Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Food
Food
2004-02-13, 6:28 PM #1
Westerners eat crap. They shovel it into their mouth three times a day, plus smaller bits of pre-packaged crap. Supermarkets are lined wall-to-wall with crap, television is filled with advertisements of white-teethed actors and actresses selling crap to the already crap-inundated masses.

The enemy. More dangerous than any South American revolutionary, more pervasive than any al'Qaeda sleeper cell are the carbs. Americans wage a veritable Crusade against this long-ignored enemy, but is it enough? Of course not. Humans have traditionally acquired most of their calories through carbohydrates, yet this obesity epidemic is new.

When you eat crap, your mind filters it out, so you don't feel full. This is why you can eat an entire tub of popcorn at the theatre and still have room afterwards. When you eat processed, tasteless food, you aren't satisfied, so you fill it with more processed, tasteless food. Westerners should eat meals with more flavor, color, and variety, while sitting, relaxed, and with friends and family.

I just made up this morning, and I felt like sharing. Oatmeal is a really good breakfast, it stays with you all day, unlike those empty calorie-laden pop tarts.

-1.5 cups rolled oats (or use steel-cut if you're a badass, but forget instant oats, they're no good)
-1.5 cups milk
-dash of salt
-2.5 handfuls almonds
-1 handful craisins (or similar dried fruit)
-1 spoonful jam (I recommend using apple, apricot, peach, or similar light ones)
-half-teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Boil milk with salt, stirring constantly (It'll burn, baby)
3. Put almonds on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and golden.
4. Once the milk is boiling, add oats, turn down heat to medium and cook until the milk is gone (~7 minutes).
5. Put jam, craisins (or dried cherries, currants, whatever. I don't know about the universality of cranberries.), and almonds in food processor. Give them a coarse chop (chunks of various sizes).
6. Mixed together.

Like it? I've a few other recipes that as simple and quick. Or perhaps you have some of your own.

------------------
I have become Death, destroyer of newbs.
Statavad-Gita 8:14
:master::master::master:
2004-02-13, 6:31 PM #2
I almost started a fire and filled the whole pad with smoke yesterday when i was boiling rice for qod's sake.. i think i will stay away from this for the moment, though it does sound very tastey. <3 porridge.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-13, 6:31 PM #3
Cut up and cook some ham
Cut up and sautee some mushrooms in butter
Grate some cheese
Melt a bit of butter in a frying pan
Crack 2 eggs, mixing them with milk, salt and pepper
Pour the eggs into the pan
Stir until cooked, add ham and mushrooms

Now you have Scrambled eggs with ham and mushrooms, it takes 10 minutes, and it's not just for breakfast.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-02-13, 6:39 PM #4
People don't realise that calories aren't the problem, but sitting on their butts all day long is.
I just can't eat fast food regularly. My mom has always cooked our meals, and nothing you can buy at a normal restaurant compares.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-13, 7:10 PM #5
I hardly eat fast food anyway.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------@%

The Matrix: Unplugged

I'm a C4D b****!
2004-02-13, 10:58 PM #6
The biggest downfall for people, in terms of weight and similar health realted issues, was industrialization. Humans used to have to work, and work very hard, for their food either by farming, hunting, or gathering, and food was at a premium. Now, we can order our food from the internet and not even have to leave the house.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-13, 11:00 PM #7
I hate an entire potato for dinner tonight. I made home fries out of it. It was delicious.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-13, 11:07 PM #8
-Car
-Gasoline

1. Drive to Burger King.
2. Order a ****ing burger and fries.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-13, 11:14 PM #9
I feast only upon the flesh of the innocent.

