Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I came a little closer than I would have like to being blown up...
I came a little closer than I would have like to being blown up...
2004-02-05, 1:30 PM #1
Okay. Yesterday my Spainsh II class went to a Spainish resturant for lunch in Portland. We ate there and we get on the bus. Waiting for the traffic light, 2 of my friends and I are sitting in the back of the bus talking, and I am looking out the back of the bus.

Then I hear a loud BOOM, the bus shakes a bit, and I see an explsion coming out off the ground. It wasn't a little one, it was a cloud of fire about 40 feet high that mushroomed as it went up. All this was a block away, and the bus was there about a minute before. Cutting it a bit close, if you ask me.

Only 3 of us on the bus saw the explosion, but the rest heard it and saw the black smoke after it exploded. We weren't sure what it was, but it was right next to the federal building, so we thought it may be a bomb.

We talked about it all the way back to school. We found out that it was an underground power transformer exploding, not a bomb. Luckily, no one was hurt and the only damage was some broken glass. But it just wasn't somthing I expected to see, usally things don't randomly explode in downtown Portland.

Here is a short news story on the event.
http://www.koin.com/webnews/2004/20040204_explosion.shtml

It was just a little unnerving.

[edit- some grammar]

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones

[This message has been edited by Clueless_of_Morg (edited February 05, 2004).]
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-02-05, 1:43 PM #2
Yikes

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-05, 1:46 PM #3
Spooky :x
glad everybody's okay

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-05, 2:43 PM #4
Sure it wasnt a toilet? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-05, 2:49 PM #5
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ya like a fatassed [plz dont ban me if that gets through]federal person taking a fart and blowing it up.
and ya that would be scary if you wuz me i would probably scream and go AHHHHHHH!!...
ya im a sissy

------------------
janitor bobs idea of rogers video: He's actually the overweight guy next door who has a HUGE selection of videos, including the entire Lethal Weapon, Halloween, and 'Ernest' series.
The advantage is is that you can 'borrow' movies for long amounts of time without him remembering that you borrowed them.

The disadvantage is the pizza cheese grime on the DVDs
2004-02-05, 4:35 PM #6
BAN HIM! BAN HIM!!

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum
(I can see your house from up here)
"But he's not going to carry you three" said Death.
"Why not?"
"It's a matter of the look of the thing"
"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it" said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse"

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-02-05, 4:51 PM #7
[Edit again]I'm way too long winded[/Edit again]
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...myself and 2 of my friends...</font>

"two of my friends and I" - You use "me" in some other situations like that, but never "myself."

*Back to the thread*
I didn't know that kind of thing would just explode! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] Did it blow a hole in the street?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobbert006 (edited February 05, 2004).]
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-05, 4:57 PM #8
Bobbert, I you almost got pwned. I was in the middle of typing that up when you edited:P

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-02-05, 5:04 PM #9
A 12,000-volt transformer exploded and no power outages were reported?

"Do not be alarmed. What you saw was swamp gasses reflecting the light of Venus. Return to your business."

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.

-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-02-05, 5:23 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yen:
A 12,000-volt transformer exploded and no power outages were reported?</font>

Apparently the western US (assuming that it's Portland, Oregon) has a much better power grid than the eastern US.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-05, 6:18 PM #11
It is in Oregon, and I was suprised too that no power outages happened. They did have to shut down the power to several buildings at 7 that night to fix it, but that was all.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-02-06, 7:09 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SithNazgul:
BAN HIM! BAN HIM!!

</font>

seconded.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-06, 7:17 AM #13
fun fun fun!

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-06, 7:40 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imsoshort:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ya like a fatassed [plz dont ban me if that gets through]federal person taking a fart and blowing it up.
and ya that would be scary if you wuz me i would probably scream and go AHHHHHHH!!...
ya im a sissy

</font>

He has to be a joke account, right? Please tell me I'm right. Please?

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-06, 9:37 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yen:
A 12,000-volt transformer exploded and no power outages were reported?

"Do not be alarmed. What you saw was swamp gasses reflecting the light of Venus. Return to your business."

</font>

I completely agree...

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-02-06, 9:43 AM #16
Quote:
BAN HIM! BAN HIM!!

</font>

thirded

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-06, 9:47 AM #17
Fourthissiled.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-02-06, 9:59 AM #18
quinted! (no ban me plx)
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-02-06, 10:33 AM #19
Quote:
BAN HIM! BAN HIM!!

</font>

I move to pass... ban him

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>

↑ Up to the top!