Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
2004-02-09, 1:49 PM #1
The GBA SP is being charged as we speak..errm type rather. And I shall have FF:CC in about an hour. w00.

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-09, 1:54 PM #2
NICE! Please tell us what you think about it! From the video I downloaded it look VERY fun!

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-02-09, 2:04 PM #3
From every review I read, I heard that singleplayer sucks and multiplayer is the best thing ever made. I don't really care, 2 friends are comeing over to play anyway. I love my EB Games, they give the pre-orders out before the game gets released :P I got Viewtiful Joe 6 days early [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-09, 2:19 PM #4
I would buy it, but I don't have a GBA...

Final Fantasy XI (PS2 version) and Final Fantasy Chronicles are expensive FF games though....
2004-02-09, 2:48 PM #5
I would get it except for 3 main reasons:

1) I don't have a GBA
2) I don't have money
3) It's nothing like a proper Final Fantasy.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-09, 4:03 PM #6
My friend pre-ordered it for me. I would get it today, but his store won't carry it till wednesday (d***it). Fortunately I get a 15% discount on the game, and it comes with a free GC-GBA link cable for pre-orderin it. I already have a GBA so I'm basically set.

------------------
I'm going to go out and do stuff, like besides work. Call up ben, hang out. Maybe see the last samurai, go skydiving, whatever.
Get back into the gym...
I want to do stuff that prevents me from playin video games so I can only play them a few hours a day, basically.
(Formally Veger, who died when he lost his e-mail adress, and his password. Veeger still looks for his old pass...)
I'm going to go out and do stuff, like besides work. Call up ben, hang out. Maybe see the last samurai, go skydiving, whatever.
Get back into the gym...
I want to do stuff that prevents me from playin video games so I can only play them a few hours a day, basically.
(Formally Veger, who died when he lost his e-mail adress, and his password. Veeger still looks for his old pass...)
2004-02-09, 4:05 PM #7
Pfft. Who needs Final Fantasy:CC when I can play Final Fantasy 2 on the NES...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-02-09, 4:06 PM #8
I heard its only good with 4 players, each with Final Fantasy for gameboy, and the link cables... So thats really expensive.

Sure, I may have bought the link cable already for metroid prime, but still....

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-09, 4:08 PM #9
The bucket of wonderment!!

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-09, 4:10 PM #10
I just played the game for an hour, so far I haven't used my GBA at all. Just the title screen made my pants get tighter. This game has some of the best musi I've ever heard. The fighting system is more like a Zelda game then a FF game, which is good..Instead of "ATTACK!.....Miss" *wait 5 mins* "Attack!" it's more like "hack, slash, spell cast, attack!" I like it, easy controls, fun gameplay. I am Jon from the town of Gondor and I am a fisherman. Awesome gameplay, even better music....so far.

------------------
Contrafribularities

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 09, 2004).]
2004-02-09, 5:28 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I heard its only good with 4 players, each with Final Fantasy for gameboy, and the link cables... So thats really expensive.

Sure, I may have bought the link cable already for metroid prime, but still....

</font>

You don't need any game in your GBA, just the GBA itself.I've also heard that it's much better with friends, but so are many other game. Gauntlet for example. Crystal Cronicles is seeming a lot like a Gauntlet type of game to me. That's a good thing, because I love Gauntlet.

A friend of mine is getting Crystal Cronicles on wednesday. I'll be playing it wednesday with him and another friend.

Rod, how's the create-a-character?

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-09, 8:52 PM #12
Just got the game, I've only played a bit of the battle system, but hte game seems like it rocks. It might be a little slow, but I must admit I'm in a rush to finish some homework and I've got a headace, plus I only played 15 minutes or so of single-player. It seems like it will be a great game once my friend freaking buys his GBA...because I don't know anyone else who has a GBA, let alone a link cable. I pre-ordered so I got a free link cable [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif].

Character customization is pretty simple. you pick your character from 4 tribes.

1st tribe is human-ish, mainly defense
2nd is short and armored, mainly offense
3rd is tall and bird-like/skinny, mostly magic
4th is like all feminine human (male or female looks pretty frickin feminine to me), mainly agility

you can pick male or female, then one of 4 styles of your tribe/sex, essentially you have 4 tribes with 2 sexes with 4 types of looks, IE 32 different characters to choose from. Not bad.

------------------
Get back into the gym...
Get back into the gym...
2004-02-09, 9:34 PM #13
Just like Gauntlet again. Great. I'll probably be a Dwarf. I was already thinking of a Dwarvish sounding name to use anyway (Kirik Galir sound good?). I get a battle axe, yes?

My friend said that it's only about 20 hours of playing time. That's no good. I want a lot of gaming time. Then again, there is some replay value in the different races.

