Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "The Axe Effect"
"The Axe Effect"
2004-02-12, 7:22 PM #1
The commercials have always annoyed me, but the latest one has gone too far.

Im not sure how it started, but I assume a guy put on some Axe, then a mosquito bit him, flew around, got ate by a frog, who was then found "irresistible" by the lady frogs (and it shows 2 frogs gettin it on), then one of the said frogs gets killed by some chinese food restraunt, where an old man, had to be in his 70's or 80's, eats some frog legs, thereby ingesting the small hint of Axe from the frog/mosquito/first guy.

Now this is the disturbing part... some 25 year old woman finds the old dude irrisistible, and they show here push him down on the bed, hop on top of him and start gettin it on (they had their clothes on, but *shiver* still disturbing).

Well in the end, the old dude dies, some wormes come up from the ground where he's buried, and form a heart shape (awww).

Sorry, just had to let it out.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-02-12, 7:28 PM #2
Haven't seen it. I'd probably laugh.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-12, 7:30 PM #3
That was the single most hallarious commercial Ive seen in a LONG time. I laughed LONG and HARD. Why cant you see the humor?

...BTW, presumably, the old man died from his "encounter" with the woman... Not an entirely unpleasant way of going, I must say... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-12, 7:34 PM #4
Reminded me of an old SNL skit, i think it was. The cool ways for an old person to die? It had death by stripper and like alligator attack? Anybody know what I'm talking about? I think it was one of the fake commercial things. I like that one

------------------
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
2004-02-12, 7:40 PM #5
Haha, I was watching COPS one day... ya, I was a bit bored... and this old couple had an alligator in their garage and it had attacked the old man and so they called the police...... nothing else worth mentioning happened...

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-12, 8:45 PM #6
That would've been funnier if it had been the Budweiser frogs.

"Bud-" "Weis-*gulps mosquito*" "awrrr..."

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-02-13, 12:17 AM #7
Sounds vaguely like a commercial that was shown here in Australia, except the product was Lynx. Probably the same stuff but operate under a different name here.

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-02-13, 12:21 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KegZ:
Sounds vaguely like a commercial that was shown here in Australia, except the product was Lynx. Probably the same stuff but operate under a different name here.

</font>

Yeah, it's the same stuff.

I've seen that commercial (I'm in Finland, where it's also called Axe by the way, not that anyone cares). It's a bit eccentric, but I like it.

------------------
Or then not. --FastGamerr/Nikumubeki
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-02-13, 12:50 AM #9
That commercial was playing in the Netherlands over 7 months back.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-02-13, 2:02 AM #10
"The Axe Effect"
that made me think of cutting people in half

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-02-13, 2:05 AM #11
Pretty imaginative for an ad these days... What's wrong with it exactly?

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-13, 4:07 AM #12
That 'Axe Effect' is bogus!

------------------
"And I listen for the whisper of your sweet insanity, while I formulate denials of your affect on me. You're a stranger, so what do I care. Vanish today, not the first time I hear, all the lies..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2004-02-13, 4:08 AM #13
I agree with Spork, I thinks its a refreshing change from just having some guy yell at you to come down to a car dealer ship and BUY BUY BUY!

------------------

"Run Away!"
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-02-13, 7:34 AM #14
I like when a celebrity I recognize advises me to purchase something. In the background there's a catchy song playing or maybe it's not catchy sometimes.

When I buy the product my life has meaning and the boys/girls approve of me and my sexual attributes.
2004-02-13, 7:38 AM #15
I liked the commercial a bit... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-02-13, 7:42 AM #16
I've never experienced the Axe Effect, but I have experienced the Old Spice effect. . . ya know, 18-22 year old girls don't come on to you, but thirty and forty something year old women do (cuz they think you're old). . . Okay, maybe it's just me (I'm only 17, by the way, but this really has happened to me on numerous. . . far too numerous. . . occassions), so I'm, thinking maybe Axe is the way to go. Who cares if it comes in a Windex bottle?
2004-02-13, 8:00 AM #17
The new brand of lynx/axe, "Touch", isn't that bad, it's kinda like a more manly version of Africa.

