Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → KotOR
KotOR
2003-12-08, 4:40 AM #1
I know this isnt the first thread we've had about this game, but there arent any recent ones so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just got this game, and... wow. Its the first RPG I've played in years, and I'd forgotten how much fun they can be. I lost a significant portion of my weekend to this game. Its extremely addictive and I can't stop playing it. Great storyline, great gameplay, plenty of interesting locations to visit, and great new music to top it all off. Anyone who hasnt gotten this game yet needs to run, not walk, to their nearest gaming store to purchase it.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-08, 4:48 AM #2
yes, it's great ;D
i've had a few technical problems... but i think i've solved them.

i played a light-side soldier all the way through Dantooine and on to Tatooine... but dropped that character because light side is no fun [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

right now i'm about to leave Taris as an almost completely Dark-ie scoundrel (=

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-08, 4:57 AM #3
Couldnt agree more. I havent been this addicted to a game for this long since AC. The story is fantastic, things are constantly changing and although the overall progression path is linear, there's a lot of non-linearity in chosing how you get there. And that final twist... woah. The characters are fantastic too. There's a real mix of interesting personas, and with the exception of Mission I always have a hard time deciding who will tag along (she sucks). Canderous always has some interesting things to say, Bastila is almost a necessity before you develop your own force powers, the droids are just plain fun, and then there's the Wookie. Who wouldnt want to explore the Star Wars universe with a Wookie a sidekick?

My only regret is taking the light path first time round, some of the dark responses are nothing short of hilarious.

I only have a few minor complaints about KotOR: The game gets a little easy once someone in your group gets the AoE Stasis. Why cant I look up and down?? And why do the aliens seemingly repeat the most annoying of their speech wavs the most frequently? I swear I'll scream every time I hear that Rodian one and that male Twileck one when playing it through on dark.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-08, 5:18 AM #4
I loved it right up until I reached the Unknown World, at which point it dawned on me: This is going to be just the same as every recent Star Trek game; run around the galaxy looking for clues, interesting plot twist about 3/4 of the way through, ancient technology with potential to doom the galaxy blah blah.

All the planets short of Taris had exactly the same formula (Taris was fantastic, as was Kashyyyk since I did it first), after that the thing that held my interest most was subquests.

I'm not saying it's not an excellent game, but Bioware is capable of so much more in terms of plot and longivity. Once that one plot twist was revealed, the rest of the game was predictable.

There are plenty of subquests but without being able to access Taris later in the game, the number of locations in which to do them is sorely limited.

I would give it a healthy 85%, I want to rate it higher but I can't justify it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-08, 5:19 AM #5
I'm planning to get it after the holidays (just can't afford it right now). I'll probably buy it used on Amazon (used price is almost down to $30 already).

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2003-12-08, 5:24 AM #6
There is a way to look up, I forget what the function is called, but the default key is capslock. It's not the same thing as free look mind you, but it gives you the ability to take some nice first person screenshots.

------------------
"And I listen for the whisper of your sweet insanity, while I formulate denials of your affect on me. You're a stranger, so what do I care. Vanish today, not the first time I hear, all the lies..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2003-12-08, 5:29 AM #7
Yeah, it is linear...which is disappointing, but I wasn't really expecting BG. I wanted a good SW RPG and they delivered. Now, a BG-type game in the SW universe...that would be awesome.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2003-12-08, 5:30 AM #8
I'd give it about 90%. Great game, one of the best I've ever played.
2003-12-08, 5:46 AM #9
All I have to say is that the twist in the story line is incredible... And I can't wait to play the game as a full out darkie after I beat it.
sigs are fun stuff
2003-12-08, 6:14 AM #10
This is by far the best game I have played in a very long time. I demand a NWN/BG style Star Wars RPG!

------------------
Eat the pudding.
2003-12-08, 7:14 AM #11
I'm getting it for Christmas but don't know when I'll play it. I'm still working on Galaxies.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-08, 7:19 AM #12
I just got the game too, I spent almost 9 hours this weekend playing it. I went to tatooine first, cause I wanted to see how the anchorhead in KotOR was different from the anchorhead in SWG (ALOT DIFFERENT!!!)

