Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Copywrites question.
Copywrites question.
2004-02-14, 4:06 PM #1
Ok, here's the deal. My friend is into the shirt making business, and has a silkscreen and the works. I came up with an awesome idea for a shirt that he wants to make, but it uses a picture of the Quake 1 or 2 Quad Damage powerup.

Now, he would be selling these on his website, so my question is: "Is this violating copywrites?" I think that normally, it might be, but I'm not sure because it's the Quake games. They're open source, and have been ripped apart by the community.

So anyone who is knowledgeable with copywrite laws, please give me your opinion.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-14, 4:10 PM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
I'm not sure because it's the Quake games. They're open source, and have been ripped apart by the community.

</font>

source code does not equal game content and i think he might want to contact id about this because it may violate their copyright

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-14, 4:12 PM #3
Yeah, send an email to id.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-14, 4:23 PM #4
ID has copyrights over the game's graphics. You should e-mail someone at ID and ask permission first.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-14, 4:29 PM #5
Oops. Thanks for the spelling correction.

And emailing ID... NOW!

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-14, 4:38 PM #6
Crap. The only email addy I could find on the site is their support address..

Should I use this one, or another one? Or should I contact activision directly?

------------------

My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-14, 5:15 PM #7
Most likely, that's a copyright violation. But I could be wrong.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-14, 7:20 PM #8
It definately falls under their copyrighted materials.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-02-14, 7:25 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
ID has copyrights over the game's graphics. You should e-mail someone at ID and ask permission first.

</font>

I believe the people who made the Quake series were from id software, not "ID." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-15, 12:07 PM #10
Perhaps a way you could get around that is if you add a slight deviance or variation to the quad damage symbol. That way, it would LOOK something like the quad damage symbol, but it would not be THE quad damage symbol.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-02-15, 12:29 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
I believe the people who made the Quake series were from id software, not "ID." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
</font>

Details, details [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-15, 3:10 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Perhaps a way you could get around that is if you add a slight deviance or variation to the quad damage symbol. That way, it would LOOK something like the quad damage symbol, but it would not be THE quad damage symbol.

</font>

I think he wants it to actually be the quad damage symbol, not some tacky rip-off.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-02-15, 3:25 PM #13
Let's see... No, putting any "Quake" "Q" (after all, that's what's used for the Quad damage...) on a T-shirt would NOT be copyright violation AT ALL...

...However, it WOULD be a serious violation of their trademarks.

...You MAY, however, contact Id software about using it. Chances are very high they'll turn you down (or want too much money). To fins out more, I'd reccomend looking at some of their documentation at:

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/commercial/

Suprisingly, I haven't seen Id sell shirts with any of the Quake symbols on them. Who knows, you may have a chance of being allowed to make those T-shirts!

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-15, 5:00 PM #14
nothing to do with the topic, but this quote made me chuckle from the id history page.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">id Software is currently hard at work creating the next chapter in the DOOM legacy, building a terrifying new experience based on the storyline of the original masterwork. Featuring a new, mind-blowing gaming engine from John Carmack, the closely guarded DOOM 3 is in development for the PC, and in true id fashion, will be released "when it's done."

</font>

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-15, 5:08 PM #15
I believe that it will be in in time for the holiday season of '07... A good enough time that the '08 U.S. Presidential election could hinge upon the candidate's fraggin' skills...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-15, 5:10 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Blizzard Entertainment is currently hard at work creating the next chapter in the Warcraft legacy, building an awesome new experience based on the storyline of the original masterwork. Featuring a new, mind-blowing gaming engine from Some Guy, the closely guarded World of Warcraft is in development for the PC, and in true Blizzard fashion, will be released "when it's done." </font>

------------------
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited February 15, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-16, 5:54 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:
http://www.idsoftware.com/business/commercial/
</font>

That doesn't have anything to do with apparel though. That's all "If you want to have a pay-to-get-in-lan-party."

------------------

My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!