You're better to go with a real fragrance if you can afford it though, some of the CK stuff is pretty good.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-13, 8:24 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fingarez:
I've never experienced the Axe Effect, but I have experienced the Old Spice effect. . . ...</font>

Ahh, yes. I know this effect...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-13, 8:26 AM #19
I concur.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-13, 9:17 AM #20
I tied Axe once. It burnt me.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-02-13, 1:52 PM #21
it is called lynx in australia.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-02-13, 1:59 PM #22
Axe is the most horrible smelling crap in a can I've ever seen. Good thing it only lasts an hour.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-13, 1:59 PM #23
I like Axe.

------------------
Contrafribularities
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-13, 2:50 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Genki:
"The Axe Effect"
that made me think of cutting people in half

</font>

[http://blargh.mine.nu/test/67/7.jpg]

------------------
2004-02-13, 3:24 PM #25
great, just great
and after i took my shower after reading this, i put on some Axe

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-02-13, 5:44 PM #26
I hate that ad. Thoroughly.

------------------
"They came to sieze and take whatever they please,
Then all they gave back was death and disease."
~Darkness, Rage Against the Machine
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-02-13, 5:47 PM #27
The Axe commericals are freakin' awesome.. I do not see how you can not laugh during one of them!

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council

[This message has been edited by -Monoxide- (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-13, 5:59 PM #28
The humor isn't sophisticated enough for these classy massassian types.

------------------
Contrafribularities

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 13, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-13, 7:49 PM #29
Argh, I just remembered about another one. Don't know if you get it in America, but it consists of a guy showering with Lynx (aka Axe) showergel, when all of a sudden he falls through the floor, naked and covered in soap suds, to where a whole lot of big breasted tightly clothed women are working out.
Things seem awkward for this guy, when suddenly, he starts leading a suggestive dance routine with them! He shakes his *** in front of the camera and the women jiggle around, and then he calmly walks into the women's changing room where there is a naked woman. He looks back at his female dance companions, and cocks an eyebrow. At this signal, the women start doing vigorous pelvic thrusts. "Screw her silly!" is the message put across.

I cannot watch TV with my parents for fear of this ad.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-02-14, 12:14 AM #30
I want to see that commercial!

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-14, 1:41 AM #31
Are you people so lifeless as to ***** on a perfume commercial?

You just filled the whole purpose of a commercial, "Get Attention"

=P

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-02-14, 8:16 AM #32
No, the purpose is "sell the product"... which it did not accomplish with me. If the ad gets attention, makes people hate the product and not buy it... they arent happy.

------------------
2004-02-14, 8:22 AM #33
I really like this commercial...

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2004-02-14, 8:23 AM #34
I thought the commercial was rather....unique.
2004-02-14, 9:56 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acharjay:
Argh, I just remembered about another one. Don't know if you get it in America, but it consists of a guy showering with Lynx (aka Axe) showergel, when...</font>

I remember that one, if anything I found it slightly annoying.

[Edit] There's also this new ad for Axe Touch where a guy does something to a bottle or can of Axe shower gel or deodorant (like pops the cork open or something, I can't remember it very well), which causes a woman's nipples to erect (it's evident through her blouse), and another woman strips her top.

I know perfumes and such are associated with sexuality, but ads like this one seem a bit desperate to me. [/edit]

[Edit #2] Actually, I just saw the commercial again, and the nipples are erected by the guy fiddling with some radio buttons. The other woman's bra is getting stripped because he opens a book. It's still an Axe Touch commercial, though. [/edit #2]

------------------
Or then not. --FastGamerr/Nikumubeki

[This message has been edited by Krokodile (edited February 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Krokodile (edited February 15, 2004).]
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!