Also, the passage of time from this game til the Imperial Times doesnt make any sense at all.. I mean, Thats ALL theyve done to droids in 4,000 Years? The Ebon Hawk is just a stones throw from the millenium falcon (Quod Lasers and all).. This angered me slightly

I agree, the game is amazing, I love my party (Consists of my Light Jedi with sith clothing, 2 red lightsabers and sam fisher goggles, Bastila with jedi knight clothing I got off of nemos body on dantooine and a double bladed red saber and Mission, with two prototype blasters) and I love the side quests. The thing I hate, although I know it has to be like this, is that being on the light side is farking impossible. I could just kill some tuskens, but no, I have to do like 200 things to talk to the tuskens then I have to get them to agree with me, and then I get no money.. grrr..

Anyway, On a related note, What can i do with these racing credits or whatever, the ones you get from winning the swoop races.. I have like 110 of them.. Where can I use them? Matta said they were worth about 60c a piece, which would mean I have about 6600c worth of these things, but I dont know how or where to use them

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-08, 7:46 AM #13
You sell them, fishstickz.

------------------
Juztyn
Taking credit for: Canyon Stream, Higher Ground, The Space Between, Death's Dome (mlp3), bits of JKRPG, and the entire Showcase forum, damnit!... Visit SWGalaxies.net for the latest Star Wars: Galaxies information!
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2003-12-08, 7:56 AM #14
I sold them on Yavin station for 120 each.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-08, 8:10 AM #15
I really want to play this game, but I don't have an XBox and my computer can't play it. Though it's unlikely, I sure hope they port it to the Gamecube.

I've heard so much about this plot twist. I really want to play this game so I can find out what it is.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2003-12-08, 8:20 AM #16
fishstickz, if you do the lightside quest for teh Tuskens, the leader gives you his Gaffe stick, which you can then sell. Also, if you start snooping around the in the Tuskne's stuff, they become hostile and you can kill them that way without getting DS points.

I'm beat the game as a light side and now I'm playng dark side, which s really, really fun [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-08, 8:58 AM #17
Wheres the yavin station!!

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-08, 9:16 AM #18
I need this game. Any game made by Bioware is bound to b awesome... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2003-12-08, 10:03 AM #19
rawr! i'm having so many crashes =(
i tried to install the latest ATI drivers but they don't like my system =/

------------------
"Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support."
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2003-12-08, 10:07 AM #20
The new ATI drivers hate me. I installed them and windows take up to 5 seconds to minimize... horrible.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2003-12-08, 10:16 AM #21
I got crashed about every 30 minutes or so, always when I went into a menu/loading/saving screen. If it happened on a loading screen it would corrupt every savegame I had used in that session of the game (ie multiple saves and backups don't work unless you constantly exit and reload).
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-08, 10:53 AM #22
The game only crashed on me once and I was just able to load my game back up. I didn't have any grahpical glitches either...
EDIT: Actually, I did have problems with memory leakage (the game got all jerky, I had been playing for hours [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]), but I just restarted my comp and the game ran smoothly again.

[This message has been edited by Evil_Tofu (edited December 08, 2003).]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2003-12-08, 11:14 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Wheres the yavin station!!

</font>

It's sort of on the top right side of the navagation map. Also, it's PC only.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2003-12-08, 11:58 AM #24
Does more of Yavin station become accessable? There are those 2 locked doors in the first room... I'm not very far into the game yet though, so it seems to me that they could be accessable some way later on.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-08, 4:00 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
I swear I'll scream every time I hear that Rodian one and that male Twileck one when playing it through on dark.</font>

"Kaaaaaah-cheee-koo-heedahgah-gooonga..."

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2003-12-08, 4:01 PM #26
No, but you have to go back a few times to advance the story with the Rodian on the station. Eventually, it will unlock some really rare items

------------------
Pissed Off?
2003-12-08, 4:52 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Archimedes:
"Kaaaaaah-cheee-koo-heedahgah-gooonga..."</font>

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-08, 6:14 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Archimedes:
"Kaaaaaah-cheee-koo-heedahgah-gooonga..."
</font>

Yeah, that's the one.
Awesome game, by the way. First time through was as a male lightside soldier/guardian, this time is a female darkside scoundrel/consular. Fun fun.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2003-12-08, 9:17 PM #29
I love how your charcater slowly gets all pale and evil looking as you take the dark path

------------------
Pissed Off?
2003-12-09, 3:55 AM #30
FYI: 1.01 patch is out.

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/Kotor.htm

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!