Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → so whose going to be editing what?
so whose going to be editing what?
2004-02-05, 2:25 PM #1
I've been in editing retirement for basically 4-5 years now (that one half-assed duel level for CCCP aside) mainly because I didn't have the time and also didn't really see anything out there I wanted to edit.

With this new wave of next generation games that are supposedly going to be very mod friendly though (Far Cry, HL2, Doom 3, etc), I've started thinking about it again. I have no idea which I'll edit or what I'll do, but it's something I want to look at.

What are the rest of you guys looking towards? Sticking with JO/JA? I kinda find it depressing that LEC is so far behind the game now.....when JK came out, there was a lot of talk of it vs Quake 2 and the series really seemed to be at the forefront of the FPS genre. Well, until Half-Life arrived anyway. Now it's kind of way back in the field and as a consequence I don't know if I'll be editing in the SW universe again....any time soon anyway. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Maybe with Simon Jeffries gone things at LEC will take a turn for the better.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-05, 2:33 PM #2
Time magazine, should things go my way for the next 30 years or so [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-05, 2:34 PM #3
I wanted to edit JO/JA, but it had craptastic singleplayer support. Then I wanted to edit Half-Life 2, but no one honestly has any idea when that will come out - and to be honest, I've lost any excitement that I once had for it. Then I wanted to edit Republic Commando, but I doubt its staying power, both in regards to gameplay and graphics (current-gen unreal engine is about to be overtaken).

I saw the Far Cry engine video and the editor looks amazing, and the demo was great. Normalmapping, dynamic lighting indoors, great terrain and foliage, and apparently easy to use tools. Plus, it's supposed to be out at the end of March, and they've been hitting their milestones so far. So I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be headed for my stormtrooper mod..

[This message has been edited by Jipe (edited February 05, 2004).]
2004-02-05, 2:34 PM #4
Looking forward to Far Cry. Half-Life 2 has kinda lost it for me. I'll still play it, but I'm no longer excited about it.
2004-02-05, 3:00 PM #5
I'll still be editing JO/JA, and I'll stick with answering FAQs on the editing forum. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Maybe I'll give RtCW editng a try again. But the single-player mode of the game is annoying. .AAS files..eck

Maybe, just maybe, I'll go back to editing and hexing 8-bit roms too.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-05, 3:08 PM #6
I want to edit Knights of the Old Republic..

/me kicks Lucasarts in the groin.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-05, 3:11 PM #7
I might start editing whatever seems to be the most popular of the games.. Whatever people are most likely to download and play if I make something

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-05, 3:13 PM #8
Uhh...

Uhh...

I write gimpy DAOC UIs that bog down crappy systems now... lol
2004-02-05, 3:13 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
I want to edit Knights of the Old Republic..

/me kicks Lucasarts in the groin.

</font>

OMG. When I glanced at that sentence quickly I thought "kick" was "lick" O_O

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-05, 3:34 PM #10
i'll be sticking with editing older games since my computer kinda blows... i might try editing for ut2k3 once i get it...

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-05, 3:41 PM #11
I've all but retired from editing. Haven't done much of any work in about 4 months

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-02-05, 3:48 PM #12
I think Ill edit this wonderful new game called "JK". Its great. Theres this level for it, called "JED", yeah, its great too....

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-05, 3:54 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think Ill edit this wonderful new game called "JK". Its great. Theres this level for it, called "JED", yeah, its great too....</font>

Same. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-02-05, 3:57 PM #14
I'll be editing one day, really! It's why I was sticking around Massassi in the first place...

So uh... yeah, I dunno. Whatever editor starts allowing me to make the map with a graphic tablet or somehting... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

(One day...)

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Mythos Solais
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-02-05, 11:07 PM #15
I'll be editing HL2, creating "The Legends of Caine". Hopefully a series of levels and mods telling the story of the first Vampires in ancient Mesopotamia.

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-02-05, 11:22 PM #16
Im gonna stick with GBK and darth slaw and edit jk. I did try to edit deus ex once but it requiers to much work time effort and a certain level of no life.

------------------
Nightfire Mod

[This message has been edited by a_person (edited February 06, 2004).]
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-02-05, 11:54 PM #17
I'm staying with JA, though I'll be definitely checking out Doom 3.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-02-06, 11:37 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jipe:
I wanted to edit JO/JA, but it had craptastic singleplayer support. Then I wanted to edit Half-Life 2, but no one honestly has any idea when that will come out - and to be honest, I've lost any excitement that I once had for it. Then I wanted to edit Republic Commando, but I doubt its staying power, both in regards to gameplay and graphics (current-gen unreal engine is about to be overtaken).

I saw the Far Cry engine video and the editor looks amazing, and the demo was great. Normalmapping, dynamic lighting indoors, great terrain and foliage, and apparently easy to use tools. Plus, it's supposed to be out at the end of March, and they've been hitting their milestones so far. So I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be headed for my stormtrooper mod..

[This message has been edited by Jipe (edited February 05, 2004).]
</font>

I am interested in this "Stormtrooper mod". Can you explain it a bit more? Multiplay.. or?

I suppose it all depends on whether farcry has good netcode :P

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-06, 11:43 AM #19
I will be editing this post.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association

[This message has been edited by MikeC (edited February 06, 2004).]
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-02-06, 3:07 PM #20
Easy choice! If you want to make SP mods, and maybe get a job, learn Doom 3. For MP mods, learn Half-Life 2.

I wouldn't bother with Far Cry. It could easily end up like Serious Sam.
2004-02-06, 3:53 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
I will be editing this post.

</font>

lol, I love it.

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-02-06, 7:57 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UGG:
Easy choice! If you want to make SP mods, and maybe get a job, learn Doom 3. For MP mods, learn Half-Life 2.

I wouldn't bother with Far Cry. It could easily end up like Serious Sam.
</font>

It's not the same as Sam though, the gameplay is totally different.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-06, 11:32 PM #23
I meant that it could be mostly ignored by modders and developers. The Serious Sam mod scene is almost dead, and the games using it's engine are lame eg. Deer Hunter 2003, Carnivores: Cityscape, and Alpha Black Zero

Other games that are sure to have mod tools are:
Battlefield Vietnam
Operation Flashpoint 2
Thief 3
Serious Sam 2
Quake 4
2004-02-08, 5:32 AM #24
I'm definately gonna finish these two JK levels I'm working on. After that, it's a OFP level I was working on with a mate 3 years ago.

After that... I dunno...

I've got a 2200 sector JK level, but atm it hasn't been worked on since mid 2003, it was a struggle against HOM the last time round anyway, might have been adjoin limit as I redid that section three times. It was intended to be roughly 5 times the size it currently is. I think I may have to convert the entire level into the mother of all 3do's to get around some limits in JK...

↑ Up to the top!