Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ninja Gaiden Demo "review"
Ninja Gaiden Demo "review"
2004-02-13, 4:08 PM #1
i just got an issue of OXM today with the Ninja Gaiden demo... and after cleaning the disc 500 times i finally got it to work... and ...

IT'S FRICKIN' AWSOME

The demo basically gives you one level (I'm guessing possibly the first level..and there could be more but i didn't get past the boss battle to find out) of the game the design of the level is quite good and it looks ok... one thing i've noticed in the demo is the environments look good but nothing that will be considered "the best graphics on xbox ever" the character models are quite sweet.. but that really doesn't matter... what matters is how it plays and it plays really well and the default layout for the controls works very well... the only complaint i have is the camera can be a bit iffy at times but you can center it with a quick squeeze of the right trigger

one thing to keep in mind... if you are an average gamer (or if your skill is below that level) expect to do a little bit of dying... the demo had 2 difficulty modes normal and hard... i don't think i'll EVER try hard since i can barely make it to the boss battle

if you have an xbox and have even been slightly interested in the game you might want to at least consider buying the march issue of OXM

------------------
wang is within all

[This message has been edited by DrkJedi82 (edited February 13, 2004).]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-13, 4:27 PM #2
Uhhh....thanks?

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-13, 4:44 PM #3
OXM?

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-02-13, 5:05 PM #4
OXM = Official Xbox Magazine

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.

[This message has been edited by Chaotic Ghost (edited February 13, 2004).]
2004-02-14, 8:25 AM #5
The game does indeed have incredible graphics, here's a screenshot.

[http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/ningaiden_012804_021.jpg]
2004-02-14, 9:03 AM #6
That's.. a weird combination of high-res and low-res textures.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-02-14, 9:59 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gothicX:
That's.. a weird combination of high-res and low-res textures.

</font>

Go figure. It's not for PC so....

------------------

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-14, 7:53 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snake-Eyes:
Go figure. It's not for PC so....

</font>

that... affects it how exactly?

------------------
saberopus
oh yeh wlel i jsut gots finesht wiht my morrwoind mod for teh JO An it takes up teh 900 gigabiets of spaec but i wlil not sowh yuo gyz teh scrnshoots becasue we dunat kare wut u gyz tihnk ne1 no wear i kan get ti hostad 4 dounlowd!!!!11!111 --Checksum
2004-02-14, 7:57 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saberopus:

that... affects it how exactly?

</font>

consoles have memory limitations that make it harder to put high res textures into every game

------------------
wang is within all
2004-02-15, 7:40 AM #10
In the ancient past of gaidin ninjas, the world was made of plastic and the people were crafted from putty..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-15, 8:29 AM #11
How come all the really cool ninja-esque games aren't comming out for PC...
I mean... StarCraft: Ghost, and now this... well.. okay, just two. Actually SCG isn't very ninja at all, so how about 1.2... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-15, 2:22 PM #12
Because most ninja games require alot of platform jumping. I could never play Shinobi (PS2) with a keyboard.

[http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/ninjagaiden_011504_008.jpg]

[http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/ninjagaiden_011504_028.jpg]
You can obviously tell this was made from the makers of the Dead or Alive series....
2004-02-15, 3:41 PM #13
I've currently been annoyed that Ninja Gaiden 3D (I add the 3D, since NJ is the name of the original) has only been for X-Box... It's shouldn't be that hard for Tecmo to port it to the PC version of Windows.

I certainly hope it's hard. If it were as easy as most modern games (such as JO and JA), it would be a disgrace to the Ninja Gaiden series. I also certainly hope that your life will constantly rely on you getting certain acrobatics JUST right, or else face a deadly fall, be it into a bottomless pit, a pool of acid, powerful machinery, or just a swarm of thugs.

As for the graphics, they do look good. I just hope the music is downright awesome, as was the originals (they were roughly midi-wuality, an impressive feat when the NES only allowed four types of tones). Also, the mention of texdture detail varrying, I'm not surprised. If I remember, the GeForce card in the X-Box has only 32 MB of memory. Since the game can't rely on Virtual Memory (like a PC does), textures must be limited. Also, If I remember correctly, even PC games have varrying texture detail levels. Most character models have a face detail level thats at around x4 the rest of the body. My JK WIP has scaling values ranging from 0.125 to 16 (mostly x1, x2, or x4). Different polygons having different detail levels is simply a smart wa to balance performance/size with visual quality.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-15, 3:44 PM #14
Ew, those last two shots make people... funny looking. :\

On one hand, we've got biker stud ninja man whose torso is too short or wide or something, and on the other hand we have the strip-club girl whose breasts are bigger than her head... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 15, 2004).]
2004-02-15, 4:05 PM #15
I do agree that Mr. Hayabusa's gear isn't quite right... the suit is too rubber-looking, and exposes too much of the arms.

As for her, implants usually aren't for ninjas (which I presume she's supposed to be), as they really have no real stealth/combat value...

As for what she's wearing, there's a REASON why ninjas wear black from head to toe... It allows easy hiding in shadows! Exposed skin in this case is much paler, and could be easily detected in shadows.

------------------
Nes finds a hamburger!

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited February 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited February 15, 2004).]
2004-02-16, 7:24 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:
As for her, implants usually aren't for ninjas (which I presume she's supposed to be), as they really have no real stealth/combat value...

As for what she's wearing, there's a REASON why ninjas wear black from head to toe... It allows easy hiding in shadows! Exposed skin in this case is much paler, and could be easily detected in shadows.
</font>

<3

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-17, 5:14 PM #17
well Ryu isn't exactly the stealthy type of ninja... he seems to be the jump around slicing people with his sword type of ninja

you want stealthy ninja games play the Tenchu series

------------------
wang is within all
2004-02-17, 5:17 PM #18
I love Tenchu.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-18, 7:37 AM #19
True, Ryu seems to have little to do with stealth, and a lot of running around like a madman (to think that at the end of the first level in NG1, he gets into a barfight!), disembowling a few thousand along the way, he's still a ninja. I'd have appreciated if they respected the stealth element a bit more...

------------------
Nes finds a hamburger!

↑ Up to the top!