Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Question about backups
Question about backups
2004-02-10, 6:23 PM #1
(as far as I know they are not illegal aslong as you own the actual game, Please correct me if I'm wrong)

So, I tend to make backups of my important games, because I leave the CDs out, they get scratched up. etc etc, some get corrupted or break or something goes wrong.

So I made a backup of my new copy of JA.

Worked fine, except for the fact that it won't start, doesn't ask for a CD. it just does nothing.

SP Won't start, MP starts but gets to menu and crashes.

So any ideas? let me remind you that this is NOT warez or illegal copying. it is simply backing up a game I'm afraid I'll screw up.

If I am wrong about backups in the EULA, please correct me so this thread can be proporly closed.

------------------
"In the memory you'll find me. Eyes burning up.
The darkness holding me tightly.
Untill the sun rises up."
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-02-10, 6:37 PM #2
sounds like the JA disc uses some form of copy protection this would be the most likely cause of the problems... there is software that allows you to copy a copy protected disc perfectly so the copy will work but i don't have a link

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-10, 6:54 PM #3
I have tried making JA backup disks before..
They always did the same thing your's are doing.

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.
2004-02-10, 8:18 PM #4
http://www.gamecopyworld.com

IF YOU VISIT THIS SITE YOU DAMN WELL BETTER OWN THE GAME BECAUSE OTHERWISE I'M AIDING IN YOUR PIRACY AND I DON'T WANT TO BE BANNED BECAUSE YOU SUCK KTHXBYE.

GameCopyWorld gives instructions on how to copy almost every game that comes out for backup purposes. However, they do offer illegal material (such as cracks), so use what you find responsibly.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-11, 7:42 AM #5
From what I remember (I can't find the site), International copyright law provides "licensees" (or customers) of software to make at least one (it varies) copy for archival uses only, which is what Oberfeldwebell is doing. It's part of the double-edged deal that is software licensing... software companies are required to allow it, in order for them to prohibit other things, such as ripping material for use in something else (such as using JO/JA textures in JK). I've seen a couple (very few) EULAs that claim you can't make backup copies, but I'm pretty sure they're thumbing their nose at International Copyright Law, and thus I'd simply reccomend avoiding such a rogue company.

As for your problems, it appears that your CD burner is fixed to work with copy protection. While this does help reduce piracy, it also hinders perfectly legitimate software backup. Virtually all modern CDs (music or software) have tags imbedded in them, that will tell the copying process that it can't continue. Some burners simply "raw copy", not caring what the CD says. For others, you can get methods to backup your disk from sites such as the one mentioned by Yecti. Remember, if you do make successful backup copies, they are legally tied to the original; if you transfer ownership of the original disk, either give the backups with it, or destroy them. If the original disk is ruined, keep it to keep your backups legitimate.

There's a fine line... Many companies don't want you to make backup copies; If the original is ruined, they believe you should buy another copy, so that they make yet more profit... However, their concerns over piracy are legitimate beyond their own bottom line, and extra caution should be taken to keep one's activities legal...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-11, 9:37 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:
From what I remember (I can't find the site), International copyright law provides "licensees" (or customers) of software to make at least one (it varies) copy for archival uses only, which is what Oberfeldwebell is doing. It's part of the double-edged deal that is software licensing... software companies are required to allow it, in order for them to prohibit other things, such as ripping material for use in something else (such as using JO/JA textures in JK). I've seen a couple (very few) EULAs that claim you can't make backup copies, but I'm pretty sure they're thumbing their nose at International Copyright Law, and thus I'd simply reccomend avoiding such a rogue company.

As for your problems, it appears that your CD burner is fixed to work with copy protection. While this does help reduce piracy, it also hinders perfectly legitimate software backup. Virtually all modern CDs (music or software) have tags imbedded in them, that will tell the copying process that it can't continue. Some burners simply "raw copy", not caring what the CD says. For others, you can get methods to backup your disk from sites such as the one mentioned by Yecti. Remember, if you do make successful backup copies, they are legally tied to the original; if you transfer ownership of the original disk, either give the backups with it, or destroy them. If the original disk is ruined, keep it to keep your backups legitimate.

There's a fine line... Many companies don't want you to make backup copies; If the original is ruined, they believe you should buy another copy, so that they make yet more profit... However, their concerns over piracy are legitimate beyond their own bottom line, and extra caution should be taken to keep one's activities legal...

</font>

Wow, that's brave, calling Nintendo a "rouge company". [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-11, 12:57 PM #7
Just use WinISO to rip the iso from the disc(s), and burn the ISO to a CD-R in Nero. Problem solved. I laugh at copy protection.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited February 11, 2004).]
2004-02-11, 1:06 PM #8
Uh, that doesnt actually work. You still get copy protection errors if it uses safedisc.

Use unsafedisc or Safedisc 2 cleaner.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-02-11, 1:14 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
Uh, that doesnt actually work. You still get copy protection errors if it uses safedisc.

Use unsafedisc or Safedisc 2 cleaner.

</font>

yeah, forgot about that one. F*** macrovision. There are still plenty of other ways, though.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-11, 1:54 PM #10
EULAs have never been tested in court. It's unlikely that they'll ever be found to be legally binding.
2004-02-11, 2:12 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
yeah, forgot about that one. F*** macrovision. There are still plenty of other ways, though.

</font>

That's not macrovision. Macrovision is used on DVDs/VCRs. Safedisc is a different copy protection system. There are many different copy protection systems, including RMPS, Securom, Safedisc, and Laserlock.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-11, 2:16 PM #12
I used the new clonecd for my backups. It's not released anymore though.. I don't believe it is.

------------------
1337 suxx0rz

Council of 21

Need cheap web hosting? Well then lookie here! :)
http://www.out-post.net/index.php?action=hostingplans
Mmmm.
2004-02-11, 2:17 PM #13
All you ever needed to know about making backups... ever.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,3426623,00.html

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!