Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → NBA All-Star Weekend
NBA All-Star Weekend
2004-02-14, 5:47 PM #1
I'll skip discussing the celeb game...since aside from Richard Jefferson taking the game a -bit- too seriously and then actually stinking, it was pretty forgettable [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Rookie game

This was awesome. LeBron and Melo were so terrific together right from the start. Made up for the next day's lackluster dunk comp. I'm sure I'm not the only one now imagining how good they'd be as teammates. Rookies just couldn't match the Sophmore's power forwards so it's no shock they lost [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]....not that many of them were trying.

Shootout

I kinda liked this, although whoever chose John Salley for a shooting comp really wasn't thinking too clearly.

Skills Comp

Semi-decent...if anyone had come even close to competing with Baron Davis. They didn't, so...next.

3pt Comp

This was the highlight of tonight. Peja seemed an easy winner before completely blowing it. Lenard would still have lost if he didn't do the smart thing by making sure (almost) every 2 ball went down.

Dunk comp

Bleh, they need to fix this thing BADLY. It has two major problems.

1) scoring for dunks is -hideously- messed up...two mediocre Fred Jones dunks score as high as Richardson's freaking amazing second 1st round dunk. Chris Anderson also got lower scores despite more impressive dunks than Jones...it's just insane, they need to come up with some kind of standard.

2) The problems described in 1) combined with the fact the only get to redo ONE dunk per round essentially means you have a good chance of winning by just playing it safe. There is little incentive to try more difficult outlandish dunks despite the fact this is what the fans want to see! Grr.

Anyway, Richardson was easily the best dunker in the competition as shown by that rebound/between-the-legs dunk which none of the others ever came close to in creativity. If the comp was setup properly to encourage creativity he would have walked it in.

All Star game tommorrow should be interesting....although I'm really wishing LeBron and Carmelo were playing now! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

PS - If you don't like basketball, don't post on this thread trying to ruin it for those of us that do. It happens almost every time, please just give us a wee bit of respect.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-14, 5:56 PM #2
Yeah Carmelo and LeBron are pretty amazing. I liked that little dunk comp they did at the end of the rook game, that was interesting.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-02-14, 10:24 PM #3
The thing is Jeff, every year half of the judges for the dunk contest werent prime dunkers in their time. I serioulsy say they bring Jason Richardson, Vince Carter, Kobe, and some other freakishly amazing dunkers, and then get Dominque Wilkins, Jordan, Dr. J, Kenny Smith, and who ever else to judge. It was pitiful. Time for me to sleep..I will comment on the whole weekend after the game

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-14, 11:29 PM #4
They need to adjust the scores for things like difficulty and execution. Even though he's short Fred Jones` dunks were nowhere near as good as Spud Webb's dunks all those years ago and he was a hell of a lot shorter.

That and allow for a lot more errors so dunkers are willing to attempt things no-one has before. Richardson's second dunk was the -only- one that fell into that catergory.

------------------
2004-02-14, 11:45 PM #5
What was J-Rich thinking? He could have won it with a pretty simple dunk at the end. Oh well. His second dunk (1st round) was freaking amazing.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-15, 4:16 AM #6
Who judges the dunk contest?

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-15, 8:10 AM #7
This year it was Laker greats: James Worthy, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Magic Johnson, and two other guys.

Fred Jones dunk in the second round was pretty difficult. He had to go far back to put that bad. But I definently agree with you that they should also judge on creativity and give more attempts. It with fuel creativity. Unfortunantly I did not get to watch anything else but the the first challenge with the 4 teams. It was a nice little quick game. I wouldnt mind watching it agian, except no more ceneters who cant shoot 3s (cough JOHN SALLEY).

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-15, 10:38 AM #8
Yeah Jones` first 2nd round dunk was pretty good, not a 50 but still. God knows how his 1st one of the night got a 50 though, that was simple......hell Anderson's first one was more impressive and he only got 43.

------------------
2004-02-15, 10:52 AM #9
They were hating on the white dude [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-15, 11:43 AM #10
It's sad that a dunk contest round can end with both guys missing their dunks. It should be a requirement the contest has to end with a completed basket of some sort. Anyways, the rookie game was probably the most exiciting game I have ever watched. Just so much fuin to see these great young players doing what they do.

