Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How do you get a virus?
How do you get a virus?
2004-02-12, 9:58 AM #1
What are the different ways you can get a virus?

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-12, 9:58 AM #2
Hang around sick people. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 12, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-12, 10:00 AM #3
Well I got that one right now. What about on my comp?

------------------
2004-02-12, 10:01 AM #4
btw, I know you can get a virus by having Windows (LOL!!) and by opening e-mail attachments.

------------------
2004-02-12, 10:06 AM #5
Connecting to the internet without a firewall.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-12, 10:06 AM #6
Embedded Virus in Attactments, or software. Especially illegal software. Howeever some unpatched window machines leave vunerable ports wide open example the MS blaster virus. Viruses like that litterally spend their time sniffing IPs for vunverable Ports.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-02-12, 10:08 AM #7
1.) Disk swapping with an infected computer.
2.) E-mail attachments.
3.) Infected downloads.
4.) Infected software.
5.) Hackers who have your ISP (I think).

That's all I know of. I'm sure there's plenty more.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 12, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-12, 10:09 AM #8
Write one and unleash it upon yourself.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-12, 10:09 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Connecting to the internet without a firewall.
</font>

?

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-12, 10:15 AM #10
Well, for this post Im gonna use 'virus' as a loose term that will refer to all harmful code.

1) The old fashoned way; sneakernet. Your "friend" gives you a disk, and its infected with a boot-sector virus.

2) Downloading a virus-infected file from "Joe's downloads". If its not an official site, dont download it. Stay away from Downloads.com.

3) Using Outlook. This is really stupid. Theres a few dozen exploits in Outlook that allow an attacker to infect your system with an email.

4) Using p2p networks. A good 50% of the files on most p2p networks are infected with some sort of virus. Trader beware...

5) IM/IRC file tranfers. If you dont know the contact, dont accept the file.

6) OS exploits. Holes in your operating system can allow a virus to simply copy itself in and infect your box.

7) The occasional vuris-infected *offical* release. There have been occasions where releases of some program were infected with a trojan. Always wait a day or two before download the latest big thing, so that A, the community can run through the package and check for viruses, and B, mirrors can be set up.

There is of course more, but I think these should suffice.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-12, 11:49 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
What are the different ways you can get a virus?</font>

Are you refering to a computer virus? Those are actually rather rare nowadays... There are three main types of "malicious programs" (I'm fairly sure there are only three types):

Worm: Possibly the most common. They spend most of their time searching address books, ports, whatever, and spam themselves from computer to computer. Most of them are programmed for a Denial-Of-Service (DOS) attack on a certain date. Most famous one: MyDoom (launched Dos on OCS and Microsoft).

Virus: The rarest. Compared to other codes, they spread slowly, and are usually targeted. They are programmed to cause permanent damage to their host, usually by deleting certain files. Most famous one: Michaelangelo (deleted critical files on the artists's birthday).

Trojan Horse: Quite possibly the most devastating. Almost always hidden in another file, they await until activation, then allow a connection between the sender and the host computer. Most famous ones: NetBus (allowed constant monitoring of host), and BackOrifice (allowed sender complete control over host)

If you happen to use a Windows NT operating system (the biggest target), you have an advantage: The task manager. Memorize/record what "proccesses" your computer has when it's "healthy". Then, if you suspect some worm/virus/trojan horse, check for any suspicious proccesses.

I hoped that helped somewhat; GBK covered all the real ways that malicious code can enter one's PC.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!