But in today's modern world, I go hungry.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-02-14, 12:02 AM #10
i ate a pizza yesterday, only a small one, i dont know if you consider that to be crap, but its all i ate, i wasnt particuarly hungry at any point either.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-02-14, 12:30 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
-Car
-Gasoline

1. Drive to Burger King.
</font>

That's the only recipe in my cookbook.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-14, 12:32 AM #12
On Monady, I cooked for about 25 people. Made enchiladas (Chicken, vegetarian and vegan), black beans and rice. They were awesome. Next

Next Monday: Oven Roasted Chicken, Minestrone Soup, Mashed Potatos, Salad and cake or cookies

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-14, 4:33 AM #13
walk to gas station
buy taco, cook, buy hot chocolate
eat while walking home

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-02-14, 3:24 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lateralus:
Cut up and cook some ham
Cut up and sautee some mushrooms in butter
Grate some cheese
Melt a bit of butter in a frying pan
Crack 2 eggs, mixing them with milk, salt and pepper
Pour the eggs into the pan
Stir until cooked, add ham and mushrooms

Now you have Scrambled eggs with ham and mushrooms, it takes 10 minutes, and it's not just for breakfast.
</font>

Nice... Sounds like the kind of eggs I make all the time, except with capsicum and onion instead of ham and mushrooms.

If you wanna make a really light and fluffy omlette, crack the eggs into an oiled pan as the pan is heating up. It's hard to time, but get the eggs in there when the pan is just past too hot to touch, but not hot enough to instantly fry the eggs. Stir them as soon as they hit the pan, and have your milk, salt, and pepper ready to go in pronto.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-14, 4:01 PM #15
Water:

Water, add lemon. Drink.

Tea:

Hot water, chunk of lemon. Drink.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Lemon > all.

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-02-14, 4:23 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stat:
Westerners eat crap. They shovel it into their mouth three times a day, plus smaller bits of pre-packaged crap. Supermarkets are lined wall-to-wall with crap, television is filled with advertisements of white-teethed actors and actresses selling crap to the already crap-inundated masses.

The enemy. More dangerous than any South American revolutionary, more pervasive than any al'Qaeda sleeper cell are the carbs. Americans wage a veritable Crusade against this long-ignored enemy, but is it enough? Of course not. Humans have traditionally acquired most of their calories through carbohydrates, yet this obesity epidemic is new.

When you eat crap, your mind filters it out, so you don't feel full. This is why you can eat an entire tub of popcorn at the theatre and still have room afterwards. When you eat processed, tasteless food, you aren't satisfied, so you fill it with more processed, tasteless food. Westerners should eat meals with more flavor, color, and variety, while sitting, relaxed, and with friends and family.

I just made up this morning, and I felt like sharing. Oatmeal is a really good breakfast, it stays with you all day, unlike those empty calorie-laden pop tarts.

-1.5 cups rolled oats (or use steel-cut if you're a badass, but forget instant oats, they're no good)
-1.5 cups milk
-dash of salt
-2.5 handfuls almonds
-1 handful craisins (or similar dried fruit)
-1 spoonful jam (I recommend using apple, apricot, peach, or similar light ones)
-half-teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Boil milk with salt, stirring constantly (It'll burn, baby)
3. Put almonds on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and golden.
4. Once the milk is boiling, add oats, turn down heat to medium and cook until the milk is gone (~7 minutes).
5. Put jam, craisins (or dried cherries, currants, whatever. I don't know about the universality of cranberries.), and almonds in food processor. Give them a coarse chop (chunks of various sizes).
6. Mixed together.

Like it? I've a few other recipes that as simple and quick. Or perhaps you have some of your own.

</font>

Thanks, mommy. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-14, 4:27 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
-Car
-Gasoline

1. Drive to Burger King.
</font>

LOL!!
Sine's post wins by a landside.

[Put some relavancy to this post. Avenger and Bobbert bring up the important points. Americans are lazy-asses and sit around all day. I've seen people, at school, wait 5-10 minutes for someone to come and leave so they can park close to school despite there were at least 5 spots open further down. Excessive carbohydrate eating is one problem. But it's the sheer laziness that has made our fat-problem]
------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>

[This message has been edited by Gandalf1120 (edited February 14, 2004).]
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-14, 4:34 PM #18
A landslide? What are you *Smothered by landslide*

About breakfast:

The lazyman's breakfast meal:

-Laziness (Perferably large portion)

Let sit for 4-6 hours, until ready. When ready, prepare LUNCH MEAL.

(In other words, I don't eat breakfast)

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-14, 4:53 PM #19
Your oatmeal is complicated. I boil water in the kettle, put oats in a bowl, pour the water on them. Add brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon to taste.

