Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ben Franklin had it easy.
Ben Franklin had it easy.
2004-02-15, 5:50 AM #1
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Seven dead at kite-flying festival

From correspondents in Lahore
February 16, 2004

SEVEN people were killed and more than 100 injured in Pakistan during the annual kite flying festival marking the arrival of spring, officials said today.

An 18-month-old girl's throat was cut by a stray kite string while she was travelling with her parents on a motorbike, witnesses said, adding that she died on the spot.

Three people were electrocuted when metal wires they were using to fly or catch stray kites fell on live electric lines, and two people fell from roofs, hospital officials said.

A 12-year-old boy died while trying to catch a stray kite when he was hit by a car on a main road, police said.

More than 100 people had been reported injured since last night in various kite-related accidents, medical workers said.

Officials at Lahore's Mayo Hospital said 42 children and 60 adults had been treated for injuries.

"One child was injured by a stray bullet," deputy medical superintendent Dr Saqib Shafi told AFP.

Though firing guns is banned, people celebrate the spring festival by firing into the air, often causing casualties.

Relatives of people killed or injured in kite flying accidents held a demonstration in Lahore last year urging the government to maintain its ban on selling and flying kites.

More than 20 people have been killed in kite flying accidents in Lahore since last year's spring festival.

Casualties and frequent power outages caused by metal wires falling over power lines forced the government to ban the sale of kites and metal wire, but those restrictions were lifted this month to celebrate the festival, officials said.

Agence France-Presse
</font>

0_o, all I can say is:
[http://thebigkiteguy.com/images/mots10.jpg]

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 15, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-15, 5:56 AM #2
Holy crap [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

I'd be hold demonstrations urging the government to maintain citizen common sense rather than a ban on kites...

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-15, 6:00 AM #3
Is this real? Today is Febuary 15th.
2004-02-15, 6:00 AM #4
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
2) You statement is lacking any clear structure or grammer. Please add these things.</font>

Sweet irony...
/fluffle
2004-02-15, 6:02 AM #5
That's what I thought.. maybe Lahore is special?

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8696545%5E1702,00.html
------------------
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 15, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-15, 6:10 AM #6
Or maybe everybody there is just dumb, including whoever wrote the date.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 15, 2004).]
2004-02-15, 6:22 AM #7
I really hate how I show you a story and a picture that I FOUND and you post it here
2004-02-15, 6:23 AM #8
Isn't it great?

I just beat you to it :P

------------------
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade.
2004-02-15, 6:24 AM #9
What in the world!? Those people must be serioulsy stupid. I've never heard of anyone in any other countries managing to kill themselves with kites. Whatever gathering that was sounds like a deathtrap.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-15, 6:43 AM #10
As sad as that is, it is also pretty funny. It sounds so chaotic with people dying in some many ways. Stray bullets, electrical wires, car crashes, etc.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-15, 7:01 AM #11
With the exception of the girl who's throat was cut, the deaths and injuries appear to be due to shear stupidity. And hers was more than likely due to somebody else being a moron.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
2004-02-15, 9:33 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Though firing guns is banned, people celebrate the spring festival by firing into the air, often causing casualties.</font>

B.S. The probability of a bullet striking someone fatally when fired in such a fashion is *incredibly* low.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-15, 10:04 AM #13
Not really. It's the conservation of energy. If you fire a bullet straight up in the air, it'll have roughly the same potential energy at its apex as it did kinetic energy at the end of the gun barrel. Firing a gun into the air is basically like shooting at yourself from a couple of miles away.

Wasn't there a major news article a while ago about some kid at a KKK meeting having a bullet pass through the top of his head and out the bottom, because they were shooting guns in the air?
2004-02-15, 10:17 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
B.S. The probability of a bullet striking someone fatally when fired in such a fashion is *incredibly* low.

</font>

Casualty refers to injuries and deaths, no just deaths

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-15, 1:49 PM #15
There are many reports of casualties in the middle east when a wedding is held in a village, fully automatic rifles are fired into the air, and people in neighboring villages are hit.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-02-15, 1:51 PM #16
Imagine that, what goes up must come down.

It's also been known to happen in large crowded celebrations when people fire guns in the air. When you pack a lot of people together your odds of hitting somebody when the round comes back down go way up.

------------------
2004-02-15, 2:01 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
Imagine that, what goes up must come down.

</font>

Really, what do they think it's gonna disappear into the sky?

------------------

"Run Away!"
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-02-15, 2:32 PM #18
First of, its a different time zone, it is the 16th there

Secondly, my aunts live in that town along with many other family, and ive been there, to that festival, many many times in the past.

People. Are. Stupid. its very hard to be safe with events like that if you actually lived in pakistan youd know why. I don't know if thats legit news, or if its exaggerated but im not surprised. pity.

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-02-15, 2:39 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
Three people were electrocuted when metal wires they were using to fly or catch stray kites[/i] fell on live electric lines, and two people fell from roofs, hospital officials said.</font>
That was incredibly stupid. Metal wire + power lines + ground = zaparoo.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-15, 2:44 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
...Metal wire + power lines + ground = zaparoo.</font>

Wrong.

Metal wire + power lines + ground = fun.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-15, 2:46 PM #21
Only if you're watching someone else. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-15, 4:26 PM #22
The hood of my car was hit by a stray bullet in New Orleans a few years ago. It does happen.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-15, 4:59 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bobbert006:
The hood of my car was hit by a stray bullet in New Orleans a few years ago. It does happen.

</font>

Theres a dude that lives about a mile from me who owns a vintage AK-47. He likes to shoot it off on the 4th of July....

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-16, 1:23 AM #24
<3 Rod Nog

People who own guns are craazy unstable losers.

/me buys P90 and starts firing wildly into University students
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-02-16, 5:47 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Theres a dude that lives about a mile from me who owns a vintage AK-47. He likes to shoot it off on the 4th of July....

</font>

Have you told him about the MP3 attachment?

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!