Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help Sarn get started wtih Linux!!
Help Sarn get started wtih Linux!!
2004-02-06, 4:39 AM #41
Ooooh, I like that bad relationship analogy.

Linux is for people who get a warm fuzzy feeling when they manage to achieve something remarkably simple using as complicated a method as possible [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-06, 3:44 PM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silent_Rhapsody:
Speaking of KDE...

I'm currently running mandrake, and upon installation chose gnome to try it out. I hate it. is there any way to change it to KDE without re-installing?

Also, we've run into another problem due to choices at installation. Originally, we chose it to automatically log in one person, because I'm the only one really using it in my family. But we can't find a way to log in the other users, or root for that matter. Any help?

</font>

*crickets....bickering...more crickets* anybody?

------------------
Tell me not in mournful numbers, Life is but an empty dream, For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not as they seem. Life is real, Life is ernest, the grave is not it's goal; Dust thou art, Dust thou returnest, Was not spoken of the soul.
~William Shakespeare
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only
if there is a light from within.
-Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
2004-02-06, 3:58 PM #43
rpmdrake
and install it?

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-08, 2:40 AM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silent_Rhapsody:

quote:Originally posted by Silent_Rhapsody:
Speaking of KDE...

I'm currently running mandrake, and upon installation chose gnome to try it out. I hate it. is there any way to change it to KDE without re-installing?
Also, we've run into another problem due to choices at installation. Originally, we chose it to automatically log in one person, because I'm the only one really using it in my family. But we can't find a way to log in the other users, or root for that matter. Any help?

*crickets....bickering...more crickets* anybody?

</font>

Open Mandrake Control Center, in the "Boot" section select "DrakBoot helps you set up how your system boots." Here, in the section "System mode," select "No, I don't want autologin." This will make Mandrake ask for a user name and password every time you reboot (letting you select other users) and while logging in, you can choose the desktop env. you wish from a dropdown menu. Also, to change users from anywhere in KDE, just press Ctrl-Alt-Del.

To login as root, open a console and type "su" - then the password for root that you provided in the installation process.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
That's just the commercial distributions. Most of them have only compiled for a generic x86 platform, so it doesn't use any of the special processor features that even Windows uses. Recompiling yourself would make things a lot faster.</font>

Can you (or anyone?) point me to a website or something that explains recompiling with specific processor features enabled?

[This message has been edited by MaD CoW (edited February 08, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!