Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → French guys.
French guys.
2004-02-12, 10:52 AM #1
http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/CBC/2004/02/06/cherry040206

Don Cherry gets in trouble for saying 'french guys'.
WTF?????

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-12, 10:57 AM #2
I think it's more that he was calling French-Canadian and European players wimps for wearing visors that got him into trouble. Peopel are over sensitive these days.

Can you believe that there are actually groups out there all over the airwaves looking for things that people might find offensive? That's just absurd.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited February 12, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-02-12, 11:30 AM #3
Canada has a piece of legislation for official language? And I thought that whole scene with Dan Akroyd was just joking...

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-12, 11:39 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The Bloc Québécois called Cherry's remarks racist.
</font>

One more reason to hate that party!

They're all a bunch of crazy fanatics. Good thing they lost recent elections.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-12, 11:41 AM #5
No. He is in trouble for saying 'french guys'.
They are french guys. :/

The Canadian offical languages act only works one way. Anything in Quebec can be declared unilingual (including companies and cities). When a city or company declares themselves english only somewhere else in Canada, there is an uproar from the rights groups.
There are a number of declared french only cities in Quebec. When Thunder Bay declared that they were english only, that quickly got taken down.

Any Canadian company that doesn't have a french version of thier website will be harrassed by the french rights groups.

If you open a franchise in Quebec, you must translate the name of your company into french (Second Cup went to court and won and Jacques Villeneuve said he didn't care what the rights groups or the government thought, he was keeping the name 'New Town' (his last name translated into english) for his resteraunt/bar).

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-12, 11:45 AM #6
And every once in a while you hear about a coffee shop with an english-only sign that was bombed by terrorists claiming they're trying to save their culture. Vive le Québec!

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-12, 11:55 AM #7
And you asked why I keep griping about people from the east.

Buncha crazies. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2004-02-12, 11:58 AM #8
Just let Quebec seceed(sp?) already. :P

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-12, 12:00 PM #9
French guys
Frenchies
Frogs

who cares, its not insulting.
if it is, just ignore them.
They'll go away.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-02-12, 4:20 PM #10
Canada is weird. someone should just conquer the other side and let there be one languae already. Sheesh.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-12, 4:28 PM #11
Bonjur! Je Parle Le Francais!
Je vais mange le monde parce que c'est tres beau
Je ne parle pas le francais tres bien

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-02-12, 7:34 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
Canada is weird. someone should just conquer the other side and let there be one languae already. Sheesh.

</font>

Blame the brits.. they're the ones who suck hard at assimilating!

------------------
2004-02-12, 7:54 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Canada has a piece of legislation for official language? And I thought that whole scene with Dan Akroyd was just joking...

</font>

That will be $1000 Canadian, or $10 American, if you prefer.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-13, 3:44 AM #14
You guys make the "french guys" sound awful.

My dad is a "french guy." When he was 20 or so, he was in Alberta with a friend who is also a "french guy." They were watching a hockey game in a bar, talking in french and cheering for the Nordiques (old Québec hockey team). My dad's friend how the **** beat out of him and my dad got his head banged into the jukebox.

So **** all you "english guys."
2004-02-13, 4:08 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
That will be $1000 Canadian, or $10 American, if you prefer.</font>

As funny as that movie was, it makes fun of Americans just as much as it makes fun of Canadians.

btw, it's closer to $760 USD [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-02-13, 7:19 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaD CoW:
You guys make the "french guys" sound awful.

My dad is a "french guy." When he was 20 or so, he was in Alberta with a friend who is also a "french guy." They were watching a hockey game in a bar, talking in french and cheering for the Nordiques (old Québec hockey team). My dad's friend how the **** beat out of him and my dad got his head banged into the jukebox.

So **** all you "english guys."
</font>

Hey! Since when did us limeys do anything? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
Ok, with that comment, I'm just asking for a lecture on history. Heh. But then again, I guess it might prove a point.

------------------
The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, The Father of Rocketry
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-02-13, 7:46 AM #17
Vive le Québec! Vive la Résistance! Le province de Québec doit se liberer de l'oppression canadien!

[This message has been edited by fingarez (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-13, 7:59 AM #18
Enlighten me here - I'm not very well informed on Canadian issues, how bad is the French/English thing up there?

Ist it like I assume, where it's only bad in certain areas and asshats like in this article generalize it to the entire country, or is it just that - a countrywide issue?
2004-02-13, 8:14 AM #19
Westerners and Easterners tend to resent each other. We don't really have a strong enough government to aid any sense of national unity, which is a major reason why the issue of Quebec separation came to rise in the first place.

The mandatory French labeling on English signs, but not vice-versa, is a horrible double-standard and costs English consumers a fortune. As an English consumer, I highly resent the French Canadians (and the eastern-elect government) for implementing a policy such as this.

And frankly, Cow, your "french guy" dad and his friend were probably cheering against the everybody in the bar. People take sports seriously. It happens everywhere.
2004-02-13, 10:59 AM #20
I think they may forget all about Don Cherry now:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20040213/od_uk_nm/oukoe_leisure_canada_conan

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!