Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → MenuetOS
MenuetOS
2004-02-11, 2:21 PM #1
Anybody seen this?

http://www.menuetos.org/

All on one floppy... nice.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-11, 2:26 PM #2
Interesting...
Looks like it might be handy for stuff with not-so-much-space... calculators, maybe? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-11, 2:42 PM #3
thats awesome, I think im going to try it

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-02-11, 5:37 PM #4
MWAHAHAHAHA FOR ONCE I GET TO SAY OLD NEWS!!!

Not really, I've used quite a few "Floppy size OS's" Menuet is one of the best though. In fact, I think I might redownload it. Thanks. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-11, 5:49 PM #5
Careful, it's a big download.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-11, 5:59 PM #6
I had a friend who always carried around a custom compiled version of D.S.L. (Damn Small Linux) on a floppy diskette...

He was a geek...
He was my role model...
He gave me my Unix box!!!

------------------
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2004-02-11, 6:24 PM #7
there also must've been like no operating system there. DSL is 50 megs by default there bud. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-11, 9:39 PM #8
He said custom compiled

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore

[This message has been edited by Molgrew (edited February 12, 2004).]
2004-02-12, 3:55 AM #9
Yeah...
His version of DSL was basically the Kernel, the hardware interface drivers, and a telnet client.
It did have a GUI interface...
sort of...

It did still have the splash screen of the giant penguin though!

------------------

2004-02-12, 4:48 AM #10
I understand that, what I was saying was obviously he removed MOST of the operating system to get it onto the floppy. So it was pointless. Geeky, yes, but pointless. When you remove alot of the functionality to get it to fit on a small space, you're just showing off. So I : rolleye : because he idolized this guy.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-12, 7:48 AM #11
Actually, it was not THAT geeky a thing to do...

You see he actually use that disk regularly as a diagnostics tool for various computers. He would use the disk to boot into his limited version of a telnet client, and then use that to access a full Unix server he kept online, and then run/download various hardware diagnostics tools. This allowed him to diagnose and repair computers using a Library of tools, without having to crate around 500 floppy disks... It also allowed him to work on system without CD drives, with bad or questionable hard drives, or password protected systems…

Well. Ok it was THAT geeky, but it was geeky with a cause…

------------------

↑ Up to the top!