Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Spiritism
Spiritism
2004-02-18, 10:10 AM #1
I wondered if I should post this in the religious discussion forum, but first off, I don't want to go there, and second, this doesn't have to be a religious issue I think!

I have not tried spiritism, but why does everyone who has tell you not to touch it with a ten-foot pole? I mean, you hear stories and everything, but most of those who tell you not to try it seem fine.

------------------
Or then not. --FastGamerr/Nikumubeki
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-02-18, 10:13 AM #2
hi.

------------------
Current Maps | Inclusion | Restless Endeavor

There is a thin line between insanity and stupidity. I am that line.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2004-02-18, 10:19 AM #3
wazaaaaaaaaaaa

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-02-18, 10:31 AM #4
I have no idea what you are talking about.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-02-18, 10:41 AM #5
It's as simple as taking 3 seconds to google it. It was the first link that came up: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14221a.htm

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-18, 10:42 AM #6
I think when someone says that that are into spiritism, it is just another way of them saying they believe the Weggie board actually works.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-02-18, 10:46 AM #7
I'm taking this thread to MEXICO!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-02-18, 10:46 AM #8
this is my post. it is shiny and tastes good with gravy.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-02-18, 10:47 AM #9
uh, I said wazaaa, where are my minions?

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-02-18, 10:58 AM #10
All the way to Mexico.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-18, 11:02 AM #11
I personally have never tried it, and do not plan too. But honestly, just because the person seems "fine" is a stupid reason too try it.

I've broken my arm, but another person hasn't. I seem fine now, so why shouldn't the other person try it? Catch my drift? Obviously if the person delved in it and are now telling you not too, they probably had some bad experience that they don't want you too go through as well.

Anyways, that's just my 10 cents.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-02-18, 11:55 AM #12
When I grow up I want to be like Rolf Harris and own my own wobble-board.

I shall then live in a fridge with the magical never-ending carton of beer and inflict massive liver damage upon myself like my grandfather and great-grandfather before me.
2004-02-18, 12:08 PM #13
*Parties like its 1999*

Yeah.. Talking to spirits, seems a bit crazy to me

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-18, 12:22 PM #14
Long story short, spiritists believe in ghosts.

I don't see why that even warrants a whole religion.
2004-02-18, 1:04 PM #15
Stop derailing the man's thread. It's rude.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-02-18, 1:35 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
I think when someone says that that are into spiritism, it is just another way of them saying they believe the Weggie board actually works.</font>

Ouija. If you're going to poke fun at what other people believe, at least make sure "Hooked on Fonix" actually worked for you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-02-18, 2:08 PM #17
Now WeeGee, on the other hand, is that cute little droid of Kyle's father that everyone has grown to love. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-02-18, 4:04 PM #18
Spiritism has always been a faddy/New Age (especially among fatty New Agers) thing, so it has no credentials. It falls under the practice of necromancy, which most occult practitioner really bothers with, since the risk outweighs benefits, and it's frowned upon by most systems. However, one could argue Christian/Shi'ite veneration of the dead is a form of necromancy, but that's for a different thread.

------------------
I have become Death, destroyer of newbs.
Statavad-Gita 8:14
:master::master::master:
2004-02-18, 10:40 PM #19
A ouija board is nothing more than a party trick. Spiritism is not much more than that, either. But if you're into believing in unsubstantiated bull****, then I'd say dive right in. You've got nothing to lose, and even less to gain.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-02-19, 12:01 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
I personally have never tried it, and do not plan too. But honestly, just because the person seems "fine" is a stupid reason too try it.

I've broken my arm, but another person hasn't. I seem fine now, so why shouldn't the other person try it? Catch my drift? Obviously if the person delved in it and are now telling you not too, they probably had some bad experience that they don't want you too go through as well.
</font>

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm not going to bother trying spiritism though, I don't believe it's anything more than our rich world of psychology playing with the more weak of mind.

I didn't start this thread to find out if I should try spiritism, or painting myself red, or getting into Feng Shui (where pointy objects in your house are bad, the toilet door should be faced in a specific direction, and so on and so forth), I just wanted to know if any of you who had tried spiritism had something mysterious happen (or imagined to happen).

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
It's as simple as taking 3 seconds to google it. It was the first link that came up: </font>

Yeah, thank [insert higher entity here] for Google. Maybe next time when I have something to say, like "I have rats in my house. They are annoying. Do you guys have rats in your houses? Let's hear your worst experiences with pesky rats." I'll just Google it!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Krokodile (edited February 19, 2004).]
2004-02-19, 1:11 AM #21
Relax Krok. I think he was replying to the post above his. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

As for the topic. I've never felt compelled to believe in anything like that because I've never experienced anything that can't be logically explained or hasn't just been a remarkable coincidence.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-02-19, 3:16 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder:
Relax Krok. I think he was replying to the post above his. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]</font>

After careful evaluation, it looks like you're right!

I'm sorry, Freelancer. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
2004-02-19, 7:09 AM #23
Spiritism falls more under the definition of "divination," than necromancy. Necromancy is just a type of divination specifically dealing with the calling of the spirits of the dead. Spiritism is broader in an attempt to control spirits in general, and not just those of former-humans.

Divination is an atempt to wield supernatural power of some kind, whether it be with spirits, voodoo, tarot cards, ouiji boards, or whatever else.

Say of it what you will, but the basic idea as to why it is frowned upon is that it's a lie. It is the delusion that one can control something greater than oneself; one that can only be believed when one says he or she is greater than what they hope to control.

All the stories of bad happenings resulting from it are based on this.

Stuff like Ouiji boards are manufactured items, obviously with no intrinsic power, but it is said that it is the mindset that causes bad things; the invitation that one offers when one denies that there are things greater than oneself.

Basically it is believed that by deluding yourself, you deny the truth. You "control" the spirits (which are believed to be greater than yourself) and supposedly get information, without ever realizing that you are the one being controled. Your mind is what has been twisted to believe the lie, and the spirits were never under your power.

I'd say avoid it, but that's up to you.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!