Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Can I rant?
Can I rant?
2004-02-05, 4:23 AM #1
I want to rant about one thing... now this isn't gonna be something about how communism is better like I know some of you now are worried about. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] But there is simply something I must state an opinion on and after my rant I want you to state your opinions about this subject too...

Okay alittle background... Canada's health care system is what is called a free health care system which is actually BS because we're paying for it through taxes. Its a good system but I have some serrious issues with it...

My biggest issue with it would have to be the fact that my tax dollars are going to pay for people who don't really deserve health care in my opinion. I mean I don't mean to sound disrespectful and you may have a diffrent opinion that is your right but I belive that smokers and people who have attempted suicide should not have priority in hospitals or tax money at all.

I mean honestly these people did this to themselves of their own free choice? Why the **** do we have to send our tax dollars to try to help them?

Now don't get my wrong I know its their rights as Canadian citizens... and they should get care but honestly they should have to pay for it themselves. I mean it comes back to the fact that these people go thru life getting sick from cigerettes or they try to slash their wrists and basically they take up room in the hospitals and take money away from health care because of a choice they make.

In my opinion which all of this is... I think if they choose to smoke or if they choose to try to kill themselves they should be forced to pay for their own care... why should we be forced to pay in higher taxs for a health care system thats supporting the stupid?

Now all of this was just my opinion... you may have a diffrent one... please feel free to analize my opinion and state your own. Thats your right... I just felt like exspressing myself today... I hope I didn't offend anyone.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-02-05, 4:31 AM #2
you pay taxes to help them

they pay taxes to help you

you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-05, 4:44 AM #3
That's your biggest concern about where your tax dollars go...?

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-05, 4:58 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
you pay taxes to help them

they pay taxes to help you

you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours.

</font>

Actually, if they're poor, chances are they scratch his back significantly less.

To think, some people want to install national healthcare in the US.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-05, 5:01 AM #5
When I lived in Canada I liked the HC system. At least its less annoying then a 20 dollar co-pay every time yo go the doctor

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-05, 5:45 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
...if they choose to try to kill themselves they should be forced to pay for their own care...</font>

"Oh my God, I'm so depressed, I can't face life anymore, I want to die."
*attempts to kill self*
*attempt failed, social worker puts me in the care of professionals*
"Oh, by the way, you're going to have to pay for all this."
"Oh my God, I can't afford this, I can't face this debt of mine, I want to die."
*attempts to kill self*

Doesn't seeem like a very good idea to me.

I agree that people that suffer illness from smoking cigarettes and the like should have to pay for their own treatment, but there are some circumstances that definately warrent the necessity of the free health care system. Suicide is by far one of those circumstances.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-05, 6:05 AM #7
First of all, smokers pay a large percentage more tax than a non smoker does. Same with drinkers (alcohol). A pack of cigarettes in Ontario os over $8 of which somewhere around $7 is taxes.

Second, I don't know how old you are or what your families financial situation is, but if you have to pay for health care and or health insurance, it's a burden on your peace of mind.
I lived in Sacramento for a year. I had to pay $378/mo. for a family of 4 for health insurance. I'd guess that somewhere around 50% of our neighbours (families) did not have, because they couldn't afford, insurance.
One of the guys I worked with has 4 boys. His oldest got some metal in his eye when he was in machine shop at school. It cost him just over $22,000 to get treatment. After that he couldn't get financing for a car because he had too much debt.
I had to drive a friend to the hospital one night because he had bad stomache cramps. Turns out he needed his apendix out immediately. Although he had insurance, he got bills in the mail ~4 weeks later for the deductables. It cost him just under $2000. But he had insurance.
My insurance had a list of hospitals and doctors that were approved. If I went to one that wasn't approved, they wouldn't cover it.

Think about this when you have to start paying for your own health care.
I can get inta a car accident 1000km away from home. Both my legs and my back will be broken and I will be in a coma for 3 days. They will transport me by ambulance to the closest hospital (and I don't have to wake up and tell them if that's an approved hospital), and they will then transport me to the nearest hospital to treat me properly (if needed). I will be in the hospital for 6 months, in traction, in rehabilitation and then discharged.
Cost to me? The ambulance ride from the accident scene to the nearest hospital and any prescription drugs I may have had to take.

Now that kind of peace of mind for me and my family is worth more than any taxes I will ever have to pay.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-05, 7:00 AM #8
Taxes are your friends.
Also University should be paid for by taxes. Society benefits from University graduates, doctors, scientists, teachers, the like, so it makes sense that society pays for it.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-05, 7:05 AM #9
This has been discussed multiple times before. Canada has nowhere the magnitude of a population as the U.S. does - nation healthcare would collapse before it got off the ground. In addition to that, if you need anything more than a broken arm mended in Canada, you're going to be number [three-digit-number] waiting in line for the exact same procedure, and the line isn't going that quickly. You're better off going to the States for things like that.

