Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 3D Game Engine Writing Help Needed
3D Game Engine Writing Help Needed
2004-01-25, 9:21 AM #1
If you know anything about writing a 3D engine that I can use to Create a 3D game using Game Maker and are willing to help, Please post here.

------------------
"I'm Sorry, What was that? I cant hear you over your constintent team killing."

Tucker
Red VS Blue
If every mod was like ours...no mod would get a "two"

Proud member of the Co-Op
2004-01-25, 9:52 AM #2
Good luck.

No one is going to write up a free 3d game engine for you, especially not one geared for use in Game Maker. If you are serious about making a game, go to www.garagegames.com

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)

2004-01-25, 10:40 AM #3
Yeah, a full fledged quality 3d game engine isn't exactly a week project...

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-01-25, 10:51 AM #4
Have fun. (assuming you have a coding background)

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-25, 11:01 AM #5
I'm sorry, do you want someone to answer questions and explain how to write a 3D engine?
Or do you want someone to make a 3D engine for you?

Either way, no. A 3D engine is a very large project that taps virtually every area of computer science and software engineering, requires a vast amount of time and effort, and a ton of research. If you want someone to make a 3D engine, forget it. If you don't even know where to begin, forget it.

Sorry. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-01-25, 11:09 AM #6
Let the boy figure out that this project will [probobly] fail on his own, you don't have to beat it into him, Satan.

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-01-25, 11:12 AM #7
[sarcasm]

Pfft, JUST a 3d game engine? Bah. Back in '98, when I wrote the JavaOS(tm), I wrote the whole desktop layer as a 3d environment!!! Every application was a 3d object!!! Bwahahahaha!!!!

[/sarcasm]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-25, 2:05 PM #8
yea ive spent almost a year jsut learning how to make very very very very simple directX programs. Don't expect to write a 3D engine without a degree in computer science (or an eqaul amount of self study time)

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-01-25, 2:19 PM #9
GBK, uh, shut up? It's not funny, it's really getting old. You seem to take cracks at Java every chance you get, even though you know hardly anything about it.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-25, 3:55 PM #10
I drink Java. The script gets caught in my throat and makes me throw up. That's why I throw up when I think about Javascript.
2004-01-25, 8:29 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Let the boy figure out that this project will [probobly] fail on his own, you don't have to beat it into him, Satan.

</font>

If you think I'm Satan, you're in for an eternal surprise....
2004-01-25, 11:35 PM #12
try using dark basic

------------------
stop talking in brail

300 years as jedi master i was, now i bloody night-lite

(:-) Monobrow
2004-01-25, 11:49 PM #13
Yeh, if you want to write a 3d game in a week, use Dark Basic. I only touched it once myself, and I had to whip myself several times in penance... but it works... sort of.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-01-25, 11:55 PM #14
You could also just look for an engine out there that fits your needs, and mod for it.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-26, 2:35 AM #15
You guys are missing the main problem! Game Maker is not designed for 3D engines. It's only for a 2D tile engine. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Darthyum, you need a free 3D engine with a level editor. Try Quake2 and QERadiant.

BTW, a lot of people enjoy making 3D engines.
http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html
2004-01-26, 3:40 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
A 3D engine is a very large project that taps virtually every area of computer science and software engineering</font>

Where did you get THAT from? Have you any idea a) what a 3D engine involves and b) the areas computer science covers?

All a basic 3D engine requires is some fairly basic matrix calculations.
2004-01-26, 3:47 AM #17
Since we are on the topic of Engines. Does Raven licence the Q3 engine that JA is bulit on. So one of us could actually make our own "game" not just a mod. How much do you think that would run?

------------------
One ring to rule them all. One to find them. One ring ti bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-01-26, 3:55 AM #18
If you want to get sued by Id Software, by all means, go ahead.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-26, 4:10 AM #19
How would you get sued if you paid for a licence to use the engine

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-26, 4:30 AM #20
Raven paid for a license to use ID's Engine. Thus, I would assume you would have to obtain a license from ID to use it, not Raven, since technically its not Raven's engine, they simply modified it.

And whoever said a 3D engine is not a huge project:

It is if you want it to do anything other than run a simple stupid demo all the time. You have to implement AI, Audio, 3D Acceleration, controller input, texturing, model imports, lighting, etc.

------------------

2004-01-26, 5:46 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tsukasa:
And whoever said a 3D engine is not a huge project:

It is if you want it to do anything other than run a simple stupid demo all the time. You have to implement AI, Audio, 3D Acceleration, controller input, texturing, model imports, lighting, etc.
</font>

AI is not a graphic engine issue
Audio is not a graphic engine issue
3D Acceleration is taken care of by using DirectX or OpenGL
Controller Input can be handled in many simple ways [edit: and is, again, not a graphic engine issue]
Texturing, again, is almost automatically handled for you with DirectX and OpenGL
Model Imports can be a simple text file and a basic data structure for holding them in memory [edit: and only rendering them is a graphic engine issue]
Lighting is a bit more complex, yes, but can be kept very simplistic

A well designed program with a modular approach will be able to build a *simple* graphic engine which is "good enough" fairly quickly and allow it to be upgraded with time and experience.

It is non dependent on enemy AI, player control, etc. which should be handled in completely separate modules.

[This message has been edited by Evil_Giraffe (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 6:03 AM #22
Things such as 3d acceleration, texturing, lighting, etc, etc, I agree, they are all things majorly handled by your graphics API. However, that's only the beginning.

