Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Human nature question...
Human nature question...
2004-02-09, 9:57 AM #1
Let's say you have a close friend. But the friend has to be gone for 3 years off to some place (like Cuba or something.) Anyway, because you are his closest friend, he gives you this heavy suitcase to hold on to until he comes back. BUT he tells you NOT to look at the contents inside the suitcase. He says its "personal" and "top-secret."

As a honest poster, would you eventually look into the suitcase, due to curiosity, even though there is a possiblity your friend would know you did? How about if he would never know?

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-09, 9:58 AM #2
I might eventually. And that's being honest. But I also might just tuck it away somewhere, and forget I had it.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-09, 10:12 AM #3
Definately not. My honesty is something I greatly value.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-09, 10:17 AM #4
I wouldn't. I'd throw it in the closet and forget about it.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-09, 10:18 AM #5
Hmm.. well, for me, it'd entirely depend on *his* nature, as I'd determine from it what I might guess to be the contents. Like, if he had any major weakness of personality that I knew of, I would end up determining if the suitcase had anything potentially hazardous (as in, not necessarily physically harmful, but unlawful and harmful to one's reputation). But if I thought it simply contained something he saw as an embarrassment, and was harmless.. then, nah, I could control myself. More accurately, I couldn't care less.

[This message has been edited by moneyobie (edited February 09, 2004).]
2004-02-09, 10:20 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
..As a honest poster, would you eventually look into the suitcase, due to curiosity, even though there is a possiblity your friend would know you did? How about if he would never know?</font>

The second he stepped out the door. It might be money. If it was, Id shoot him in the back as he walked away. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-09, 10:20 AM #7
Reminds me of that part in The Godfather

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-09, 10:21 AM #8
I'd tell the guy that I needed to know the contents of the container before he gave it to me for safekeeping. If someone is: 1.) Leaving the country for an extended period of time, and 2.) Needs to leave a conspicuous object with you for that time, something's amiss.
2004-02-09, 10:29 AM #9
I'd probally lose it, then give him another suitcase when he got back

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-09, 10:41 AM #10
Jon brings up a good point.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.rot13.com" TARGET=_blank>Wnav "Xebxb" Ghbzvara
w_ghbzvara@yhhxxh.pbz</A>
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-02-09, 10:49 AM #11
I agree with Jon. Plus, if the guy trusts you enough to keep the thing for him, he should trust you enough to tell you without your having to look. That would also get your curiosity out of the way before it ever gets a chance to make you do something you would regret.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-09, 1:06 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
I wouldn't. I'd throw it in the closet and forget about it.

</font>

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-09, 1:10 PM #13
If it's a good friend of mine, I'll hold it and not look. Doesn't matter what's in it (of course, none of my FRIENDS would ask me to hold something that would pose a danger).
2004-02-09, 1:19 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'd tell the guy that I needed to know the contents of the container before he gave it to me for safekeeping. If someone is: 1.) Leaving the country for an extended period of time, and 2.) Needs to leave a conspicuous object with you for that time, something's amiss.</font>

^
|
What Saurjon said.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-09, 1:23 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
The second he stepped out the door. It might be money. If it was, Id shoot him in the back as he walked away. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

So I'm nopt the only self-serving ******* in the world... how reassuring.

------------------
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-02-09, 1:28 PM #16
I agree with Jon

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-09, 2:29 PM #17
The question depends on how close the friend is... If they're merely a friend, most people would open the suitcase eventually.

Personally, I would ask as to why my friend would need to leave something like that to me, and if the answer was satisfactory (which could be difficult in such suspicious conditions), I would store it away someplace very safe... Probably locked away, so that nobody would be looking inside of it.

Of course, a plausable reason for leaving a heavy suitcase might be because it contains personal journals (this might be what was originally implied).

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited February 09, 2004).]
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-09, 4:02 PM #18
I bet if you open the suitcase a big springy snake will jump out and scare the crap out of you.

------------------
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
-Steven Wright
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
-Steven Wright
2004-02-09, 4:17 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by erik314:
I bet if you open the suitcase a big springy snake will jump out and scare the crap out of you.