One thing I like is that you have to carry around a crystal to protect you from a poisonous fog. It stops people from running off and getting items while you're stuck fighting.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2004-02-09, 10:45 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Pfft. Who needs Final Fantasy:CC when I can play Final Fantasy 2 on the NES...

</font>

Damn skippy.

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.
2004-02-10, 12:34 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:

One thing I like is that you have to carry around a crystal to protect you from a poisonous fog. It stops people from running off and getting items while you're stuck fighting.

</font>

But it also makes one of your characthers stuck with a bucket in teamplay. That means if you have 4 people, only 3 can be fighting because one of you has to hold the stupid bucket

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-10, 12:34 AM #16
You complain about 20 hours?!?!

And yeah characters are simple like his said.

I picked the 1st tribe, humanish-people.. You can either be a kid with a bandana, a cowlick, straight hair, or messy hair in that tribe :P I am the regular kid that you see all over the place.

[http://ffcc.nintendo.com/prelaunch/_img/splash.jpg]

The one in the middle [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

(Not the midget, skimpy girl or cone breast, the kid)

------------------
Contrafribularities

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 10, 2004).]
2004-02-10, 12:51 AM #17
What's with that metal guy and those "things" on his chest?

------------------
-----@%
2004-02-10, 1:34 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
You complain about 20 hours?!?!

</font>

Yeah. We could finish that in two sleep overs.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
But it also makes one of your characthers stuck with a bucket in teamplay. That means if you have 4 people, only 3 can be fighting because one of you has to hold the stupid bucket</font>

You can put it down. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
- Vash the Stampede
2004-02-10, 12:21 PM #19
by the way, i'm the friend chaz has been talking about. And you can put the bucket down. the problem comes when the guy with the bucket gets too excited and puts it down too early ('dropping the bucket short' is what PA called it) and everyone gets taken out by ranged baddies and you cant attack them without getting hit by miasma. in other words, you need a good carrier.

As for twenty hours, i too think thats a bit short. however, that seems to be the normal length at the moment. I prefer around 40 hours, like KotOR or Metroid Prime, but you have to work with what your given. 20 hour games are normally not too bad as long as you do alot of the side-quests that normally are in 20 hour games.

Lastly, as for it not being a strict FF game, i have heard alot about that, and most sites concur (even penny arcade, and they love Crystal Cronicles), so i'm going to say they're probably right. mostly they say its only the appearance of some type characters (like the moogles) that make it anything like an FF game. however, if this game is as sweet as everyone says it is, i dont see why not being a strict FF game is anything truly against it. Just call it Crystal Cronicles if it offends you that much.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-02-10, 12:40 PM #20
So wait, you need a GBA to play it? Why????

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-02-10, 1:07 PM #21
you need it for playing multiplayer. Single player you can use the normal controller it allows each plaer to get special information like maps (a player is randomly chosen to get it for each dongeon) inventory and move lists, and the bonus objectives. the last is how the game decides who gets the first pick of the artifacts at the end of a dungeon (the 'level-up' items, so to speak. each one can add different abilities or stat upgrades). Also, it stops someone from slowing down play for some trivial thing like a weapon change. when you're looking through the menus, your player goes into a sort of 'autopilot' so he stays within the crystal's radius.

From what i've heard, using the GBA works really, really well. its just a hassle for some people who dont have one already and dont wish to spend for one just for this.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-02-10, 2:36 PM #22
I heard Champions of Norrath for the PS2 was also good? It's four player off line and online.
2004-02-10, 2:37 PM #23
STFU, this is a Crystal Chronicles thread!

------------------
Contrafribularities
2004-02-10, 2:53 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
. I prefer around 40 hours, like KotOR or Metroid Prime...
</font>

Metroid Prime took you 40 hours!?

I could be mistaken but I thought it took me like 10-15 tops

------------------
Get back into the gym...
Get back into the gym...
2004-02-10, 3:25 PM #25
Err...Metroid Prime wasn't 40 hours...

Unless you scanned everything possible in the game multiple times *If that's your sort of thing- Me, I scan it once...and move on*

I had wished MP was longer...=)
2004-02-10, 4:54 PM #26
i looked around and traveled a great deal. plus, i didn't use any guides, and i'm not always that good at figuring out puzzles, so it took me awhile.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-02-10, 5:02 PM #27
Well, I enjoyed the scenery...

------------------
-----@%
2004-02-11, 4:07 PM #28
I played it for about 2 hours today. I had fun. My only complaint is that fighting is too simplistic. Combo attack and charge attack. That's all there is.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
- Vash the Stampede
2004-02-11, 4:11 PM #29
Playing with 3 friends on Friday. w00! can't wait.

------------------
Contrafribularities
2004-02-11, 4:41 PM #30
Do the amount of items you find increase with the amount of people playing? If not, I'd be weary of 4 players.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
- Vash the Stampede

↑ Up to the top!