I even saved this page to my hard drive for later use.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited February 05, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-05, 7:11 AM #10
Everyone cusses up the NHS, in Britain. It's one of those running jokes that everyone makes fun of, but I think most people do prefer the NHS system to having to pay for it up-front.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-05, 7:13 AM #11
Not to mention Canada's taxes are even higher than in the U.S. because of their health care. At least I'm not paying for some idiot's medical bills that he most likely easily could have avoided. This country is having a major problem with health care right now, though. Too many fat, lazy, ignorant, sick, sue-happy Americans to make insurance affordable anymore. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] Something has to be done, becasue health insurance is ridiculous.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-05, 7:14 AM #12
I like our Healthcare system.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-05, 7:19 AM #13
Sure, it has it's down sides.. Like last year when I had a severe pneumonia and had to spend a whole day in the waiting room because people had itchy toes. But on the other hand, if you get in a situation when you need lots of healthcare and don't have much money, you'll be very glad the system is there.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-05, 7:42 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> At least I'm not paying for some idiot's medical bills that he most likely easily could have avoided</font>

Yeah, like the idiot that got hit by a bus. What an idiot. He should've stayed in the house so as not to be injured and use my tax dollars to help him.
Oh yeah and like the idiot 6 year old that went and got a genetic disease and now spends most of his lazy *** days in a hospital bed using up my hard earned tax dollars. Tell him to suck it up and get a job. I don't care about him or his family. As far as I'm concerned they can either starve to death living on the streets because they can't afford the health care bills or let him suffer in his own bed at home.

Yeah. Right. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] All people who need health care in Canada/Britain/Australia are just leeches that could have avoided they're situation.
Sorry but I hate that attitude. That, 'It's my hard earned money and I don't care about my neighbour's problems so as far as my $5000/yr is concerned, I'd rather so you die than get better so I can play more XBox games.' attitude. And if you were just joking then my appologies for going off on you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-02-05, 10:05 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
Yeah, like the idiot that got hit by a bus. What an idiot. He should've stayed in the house so as not to be injured and use my tax dollars to help him.
Oh yeah and like the idiot 6 year old that went and got a genetic disease and now spends most of his lazy *** days in a hospital bed using up my hard earned tax dollars. Tell him to suck it up and get a job. I don't care about him or his family. As far as I'm concerned they can either starve to death living on the streets because they can't afford the health care bills or let him suffer in his own bed at home.
</font>

What a way to put words in his mouth. Maybe the idiots he was referring to are the geniuses who remove the guards off their table saws and lose their hand when the board goes flying? The same geniuses who leave a nice pan of grease on the table and walk away and lose their house and suffer severe burns? The same geniuses that stick their hands into moving blades to dislodge something and lose three fingers?

I've seen the transcripts and depositions. These wonderful beacons of intelligence will sue the manufacturers of the table, the oven, and the lawn mower because they feel they weren't properly warned. I'm not willing to pay for their stupidity. If you want to neglect common sense, then you accept the consequences. Don't ask for other people to pay your idiocy.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited February 05, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-05, 10:39 AM #16
Well then he should have made that clear. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-05, 10:45 AM #17
"I don't think being stupid should be a law, but lets just remove all the safety labels and let the problem solve itself."

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-05, 10:49 AM #18
ok, im in canada, and i know much about our politics so let me tell ya something.

according to your theory, some stupid little sh** who smacks his foot on a door and it starts bleedin like a little fountain does not deserve to be using up MY precious tax payers dollars because heavens, the idiot needs to learn how to walk. he needs to get counselling about how well he walks and he can go to a private physiotherapist for that help and pay for it himself.

please.

medicare is one of the best things about canada. i love how people point out that THAT POOR PERSON is scratching our backs significantly less, yet they dont realize, that RICH PERSON is scratching the backs of about 20 people. also that you might not realize it but i bet you someone in your immediate family, or cousins/grandparents first-related family has some sort of disease where they will most likely die, yet we're paying so much money to give them therapy and keep them alive. at one point or the other, i will be paying for your baby being delivered if you manage to get a woman and have any kids, and i tell you, i will be ashamed that people like that exist.

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-02-05, 11:53 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolvie17:
at one point or the other, i will be paying for your baby being delivered if you manage to get a woman and have any kids, and i tell you, i will be ashamed that people like that exist.</font>

Pssh. We've managed to get this far in reproduction without the aid of national healthcare. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-05, 3:24 PM #20
I kinda take offense at what you said I do have a girlfriend and I love her alot thanks..

Now back to the topic...

I wasn't trying to upset anyone I love this country more than anything but I just wanna know why do I have to pay for people for being stupid. I mean look at drunk driveing if they get in an accedent why do we take care of them?

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>

[This message has been edited by MechWarrior (edited February 05, 2004).]
2004-02-05, 3:29 PM #21
Uh, we don't - we send them to jail.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-05, 3:30 PM #22
We care because the capacity for compassion and forgivness is what's supposed to make us the good guys.

Of course, maybe i'm just being too idealistic.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-05, 4:15 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Of course, maybe i'm just being too idealistic.</font>

Yes.

------------------
2004-02-06, 11:39 AM #24
we take care of the bloody people who get hurt due to drunk driving but we also make them pay large fines. fines that end up paying for YOUR healthcare.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!