A 3d engine used for a game such as a 1st person shooter will have frustum culling, some kind of tree format for your levels to work with frustum culling (an octree, bsp, perhaps a quadtree), collision detection as well as other physics, an animation system, a camera system, and for the more graphically inclined game a particle system. (Granted I probably missed some things, and if you are really pushed for time you can avoid things such as a particle system.)

However, those are just components of a 3d engine. A 3d engine unites all of these components so that they can be used together efficiently.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 6:06 AM #23
Isn't Quake 2's engine made so that people can make own games with it?

So what's the problem? Take just some engine and make your games with it. Simple as that.

Meh. I'm not going to start a flame war so you all probably are talking if the person who made this thread is making totally own engine from scratch... meh.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-26, 6:09 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Giraffe:
Where did you get THAT from? Have you any idea a) what a 3D engine involves and b) the areas computer science covers?

All a basic 3D engine requires is some fairly basic matrix calculations.
</font>

This topic is about 3D Game Engines, genius. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
You're thinking of a renderer.... which I would not call an 'engine'.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 6:18 AM #25
Besides this, even a 'simple' graphics engine will still require more than a matrix math library. Unless you want absolutely no optimizations whatsoever, no visibility determination, and you don't mind when your alphamapped polygons are drawn in the wrong order, of course.

A real game engine, which is what the rest of us are talking about, requires everything from sorting algorithms to compiler and OS theory. Being able to draw a triangle to the screen is not a game engine.
2004-01-26, 6:30 AM #26
Here's a great resource:
http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/index2.php

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2004-01-26, 6:42 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
Things such as 3d acceleration, texturing, lighting, etc, etc, I agree, they are all things majorly handled by your graphics API. However, that's only the beginning.</font>

No, my point was that those things combined are in fact a 3D engine on their own. Everything else is an extension, optimising the engine. It will run fine without them, albeit slower.

Quote:
This topic is about 3D Game Engines, genius. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
You're thinking of a renderer.... which I would not call an 'engine'.
</font>

Alright, I misread that. I'd still argue that an effectively modularised program can build the basic systems (graphics, physics, AI, animation) that are good enough for a start with relative ease. Then each can be improved upon separately.

It doesn't matter if, to start with, your enemy AI is reminiscent of Space Invaders. Heck, it could move completely at random and shoot straight at you, not caring what was in the way. It would work. Then you make it better.

Quote:
Besides this, even a 'simple' graphics engine will still require more than a matrix math library. Unless you want absolutely no optimizations whatsoever, no visibility determination, and you don't mind when your alphamapped polygons are drawn in the wrong order, of course.

A real game engine, which is what the rest of us are talking about, requires everything from sorting algorithms to compiler and OS theory. Being able to draw a triangle to the screen is not a game engine.
</font>

You'd already established in your previous post that I'd read the discussion wrong. If you were going to attack me for that, why not when you first pointed it out, or at least giving me a chance to respond?

My first post still stands, even a full game engine doesn't even begin to cover the full range of computer science. Admittedly, it could cover many (but by no means all) of the areas of computer programming, but take Space Invaders. That's got a full game engine in it. OS theory? nope. Compiler theory? nope. It's just moving things on a screen. It doesn't have to include all these fancy new technologies to be called a game.
2004-01-26, 6:52 AM #28
And before you tear me to shreds... Yes, Space Invaders was a bad example for a 3D game, but it was still in my head from earlier in the post, and it demonstrated the idea I was trying to get across.
2004-01-26, 7:21 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It will run fine without them, albeit slower.</font>

You make it sound like it's just a dent in the framerate. In the average 3d game, sending each vertex down the pipeline each frame would kill the framerate.

(I do see where you are coming from on the a 3d engine not having to do with every aspect of software engineering and computer science, and I pretty much agree with you.)

------------------

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-28, 1:47 PM #30
First of all, Game Maker can create 3D games. Just download Xtreme 3D or Gadget 3D. These are both engines made for use with game maker.

By the way, Where would I find the Q2 Engine?

------------------

Tucker
Red VS Blue

2004-01-28, 1:55 PM #31
Buy Quake 2.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-28, 2:57 PM #32
It comes with Quake 2?

------------------

Tucker
Red VS Blue

2004-01-28, 3:21 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darthyun:
It comes with Quake 2?

</font>

Q2 = Quake 2. Obviously it would contain the engine it runs on.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-01-28, 5:01 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darthyun:
It comes with Quake 2?

</font>

Im sorry I cant get over how stupid that question was.

------------------
Nightfire Mod
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-01-28, 5:18 PM #35
Uh, yeah, but not necessarily the source code, unless it has been repackaged.

------------------
2004-01-28, 5:31 PM #36
oooo sorry i dont know stuff about engines i just assumed th whole package came with the game or sumthin.

------------------
Nightfire Mod
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-01-29, 2:34 PM #37
Engine can be found at: http://www.idsoftware.com/

And no, like Emon said, I wouldn't expect the engine source to come with Quake 2.

------------------

-Albert Einstein
2004-01-29, 9:02 PM #38
There's some cool Quake II engine mods than can actually run Quake III bsp's and are working on other things. QFusion might be a good start to work from. If you get permission, use it and work from there...

http://hkitchen.quakesrc.org/

------------------
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

-Tazz
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-01-29, 10:59 PM #39
The Quake 2 source doesn't come with the retail package. If you're totally new at this sort of thing, the Q2 source might be a pretty good place to start - the tools available for it are already quite mature and most people are familiar with it. The only catch is, of course, the GPL. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-01-30, 11:59 AM #40
Ewww...GPL... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited January 30, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!