Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DVD copy question
DVD copy question
2004-02-08, 6:26 PM #1
I'm using DVD-shrink 5 to copy DVD discs using my new 2.4x DVD burner with the intent of making a backup for my own useage. (before you ask: I already legally bought and own the original DVDs that i'm trying to copy, along with the souls of the people that produced them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] )

I've managed to rip the video from the main movie (which pretty much fills up a standard DVD+R disc (what I wouldn't give for a dual-layer DVD+R disk, but they don't exist to the best of my knowledge, or if they do, they are out of my price range.)

Anyway, i have a pretty decent-quality rip of the movie footage, but I've had the following problems:

1. there is no sound in the VOB files that were ripped to my hard drive. How do I get sound? I preview the VOB files in DVD2AVI, but although the ripped footage plays, I hear nothing but silence.

2. When I tried to play the DVD disc (after burning it in Nero 6) the DVd player wouldn't reconize it and my DVD+RW drive wouldn't, either. Apparently, files were burned in RAW format, which is apparently something that can't be read by regular DVD players. ( I probably wasted a DVD+R disc on this one [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] . Even though it only cost me a dollar to buy the discs individually, I'm still pissed) How do i keep this problem from happening again by burning a disk in a format that my DVd player can read?

Please advise.

[edit)

I want a high-quality duplicate of the movie above all else, even if it means sacrificing all bonus features. I prefer dolby, but i'm willing to settle for stereo. (my tv only has 2 speakers anyway) Thus, compressing the entire DVD by 50% (dual-layer DVDs are somewhere around 8GB, whereas DVD+R discs are only half that size) --resulting in terrible video quality loss-- is not an option that I'm willing to consider. I'd rather lose content over quality.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited February 08, 2004).]

2004-02-08, 6:39 PM #2
I've backed up using DVD shrink before (something I'm glad I did after one of our dvds had an "accident" caused by our 9 yr old). Never had any probs....did you make sure the sound was selected too? I'm at work so can't check, but I thought the audio might be under a seperate check box.

When burning with Nero, which burn 'profile' did you select? The DVD-video one?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I want a high-quality duplicate of the movie above all else, even if it means sacrificing all bonus features. I prefer dolby, but i'm willing to settle for stereo. (my tv only has 2 speakers anyway) Thus, compressing the entire DVD by 50% (dual-layer DVDs are somewhere around 8GB, whereas DVD+R discs are only half that size) --resulting in terrible video quality loss-- is not an option that I'm willing to consider. I'd rather lose content over quality.</font>

With DVD shrink it is possible to ditch all the audio commentaries, menus, subtitles, etc etc. There is a tutorial at dvdrhelp.com on using DVDshrink btw, I found it very handy.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-08, 6:53 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
I've backed up using DVD shrink before (something I'm glad I did after one of our dvds had an "accident" caused by our 9 yr old). Never had any probs....did you make sure the sound was selected too? I'm at work so can't check, but I thought the audio might be under a seperate check box.

When burning with Nero, which burn 'profile' did you select? The DVD-video one?

</font>

I'm not sure which profile I selected. (didn't really notice at the time) It was my first DVD burn. i've burned countless Cds, I just expected it to work like a data cd would after it finished burning.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
With DVD shrink it is possible to ditch all the audio commentaries, menus, subtitles, etc etc. There is a tutorial at dvdrhelp.com on using DVDshrink btw, I found it very handy.

[/b]</font>

I opted for the feature film with compression at 12%. This allowed for dolby and subtitles, but nothing else.

I didn't burn the menus, could that have been the problem? (according to a tutorial i read, it sounded like it would just work if you dumped the VOB files to the VIDEO_TS folder on the disc and played the finished product in your DVD player or drive.

the contents of the folder were:

VTS_01_0.VOB

VTS_02_0.VOB

VTS_03_0.VOB

VTS_04_0.VOB

(1 GB apiece)

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

2004-02-08, 7:06 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm not sure which profile I selected. (didn't really notice at the time) It was my first DVD burn. i've burned countless Cds, I just expected it to work like a data cd would after it finished burning.</font>

The profiles should be in a drop down box or list somewhere when you are first telling NERO to make a DVD. There are several DVD profiles for data, video or music if I recall. See if you can find "DVD video". It'll layout all the folders in the right order...then it's just a matter of dragging the VOBs into VIDEO_TS if it's just a simple DVD.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I didn't burn the menus, could that have been the problem?</font>

Doubt it, if all I'm backing up is the main movie I always ditch the menus and it's always worked.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I opted for the feature film with compression at 12%. This allowed for dolby and subtitles, but nothing else.</font>

Might as well ditch the subtitles and any audio tracks but the main one. I've never looked at reducing the quality of a dolby audio track but I doubt it'd make a huge difference in saving space.

12% compression? That sounds heavily compressed to me....ack stupid work, I'll double-check when I get home [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited February 08, 2004).]
2004-02-08, 7:12 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:

12% compression? That sounds heavily compressed to me....ack stupid work, I'll double-check when I get home [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

It's not that bad, you just get some slight horizontal banding on high-detail areas, but other than that it looks nearly as good as the original footage on a monitor (which is probably comparable to HDTV quality), on a low-def TV (which is what I have) it would probably look much worse.

VCd would probably look a whole lot worse no matter what you play it on. It's still better than home-taped VHS.

Original DVD > 12% compression > VCD > VHS.

------------------

2004-02-08, 7:41 PM #6
You might find some answers here.
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.

↑ Up to the top!