Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Oh. My. God.
Oh. My. God.
2004-02-05, 3:14 AM #1
Click here
I would just like to point something out:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's the case that Christina Axson-Flynn brought against the U, claiming that the school discriminated against her because she's LDS and wouldn't use the Lord's name in vain.</font>
She's at the University of Utah and she's being discriminated against because she is is LDS.....what?

If this case wins, this will be disasterous for the University of Utah's reputation. The U of U is seen by Broadway and Hollywood as a place to go to get good, serious actors. There drama department is one of the best. But if this case wins and students can change scripts whenever they want, casting directors will just look at a former U of U student at an audition and say "You graduated from where? Ha! Next!"

Also, this shows that she is not taking her acting seriously. I heartedly doubt the professor was forcing her to take that part. She probably could have taken a different part or just not been in the play. Also, I don't think it mentions it in the story, but the part she was going to play required her to smoke(not literally. just look like it) and she objects to doing that to.

I can tell she should have never gone to U of U. She should have gone to BYU(a private LDS university), where any caffiene at all is not allowed on campus.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-05, 3:21 AM #2
Also, I would like to say something else. At the high school musical this year, the drama department did "42nd Street". After the first performance, some of the words were changed. Guess what were changed? The word "damn" and the word "hell". Want to know why? Because some parent went to the director and went AWOL on her about those two words.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited February 05, 2004).]
2004-02-05, 3:26 AM #3
That's seriously ****ed up.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-05, 3:35 AM #4
THE IRONY!

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-02-05, 4:29 AM #5
She had many choices

• Chose another part. which would have proably the best way to handle it.
  • Drop out of the play.
  • Go to another collage.

But she decided to sue the school. To me it looks like she couldn't give a S*** about her religon, just wants her 15 Minutes of media attention.

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-02-05, 4:48 AM #6
Ok, It's theater, is she wants to become an actress and she succedes, she may get roles which require her to swear.

Seriously, she is Acting, i think the lord would accept tha sin if she prayed and asked for forgivness or soemthing, It's acting, not like she was acauly saying the words in everyday life, thats diffrent.

If she did not want do, I agree, find a diffrent role, drop out or go somewhere else.

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-02-05, 4:58 AM #7
I'm sure she'll have success in Hollywood some day. After all, no one swears in Hollywood productions. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2004-02-05, 6:15 AM #8
if she has this level of attention whilst in college, she is a superstar in the making.

attention whores... gotta love em.

on another note, couldn't she have just ad-libbed also... actors who flex the script to their own abilities are better than wooden crapasses anyway.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-05, 6:15 AM #9
What does it mean where it says she's "LDS"?

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-05, 6:20 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Because some parent went to the director and went AWOL on her about those two words.
</font>

I don't get it. How would the parent going Absent Without Leave convince the director to change those words?

------------------
"At last, we have come to find the truth to our souls. Though, the truth is not what we expected. I now fear my own soul."

[This message has been edited by CaptBewil (edited February 05, 2004).]
"At last, we have come to find the truth to our souls. Though, the truth is not what we expected. I now fear my own soul."
2004-02-05, 6:54 AM #11
It annoys me that all the quotes are in capitals. It made me imagine that all the people were shouting.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-05, 7:01 AM #12
This is why I left the state of Utah for good old California, and I shall never, ever return.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-02-05, 7:01 AM #13
WHAT DO YOU MEAN, ALL CAPS MAKE YOU THINK PEOPLE ARE SHOUTING? ARE DUMB OR SOMETHING?

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-05, 7:06 AM #14
...I had this big long thing written up basically comparing this thread to the Georgia evolution thing about how the religious conservatives in the state need to die, but then I hit the wrong button.

Basically, I believe her saying that the class went against her beliefs to be spurious. Like was said before, if she's an aspiring actor, then she's obviously going to get into roles requiring things that goes against her LDS beliefs, especially when almost every play other than children's theatre has things that an LDS could object to...

I dislike organized religion, especially when it's one denomination comprising at least 1/3 of a state's population because then you have things like the '42 Street' thing.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-05, 8:14 AM #15
That's funny, I know a few mormons going to U of U.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-05, 8:27 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth J:
This is why I left the state of Utah for good old California, and I shall never, ever return.

</font>

Why, does everyone shout in Utah?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-05, 8:33 AM #17
All I can say, speaking as a christian but not a LDS, and also speaking as a member of the International Thespian Society; Troop 2646, is this:

If this for a class, then she is well within her rights, and does have full protection under the constitution.

If this is an after school activity, as in where you have try outs and such, and this is actually for a production that the theater department as a club - sanctioned yet separate from the school - then this is to be regarded as 'tough luck' for her, because by trying out, it is willing participation, and therefore she should have known what she was getting into by reading the script prior to the tryout (typically, most school productions make the script or portions of it available 2 weeks prior to tryouts, and you can always look the play up).

Therefore, to summarize:

If this is for a class, good for her. They should be sued.

If this is for an after school club or troop putting on a production, then the case should be thrown out. The fact that it is a separate entity, even though working under the same umbrella as the school, and that you have to try out to get the part, shows that anyone who succeeded in doing so is a willing participant - she should have read the script beforehand, and known to avoid trying out for the part that has offensive language for her, or to turn down the part if it was offered to her (sometimes you can audition one part, and the director casts you in another).

That's my feelings on it, as both a somewhat religious person and also a theater person. In either case, fair is fair.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-05, 8:40 AM #18
Just reread it.