</font>

THAT was funny

------------------
*landfish 'splodes*
7 of 14
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-02-09, 4:18 PM #20
if he was going to Cuba i would be worried about him in the first place. and defanitally if the suitcase began to stink with in a week i would definatlly open it. but other than that, no i would put it in my attic and leave it there.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-02-09, 4:22 PM #21
Cuba can first in my mind, I could have chose another country..but meh...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-09, 4:45 PM #22
I think that I'd think to myself, "I'm not going to open it." And then I'd realize, if he's gone for years, the curiousity would eat me alive. So I'd take a peak. If it's something personal, like journals, I wouldn't read them. I wouldn't take anything in it (money, jewelery, ect), but I don't think I could live with the curiousity.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-09, 4:50 PM #23
I'd open it up and hope it was drugs. If it was drugs, I'd sell them. I suspect if he was going to Cuba, he was a pinko commie f** anyway and didn't have a need for material possessions.
2004-02-09, 4:51 PM #24
No, I wouldn't open it.

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-02-09, 6:13 PM #25
I'd ask him a lot of questions about it. I might do some shaking, might weigh it, I might open it very slightly so that nothing can get out.

There's a lot of things I might do, but either way I'll have a damned good idea what's in the case by the time he gets back, regardless of whether or not I technically "open" it.
2004-02-09, 6:54 PM #26
I'd open it... if it was so important he had to give it to me for 3 years I damn well better know whats in it before the cops or some **** comes in and busts my *** ... I don't give a damn if this dude is your "friend" or whatever cuz you never know... he might have a side to em that you don't know about.

Speaking of friends, how much of a friend do you think you are to your best friend? If someone offered you a billion dollars in the case that you had to never talk to your friend again, would you accept it?

------------------
My Tracks
2004-02-09, 7:00 PM #27
Em Playa, It depends which of my friends it was. Some yes, others no.

------------------
################### Life is like a network of roads you keep
###OOO#######OOO### on running till you hit a dead end!
##O#O#O##O##O#O#O##
###OOO##OOO##OOO### Why live to suffer when to live doesn't
########OOO######## mean to suffer?
##OOO##OOOOO##OOO##
###OOO#######OOO### We live, we die, live with it!
####OOOOOOOOOOO####
#####OOOOOOOOO##### Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
################### @%
2004-02-09, 7:03 PM #28
...I wouldn't trust my friends if they handed me a paper bag, let alone a suitcase.
Those bees all have paws!
2004-02-09, 7:04 PM #29
If you were the "friend" in that scenario, would you as a TRUE friend tell them to accept the cash?

I would accept the money... I mean, what's to tell you that the friend won't die a year later? Or stabs you in the back over a girl or somethin? A billion bucks would have you and many generations of your kids be set for life.

Not to mention that you could help many people by giving some of that cash to charities.

Would that friend be worth giving ALL that up?

------------------
My Tracks
2004-02-09, 7:49 PM #30
You could always accidentally drop it down elevator shafts and stairwells until it burst open of its own accord.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-09, 7:55 PM #31
What's the point? If you're that desperate in opening it - just open it... better than blatantly lying to your friend that it somehow fell down the stairs 20 times.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-02-09, 8:19 PM #32
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=joke

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-09, 8:20 PM #33
If it was someone I was just 'friends' with, or didnt know all that well, I'd tell them I had to know what was in the suitcase first. But for a good/best friend, sure I'd hang on to it without ever looking inside.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-09, 8:47 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
If it was someone I was just 'friends' with, or didnt know all that well, I'd tell them I had to know what was in the suitcase first. But for a good/best friend, sure I'd hang on to it without ever looking inside.

</font>

Though, I'd probably charge them rent...

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-10, 1:27 AM #35
First off, I only have one friend, And if he told me to keep a breifcase for him and not look in it I would do it.
If I was in a shakey relationship with someone (And by this I do not mean a sexual relationship or anything like that) I would probably have a look, if it was something I liked......I would shoot him/her for it.

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.

[This message has been edited by Chaotic Ghost (edited February 10, 2004).]
2004-02-10, 7:51 AM #36
I wouldn't open it, but I would get it X-rayed. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-10, 10:36 AM #37
Oooh, trixy.

What if it was a lead suitcase though?

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-10, 10:46 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
Oooh, trixy.

What if it was a lead suitcase though?

</font>

Then you can assume there's plutonium in it

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-10, 10:55 AM #39
Or maybe he just didn't want Superman to see inside.

↑ Up to the top!