Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bass
Bass
2004-02-13, 1:33 PM #1
no, not fish.
Guitar.
Im looking for a fairly cheap bass guitar and a bass amp. Price range is anywhere from $90-$200.

So if you could reccomend me one, I would greatly appreciate it.

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-02-13, 2:04 PM #2
Here, if you get to this in the next 2 hours or so. There's plenty more where that came from. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-13, 4:31 PM #3
Just go to the store and let them sell you the beginner pack, whatever it is. I hate guitar purchasing threads: people just suggest the one they own.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-13, 5:27 PM #4
I would suggest NOT getting a beginner pack because you'll probably end up getting a quality instrument later on anyway. So save some money.
2004-02-13, 5:29 PM #5
really the only decent bass package for beginners is the Squier Bass Pak which is ~$300 i suggest musicians friend

and stay away from the rogue package...

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-13, 6:02 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RingMaster481:
I would suggest NOT getting a beginner pack because you'll probably end up getting a quality instrument later on anyway. So save some money.</font>

Well, you have to start somewhere do you not? Its better to start with something cheaper to find out if you 'really' want to play it. I mean, whats the point in getting an expensive 'quality' instrument if you aren't going to play it?
sigs are fun stuff
2004-02-14, 6:13 PM #7
actually, starting off with an average instrument motivates you to play more, since you get a nice sound.

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-02-14, 7:00 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RingMaster481:
I would suggest NOT getting a beginner pack because you'll probably end up getting a quality instrument later on anyway. So save some money.</font>
Completely true. All of my beginner's instruments did/do suck. Fretboard layout was inaccurate, strings slapped against other frets, etc. Get something at least of medium quality. I recommend Peavy, Fender, or Squier. (If you go with Peavy, don't get a Peavy amp. Though they produce great amplification systems, they don't have a damn clue how to mount their circuit boards properly. They vibrate with the sound (especially with bass frequencies), and that causes the solder points to break loose. That's the #1 cause of Peavy amp malfunctions.) Never ever ever buy Rogue. They use BS electronic components, and you'll just end up pissed.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 14, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-14, 9:04 PM #9
check out this site:

http://bobandtom.com/basstalk/index.htm

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-02-14, 9:16 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Never ever ever buy Rogue. They use BS electronic components, and you'll just end up pissed.

</font>

some of their stuff isn't all that bad...

their older tuberider amps were nice thier pedals are ok and most have a unique sound

but their instruments and many of their amps are not worth it...

also about peavey amps... their newer bass combo amps (i've never witnessed or heard of such problems in most of their guitar amps) have the problems mentioned

i have a peavey TNT100 and it has given me some trouble but mostly because of dirty pots the OLDER peavey amps are considerably more reliable

and i nearly forgot to do this...

here are some suggestions if you decide to save some money and get something better than beginner stuff

Bass:
Squier P-Bass Special
Ibanex SRX300

Amp:
SWR LA-10

that should keep you under $500 and give you something decent to start with

and since you already play guitar i can skip the random stuff you would need because you most likely already have it

------------------
wang is within all

[This message has been edited by DrkJedi82 (edited February 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DrkJedi82 (edited February 15, 2004).]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-15, 9:15 AM #11
Oh, give me a break. The instrument you start with isn't going to be the one you take on your world tour.

Now, obviously if you shell out $10 for somebody's used guitar and amp, well, you're getting what you pay for, but there are plenty of inexpensive beginner packages that are solid equipment, so you can play a lot and get good or let the guitar gather dust in your closet, and maintain peace of mind either way.

What I'm saying is don't waste your money until a) you're good enough to know exactly what you want in an electric bass guitar, and b) you play enough to actually warrant the purchase.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-15, 2:45 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:

Oh, give me a break. The instrument you start with isn't going to be the one you take on your world tour.</font>[/quote]If you're in position to go on world tours, I don't think musical instrument purchases are going to be a problem, what with sponsorship and all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
some of their stuff isn't all that bad...

their older tuberider amps were nice thier pedals are ok and most have a unique sound
</font>
I don't know about their amps (especially their older ones), but from what I have tried, their electrical components wear down in no time flat, especially potentiometers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 15, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-15, 4:45 PM #13
Look into the Epiphone starter kits. I had the "custom strat" guitar package that lasted me a good many years. I loved that guitar. The little amp still kicks around too when it's too much of a hassle to lug the big one. I know they make Bass packages. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-15, 6:08 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
Look into the Epiphone starter kits. I had the "custom strat" guitar package that lasted me a good many years. I loved that guitar. The little amp still kicks around too when it's too much of a hassle to lug the big one. I know they make Bass packages. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

Epiphone Custom Strat? Maybe you mean Squire;p

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0

↑ Up to the top!