Saw this:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The student claims she was kicked out of the Theatre Department because she didn't want to use profanity in a classroom acting assignment.</font>

The fact that it is a CLASSROOM assignment IS discrimination. No one should be forced to violate their beliefs for a good grade, regardless if they are cultural or religious. I in that case applaud the overturning. Had this been for a production, I would be inclined to agree with you (one rule of theater is you never change the work of the scriptwriter - its considered a grave disrespect to who ever wrote it), but the fact that this was for class, she is within her full constitutional right.

I wonder how many of you would be on the other side of the fence if she was black, and was kicked out for not saying the 'n' word in a script. Same difference - discrimination based on belief.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-05, 8:48 AM #19
Many sane people consider racial slurs to be - hey, why aren't you banned?

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-05, 8:56 AM #20
Jedi mind trick - *waves hand* I am not really here. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Anyway, continuing your thought, maybe that's part of the problem - many people feel racial slurs are a big no-no, and even picking on most religions isn't right, but when it comes to something christian based - they feel they can whip it out and piss all over it, and no one should have a problem with that... where is the fairness and equality? They ALL should be bad, regardless.

------------------
2004-02-05, 8:58 AM #21
And this case is eating up valuable court time

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-05, 9:05 AM #22
Your opinion, but I beg to differ. I think she has a legit gripe. Again, NO ONE should be forced to do something against their religious or cultural beliefs for a class - that by definition is descrimination when you punish someone because they won't.

------------------
2004-02-05, 9:15 AM #23
I don't think anyone should be required to do anything against their religion in SCHOOL. Sure, if she becomes a hollywood actress, she will definitely be turning down a large number of roles, but that's fine, too. They are a private industry, not a government agency like a public school is. They certainly shouldn't KICK HER OUT OF THE SCHOOL if she doesn't want to use profanity. They should assign her a different role, or make her sit out of the play, or realize that it's very important and maybe pick a different play. People's religious beliefs are an important part of our culture and they shouldn't be so easily dismissed just because some people think profanity isn't "that big a deal."
2004-02-05, 9:26 AM #24
...All this makes me glad I didnt choose an acting career... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-05, 9:35 AM #25
I say good for her for not compromising herself. She has a set of beliefs and whether they're right or wrong is irrelevant. She's willing to stand up for them. I know plenty of people who would just grit their teeth and say their line.

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-02-05, 10:08 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
What does it mean where it says she's "LDS"?

</font>

It stands for Latter Day Saint.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-05, 10:09 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I don't think anyone should be required to do anything against their religion in SCHOOL. Sure, if she becomes a hollywood actress, she will definitely be turning down a large number of roles, but that's fine, too. They are a private industry, not a government agency like a public school is. They certainly shouldn't KICK HER OUT OF THE SCHOOL if she doesn't want to use profanity. They should assign her a different role, or make her sit out of the play, or realize that it's very important and maybe pick a different play. People's religious beliefs are an important part of our culture and they shouldn't be so easily dismissed just because some people think profanity isn't "that big a deal." </font>

bingo.

ps. what the hell is lds?!?!

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-02-05, 11:04 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What does it mean where it says she's "LDS"?
</font>
LDS = Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints = mormons

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't get it. How would the parent going Absent Without Leave convince the director to change those words?
</font>
the civilian definition of AWOL is going crazy, etc. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I in that case applaud the overturning
</font>
it hasn't been overturned yet. It's up for appeal.

I'm going to make an assumption here. I doubt the professor was restricting her to a specific part. I bet she could have just gotten another part. She probably didn't have to say many swear words, otherwise the parents would have raised hell. Thing is, I'd have to see the script to totally be sure.

------------------
2004-02-05, 1:12 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:

She should have gone to BYU(a private LDS university), where any caffiene at all is not allowed on campus.

</font>

What? Private LDS University? No caffeine on campus?? Who tells you this?

You know, it's in the Ten Commandments where it says you should not the Lord's name in vain. All christians should be against the professor doing that to her, but I think a lawsuit was overdoing it...

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-02-05, 1:16 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Why, does everyone shout in Utah?</font>

Hee hee. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-05, 1:19 PM #31
Something tells me her acting career won't be very long at all...
2004-02-05, 1:44 PM #32
Her acting career is irrelevant. This is about the school threatening to kick her out and such because she wouldn't swear due to her religious beliefs. I say she's entirely justified in the whole thing.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-05, 2:16 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whelly:
What? Private LDS University? No caffeine on campus?? Who tells you this?

You know, it's in the Ten Commandments where it says you should not the Lord's name in vain. All christians should be against the professor doing that to her, but I think a lawsuit was overdoing it...

</font>

umm.. but not everyone is a devout follower of religion.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-02-05, 3:09 PM #34
Yes, but those who ARE shouldn't be required to go against it for a class.

------------------
2004-02-05, 3:18 PM #35
Uh, this is university. She paid to be there.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-05, 3:20 PM #36
Bah. Let's not forget the Crusades or door-to-door evangelists!

Double standards! yarr!
Don't forget to me.
2004-02-05, 4:29 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What? Private LDS University? No caffeine on campus?? Who tells you this?
</font>
Private as in not funded by the government. And no caffiene as in it is discouraged or forbidden(usually discouraged) in some places because "it alters a persons state of mind". Of course, most mormons don't comply though. But BYU enforces it and the drink of choice on campus is Sprite.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited February 05, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!