Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Fox News
Fox News
2004-02-10, 6:09 PM #1
Anybody who doesn't believe Fox is biased: http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm
Funny stuff. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-02-10, 6:10 PM #2
Hilarious.

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.
2004-02-10, 6:13 PM #3
Oh, I know Fox News is unbiased. It's more of a political forum than a news agency. Kind of like most news networks.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-10, 6:25 PM #4
All media is corrupt. ALL OF IT. Accept it, and move on.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-10, 6:32 PM #5
Not America's Finest News Source! I trust no one else for my news. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package

[This message has been edited by Wuss (edited February 10, 2004).]
2004-02-10, 6:47 PM #6
[http://www.rileystrickshop.com/images/products/265s.jpg] > A FOX News Story
2004-02-10, 8:18 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
Anybody who doesn't believe Fox is biased: http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm
Funny stuff. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
</font>

It just biased to the right. Most others are more left biased

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-10, 8:45 PM #8
I know I was joking about The Onion before, but on a more serious note, I found this to be quite interesting...

A recent study was done by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) to examine the link between the media and the population's misconceptions about the war in Iraq. This figure shows the correlation between peoples' primary news sources and their misconceptions:
[http://blargh.mine.nu/test/98/81076484433.jpg]

You can read more of the study here. Regardless of where people get their news, there is still a surprising amount of folks out there with major misconceptions. I don't whether I should find it scary or just sad.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-10, 8:58 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
It just biased to the right. Most others are more left biased

</font>

That may or may not be true, but I don't know how anyone can compare CNN and FOX with a straight face.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-10, 9:02 PM #10
http://www.mypoliticaltake.com/article11-25-03foxnews3.htm
http://www.thebatt.com/news/2003/07/16/Opinion/Conservative.Media.Outlets.On.The.Rise-513304.shtm

Kind of shows my point, both sides I think.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-11, 12:30 AM #11
Thats why I get most my news from NPR now

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-11, 3:18 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
All media is corrupt. ALL OF IT. Accept it, and move on.

</font>

Bingo.

Although I am amused that to prove his point, Tofu had to resort to using an Editorial piece. The whole point of an editorial is to express your personal view. Nothing I haven't seen super-liberal Walter Jacobson do out here in Chicago for our news.

Truth is, before Fox news, the liberals ran the media, put their spin on it, and called it "news".

Seeing that this presented things in an unfair light, the owner of Fox created Fox News to essentially fight fire with fire.

In the end, GBK is right. All media is full of crap now. To point the finger at one side, while acting like the other is fine, just shows complete and total ignorance.

We live in the second age of Yellow Journalism people. Deal with it.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-11, 3:19 AM #13
I get news from NPR, The News Hour with Jim Leher(sp?) on PBS, and on occasion when I want somehting stupid, The Daily Show. All the rest have tendencys to try and make something out of nothing.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-02-11, 1:46 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Although I am amused that to prove his point, Tofu had to resort to using an Editorial piece. The whole point of an editorial is to express your personal view. Nothing I haven't seen super-liberal Walter Jacobson do out here in Chicago for our news.</font>

I was trying to prove anything, I was exhibiting a piece shone on Fox News that I found quite funny. If I had been trying to prove Fox news really is biased, I would definately have more evidence. Clear?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-02-11, 1:49 PM #15
Seeing that study that Wuss posted makes me want to reiterate all the replies I've made in every thread about American propaganda. The study was nice enough to call it misperceptions but it's still propaganda.
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-11, 2:16 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wuss:
Not America's Finest News Source! I trust no one else for my news. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

I knew it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-11, 2:52 PM #17
Quote:
I know I was joking about The Onion before, but on a more serious note, I found this to be quite interesting...

A recent study was done by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) to examine the link between the media and the population's misconceptions about the war in Iraq. This figure shows the correlation between peoples' primary news sources and their misconceptions:

You can read more of the study here. Regardless of where people get their news, there is still a surprising amount of folks out there with major misconceptions. I don't whether I should find it scary or just sad.

</font>

I already see people misinterpreting this, so I'll point something out: The chart deals only with "conservative-leaning" misconceptions, so it's natural that Fox would be at the top of the chart, just as NPR probably would if you graphed the number of people who believed that U.S. casualties were unusually high, or that the ground forces in Iraq were made up entirely of U.S. troops. I don't, of course, presume to put words in the mouths of NPR listeners or anyone else; the above are just examples of possible "liberal-leaning" misconceptions.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-02-12, 4:32 AM #18
This is making me sick...

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!
2004-02-12, 5:16 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
Quote:
Although I am amused that to prove his point, Tofu had to resort to using an Editorial piece. The whole point of an editorial is to express your personal view. Nothing I haven't seen super-liberal Walter Jacobson do out here in Chicago for our news.</font>

I was trying to prove anything, I was exhibiting a piece shone on Fox News that I found quite funny. If I had been trying to prove Fox news really is biased, I would definately have more evidence. Clear?[/b]

Well then, you could have done a better job. Go to any of those news sites, and you can find an editorial. Editorial means its all opinion. Try finding an actual Fox News story to support your claims, not an editorial. Every news paper and almost every news site has editorials. You showing them off doesn't exactly provide any big revelation, although trying to pass off an editorial as news to prove a point isn't exactly the most honest way to go about your argument.