------------------
"Buildings that we have created to be aesthetically pleasing are slaughtering birds."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-02-15, 11:56 AM #11
Yeah the rookie game really was terrific. Everyone really put on a show. Melo and James constantly looking to set each other up. Flip Murray taking some of the rooks one on one. Prince draining those 3's then finishing off with a pretty damn good dunk (I didn't know he could so that, eek!). Nene, Boozer and Stoudamire showing that the power forward position is alive and well [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I kinda wish T.J. Ford was voted to the rookie squad, he deserved it and would have added to the show greatly.....of course I can see why he wasn't, the rookies would have been even shorter [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] That's why they had someone like Haslem there ahead of him.

If today's all-star game is anywhere near as entertaining I'll be happy.

------------------
2004-02-15, 1:25 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:

I kinda wish T.J. Ford was voted to the rookie squad, he deserved it and would have added to the show greatly.....of course I can see why he wasn't, the rookies would have been even shorter [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] That's why they had someone like Haslem there ahead of him.

</font>

Damn straight! TJ leads rookies in assists, and is #8 in the league. He's the reason why the Bucks are a surprising 4th in the Eastern Conference, when everybody said that they would be last place in the LEAGUE. Go Bucks wooo!!!! TJ got shafted!!!!

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-02-15, 2:14 PM #13
Shootout
I thought it was hilarious how they chose John Salley to do those 3 pointers. I was surprised that Magic could still shoot. I though the Spurs would win....

Skills comp
Baron Davis's first run was great. By the way, how does his time compare to Jason Kidd's from last year?

3-point Comp
Kyle Korver was great as a newcomer. Because he's a rookie, I think that was what made him choke up. Overall the 3-point competition isn't as good as the past ones. Reggie Miller, Glenn Rice, Steve Kerr, those guys scored well over 20 points compare to these young players. Weren't those more competitors in the year before?

Dunk comp
I seem to be the only one who like Fred Jones. His dunks are hard to perform in my opinion. The timing has to be near perfect to execute those bounce dunks.
Jason Richardson was impressive with those NBA Street like dunks, but that one dunk that earned a 45 (the one where he ran from behind the backboard), I thought that dunk was average. I also didn't like how he redid his dunks so many times. Fred Jones isn't that short, he's 6'4''.
By the way, what's with the lack of competitors? Only 4 people signed up?!
Spudd Webb was amazing, a 5'5'' person able to dunk is crazy.

The All-Star game is about to start. The West will win.
2004-02-15, 3:55 PM #14
The East is taking it to the West!! The West have to get back on defense if they want to stay in the game. O'Neal, Maglore (or whatever) are taking it too to the west big men. And my main man Michael Redd with the nice reverse layup

------------------

2004-02-15, 5:05 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mscbuck:
The East is taking it to the West!! The West have to get back on defense if they want to stay in the game. O'Neal, Maglore (or whatever) are taking it too to the west big men. And my main man Michael Redd with the nice reverse layup

</font>

Shut up Wisconsis home boy

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-15, 5:33 PM #16
...and the West win, again.

Good 4th quarter.....some good highlights through out the game, but also a fair amount of blown passes, miscommunication, etc [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] Damn Michael Redd, I wanted overtime! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-15, 5:36 PM #17
Great game. I give props to the East for being able to stick with the West. All in all, I think this has been a very entertaining All-Star Weekend, maybe save for the last half of the dunk contest.

Had some great dunks in this game! Michael Redd with 13!! W000!! But, he couldn't get that last shot though, was a tough one. Kidd set a good pick for him though. I thought Jason Kidd played amazing. Some of those passes were mind-blowing

------------------

2004-02-15, 5:43 PM #18
I was very pleased. Great game. Great weekend except the last dunk part. I am please. Ready for the second half of the season now. GO KINGS.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-02-15, 5:50 PM #19
Kyle Korver is the bomb-dizzle. That is all.

------------------
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
2004-02-15, 5:52 PM #20
Why didn't Peja play more? Freaking idiot coaches [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-16, 2:47 PM #21
"The Shaq rules the paint, the Shaq rules the paint..."

Shaq is the MVP of the All Star game. Didn't he win it back in 2000?
2004-02-16, 3:00 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Why didn't Peja play more? Freaking idiot coaches [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Yeah and Kobe played 38 minutes, which is damn high for an All-Star game.

------------------
2004-02-16, 4:54 PM #23
He plays for LA, the game was in LA. There's the math for you.

------------------
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!