Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Norton Personal Firewall is blocking all internet access
Norton Personal Firewall is blocking all internet access
2004-02-13, 9:29 AM #1
I have Norton Personal firewall installed on my comp, and yesterday it started blocking the internet from my comp. Whenever I tried to load a site, firefox returned the URL as invalid/not found, even though I know that the site does exist. (edit: this affects all sites I try to access, not just one. )

When I disabled my firewall, I get my internet access back.

(I did a virus check and removed "Dialer.Stardial" virus. (no idea how i got it, My virus definitions are always current).

I then ran spybot and it found a bunch of crap that I missed when I removed all the crapware that compaq pre-installs on computers. After removing all that, my comp runs a little better, but my firewall is still blocking the internet.

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-13, 9:37 AM #2
It might be telling you something.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-02-13, 9:43 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mano:
It might be telling you something.

</font>

like what?

I did another virus scan and my system came up clean. A second spyware scan also came up clean.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-13, 10:08 AM #4
Disable it?

You see, I don't run a pfw and I don't have spyware, viruses, trojans, worms and neither do hackers infiltrate my system through open ports

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-13, 10:29 AM #5
The most obvious answer is to remove your firewall.

Really, what's to worry about? I've met hordes of people on the internet and never been hacked once. Just keep Spybot and Adaware handy.
2004-02-13, 10:34 AM #6
Norton keeps the spam out of your inbox and the pop-ups to a low thats why I run it... you might need to set privilleges for FireFox before you can use that browser.

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!
2004-02-13, 10:35 AM #7
Well I'm sure those aren't the answers you were looking for.
Have you gone through all the options/settings for it?

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-13, 10:40 AM #8
Does your browser have permission to access the internet? I know I had to manually give all of my programs except IE and Netscape permission.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-13, 10:44 AM #9
Stardialer isnt so much a virus . . . its actully one of those rotten "dialer" programs you used to find on pr0n sites... So . . tell me, Page . . . how many pr0n sites you been browsing? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Uninstall the stupid firewall. Unless your on broadband, you dont need it. And even if you are, just get a good hardware NAT firewall.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-13, 10:50 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
Well I'm sure those aren't the answers you were looking for...
</font>

You are right, they aren't.
The best place to ask for support would be Norton themselves. Why? Because you paid good money to use their product and afaik that includes technical support.

------------------
2004-02-13, 1:33 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Stardialer isnt so much a virus . . . its actully one of those rotten "dialer" programs you used to find on pr0n sites... So . . tell me, Page . . . how many pr0n sites you been browsing? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

</font>

None lately. Sitting around jacking to pron may be good enough for some people, but I prefer the real thing.

Perhaps I have to assign firefox permission to use the internet, except I'm not sure how to do it. I've checked the firewall configuration ,and details of how to do it are sketchy at best. If I can't make it work, I'll have to downgrade to firebird 0.7.

------------------
2004-02-13, 1:49 PM #12
I have Norton Internet Security, to access the permissions I go to the "Personal Firewall" menu, and then select the "Internet Access Control" section. All of the programs that have tried to access the internet are listed, and I select the "Internet Access" drop down menu next to the program I want, and pick what I want its setting to be.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-13, 7:07 PM #13
I have firefox permissions set to allow all access, so in theory, it should work.

------------------
2004-02-13, 7:10 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I have firefox permissions set to allow all access, so in theory, it should work.

</font>

Why do you have this firewall installed in the first place?

------------------
2004-02-14, 3:39 AM #15
Dude, go ask Norton.
You ****ing paid for support

It's your right as a costumer

------------------
2004-02-14, 4:06 AM #16
Firewall: Zonealarm
Pop-Up Blocker: Google Toolbar
Not Paying per month for something you can get free legally online: Priceless.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-14, 5:14 AM #17
Firefox's proxy settings might need to be configured... check the Norton docs.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven!

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/Mots | Pac-Man JK

[This message has been edited by The_Mega_ZZTer (edited February 14, 2004).]

2004-02-14, 6:01 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Why do you have this firewall installed in the first place?

</font>

why not?

------------------
2004-02-14, 6:13 AM #19
Well, you know the answer.
It's your question

------------------
2004-02-14, 6:47 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
why not? </font>

Software firewalls are an unneccessary aggrivation. Lose the firewall, and youll thank yourself tommorow.

------------------
2004-02-14, 9:15 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
Dude, go ask Norton.
You ****ing paid for support

It's your right as a costumer

</font>

I dont know about norton but most computer hardware companies dont offer free support.

------------------
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork

AGONetwork
2004-02-14, 9:34 AM #22
Norton makes software

------------------
2004-02-14, 3:43 PM #23
No **** sherlock... my point is that buying a product doesn't garuntee you support for it, I know in the case of hardware because my new computer refuses to work correctly... I have never had a problem with Norton though so I cant say for sure they dont.

------------------

AGONetwork

AGONetwork
2004-02-14, 3:53 PM #24
? Are you saying your computer doesn't run properly and you don't make use of the warranty?

Anyway, you pay for Norton|any reputable software => you are entitled to their support, it is that easy

------------------

↑ Up to the top!