Not saying Fox isn't biased to the right, because they are. But just about everyone else is balanced to the left. There is no one who keeps politics out of news anymore. I like Fox News just because it keeps other stations honest.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-02-12, 6:59 AM #20
Obviously Fox is biased, but they do at least bring in people with both sides of an opinion on the matter. I just like Fox more than the other networks is because they have alot more fun than the other networks. You watch MSNBC or something and they're just stiffs, but on Fox they'll joke around and such. Wow humans doing the news, who knew?

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-02-12, 7:04 AM #21
...Why in God's name would you want anchors to laugh when covering Iraq or Afghanistan? That's quite possibly the silliest reason for preferring a newscast I've ever heard..

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-12, 7:29 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joren DarkStar:
Not saying Fox isn't biased to the right, because they are. But just about everyone else is balanced to the left.</font>

Which is why Fox News gets my viewership any day. Listening to NPR makes me just about gag anymore.

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.

-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-02-12, 8:10 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...Why in God's name would you want anchors to laugh when covering Iraq or Afghanistan? That's quite possibly the silliest reason for preferring a newscast I've ever heard..</font>

I don't know Jedigreedo, but common sense negates that he wasn't referring to people laughing while they're covering Iraq or Afghanistan. He's obviously referring to shows like their morning show (which happens to be quite funny sometimes), and other shows where people aren't so stiff. Fox News recruits people who have personalities and many times even a sense of humor. This makes things more interesting for many viewers. They also have shows that are quite serious.

I can't be bothered to download that file on my elite 26400 connection, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that all news channels are biased. History is written by the victor(s), and as we all know, America is almost always victorious. I watch a variety of news channels to even things out. I'd suggest the rest of you do the same. I must say that I do enjoy the discussions and heated debates from both sides that constantly happen on Fox News (beats Jerry Springer any day).

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-02-12, 8:14 AM #24
They had Alf on Fox & Friends one early insomniac morning! I remember Steve Doocy getting beamed with a snowball.

Now that's news!

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-12, 2:50 PM #25
So you watch the news to be entertained? Yeah, I think it's a safe bet FOX is after people like you.

art
2004-02-12, 3:22 PM #26
What's the matter with being entertained during the news? Unless you're trying to use it as a sleep aid, then it can be annoying.

And yes, thank you Mentat. I didn't mean I want'em laughing when they cover stuff like Iraq. That would be stupid. Are you that biased against someone liking Fox News, Sine?

------------------
2004-02-12, 3:41 PM #27
Did anyone happen to catch John Gibson tonight, with the prison guard story followed by the Americans trapped in Canada?

My god, what subpar reporting.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-02-12, 6:25 PM #28
Ah, misconceptions.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-02-12, 8:14 PM #29
Quote:

</font>

This "study" was very cleverly made indeed. If you actually read it, as I did months ago, you realize that the entire thing is based on what is mostly conjecture; if people don't agree with the pollers it counts as a "misconception". Then they tweak the actual numbers that they got to make Fox look absolutely horrible.

But that's a bit different. I read a book awhile back about all of the tricks in graphing and statistics to persaude someone this way and that. Very interesting. It's basically cleverly displaying the raw data to mislead you into thinking it's saying something it isn't.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-12, 8:39 PM #30
You can spin any poll to make it show in your favor.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-12, 10:45 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
What's the matter with being entertained during the news? Unless you're trying to use it as a sleep aid, then it can be annoying.

And yes, thank you Mentat. I didn't mean I want'em laughing when they cover stuff like Iraq. That would be stupid. Are you that biased against someone liking Fox News, Sine?

</font>

I was genuinely curious as to why somebody would prefer FOX, and I think that's a damned silly reason!

art
2004-02-13, 10:17 AM #32
I pay attention to a large variety of sources... Both left-wing AND right-wing. And from comparing all of them, I will devise this list:

Heavy Right-wing:
Fox
CBS
Al-Jazeera (Yes, it is right wing)

Light Right-Wing:
MSNBC
ABC
CNN

Moderate:
PBS
NPR

Left-Wing:
BBC

Unfortunately, my list will most likely seem as wrong to many of you, considering that most people consider the wings relative to their stand, believing themselves to be "moderate", or only "lightly" conservative, when they are actually heavily conservative. Since I watch ALL the media (actually, I typically get my news from CNN, and rarely get it from PBS, NPR, the BBC, or Al-Jazeera), I can get a bit more of an un-biased opinion of their bias than most people.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-13, 12:16 PM #33
...So, basically, you're right 'cause you say so?

art
2004-02-13, 1:12 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:

Light Right-Wing:
MSNBC
ABC
CNN

</font>

Actually, ABC just recently admitted that they were biased to the liberal side. I at least give props to ABC for actually coming out and admitting it, instead of most networks that flat-out deny it.

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-13, 1:30 PM #35
Wow, Sine's just attacking everybody these days.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-13, 2:14 PM #36
CNN is NOT "light right-wing." Junior year of H.S. my U.S. History teacher subjected us to CNN's news show oriented towards high school students. I'm drawing a blank of the name right now. But it was quite liberal. Not to mention boring. Every single 2nd period we had to watch it. Ugh.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!