need in your system32 file (or something like that (the same thing happened to me and MotS in Win2K)).
Go to Yoda's help desk and e-mail Lucas Arts. They got back to me the next day and they got back to someone else here, with the same problem, on the same day.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-05, 4:41 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Compatability mode?

</font>

Doesn't work belive me I've tried.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-02-05, 5:23 AM #5
Had this problem with a lot of LA games. Just run the main EXE in the folder instead of the launcher. Such as JK.EXE instead of JEDI.EXE for Jedi Knight.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-05, 8:28 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoESC:
Had this problem with a lot of LA games. Just run the main EXE in the folder instead of the launcher. Such as JK.EXE instead of JEDI.EXE for Jedi Knight.

</font>

Yea, I had to do this with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-05, 8:33 AM #7
You need the windows95 version. I have both the DOS and 95 versions. The win95 version comes with the "X-Wing collectors series" pack.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-05, 9:00 AM #8
I think in the UK Lucasarts updated a lot of those old DOS games to be fully compatible with XP (I'm not talking about the windows 95 versions). They were brought up to date by some guy who used to work on them, or was involved with the SCUMM engine in some way. I don't remember his name.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.

↑ Up to the top!