Oats are good.
2004-02-14, 4:58 PM #20
Maple Syrup on oatmeal = Heaven.

------------------
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-14, 5:11 PM #21
Oatmeal tastes horrible.. It's like eating slush..

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-14, 5:19 PM #22
"You know what it tastes like? Tasty wheats...."

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-14, 5:28 PM #23
McCann's Irish Oatmeal is the best.
2004-02-14, 7:05 PM #24
but oatmeal cookies are the best in the world, and i mean that, better than oreos thay are.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-02-15, 4:42 AM #25
Oh yeah, those deserve a mention. Only thing is.. I can't stand 'em plain. They gotta have chocolate or something in them.

[This message has been edited by moneyobie (edited February 15, 2004).]
2004-02-15, 9:05 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Westerners eat crap. They shovel it into their mouth three times a day, plus smaller bits of pre-packaged crap. Supermarkets are lined wall-to-wall with crap, television is filled with advertisements of white-teethed actors and actresses selling crap to the already crap-inundated masses.</font>

You're damn right. I think I'll go get me some delicious crap now...

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-02-15, 10:30 AM #27
Y'know the ironic part? Even though we shovel our bodies full of this "crap", we're still living decades longer than previous generations -- more than twice as long if you count the dark ages when one was old at 30. So me, I have no complaints. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Food for thought. *Cringes at horrible pun.*

------------------
"Well, it could be worse -- it could be windy!" -popular Canadian saying.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2004-02-15, 10:45 AM #28
Yeah.. well, for one, they had untreatable diseases, while we have the benefit of modern health practices. Secondly, many had deficiency of the necessary vitamins--in contrast, despite the common consumption of "crap", nearly everyone's in a living condition thanks to multivitimins and the widespread eating of vitamin-packed food.

[This message has been edited by moneyobie (edited February 15, 2004).]
2004-02-15, 10:52 AM #29
Exactly. So all things considered, we're not all that badly off, health-wise. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Well, it could be worse -- it could be windy!" -popular Canadian saying.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2004-02-15, 12:35 PM #30
Stat, what you said was true, but... where's the meat in that meal?

You don't get stronger if you don't eat souls.
2004-02-15, 2:43 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krig_the_Viking:
Exactly. So all things considered, we're not all that badly off, health-wise. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

People choose to eat the crap too. It's their health. Now, what sucks is kids that grow being shoveled crap by their parents.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-15, 5:03 PM #32
Ugh... Pop-Tarts™...
Oatmeal (or any hot cereal) is definitely much better... I don't like the "flavored" stuff... I prefer to make my own... I prefer to add either jam, brown sugar, or maple syrup... They make a tastier, yet less sugar-loaded breakfast.

Aside from laziness, the main reason why humans get so obese is soda. Although I admit that it is a nice beverage, I cringe when I see people drinking it with EVERYTHING... I usually drink it only two or three times a month at the most... I haven't had any in the past month and a half, though...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-15, 6:09 PM #33
True. Regualr soda is loaded with tons of empty calories. Give me cold water and milk and I'm all good.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-15, 6:24 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stat:
Westerners eat crap.
</font>

I took that wrong at first...

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-15, 6:34 PM #35
Best meal ever:

1. Irish stew (lamb,potatoes,carrots, and I think cabbage?)

2. soda bread

3. Guinness

repeat 3rd step n times where n=as much as you can

or you could do the whole tea thing, but lemon isnt the best. LICORICE TEA!

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-15, 6:42 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krig_the_Viking:
Y'know the ironic part? Even though we shovel our bodies full of this "crap", we're still living decades longer than previous generations -- more than twice as long if you count the dark ages when one was old at 30. So me, I have no complaints. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Food for thought. *Cringes at horrible pun.*

</font>

Of course, in the Dark Ages, they didn't have an obesity epidemic nor an increase in food allergies and diabetes. Especially among children. Plus, just because medicine is better doesn't necessarily mean food is.

Food for thought.

------------------
I have become Death, destroyer of newbs.
Statavad-Gita 8:14
:master::master::master:

↑ Up to the top!