Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Was in a car wreck today
Was in a car wreck today
2004-02-18, 3:42 PM #1
I was driving down the highway in the right lane on the way to work this morning. Somebody came up the entrance ramp and his acceleration lane quickly merged into mine. First, he was flying up the entrance ramp because he was going the same speed as I was up on the freeway. Second, he apparently didn't bother looking b/c he started merging right into the side of my car. I started to pull left into the middle lane and honked my horn to warn him that I was there and he needed to pull his head out of his *&^. Apparently it startled him resulting in his head going farther up his *&^. He yanked the wheel to the left and slammed into me (twice). He went bouncing into the right guard rail and I flew across a lane and a half and hit the concrete wall on the other side. Thank God there were no other cars there.

My car was officially totalled about 5PM. The damage as I remember included:
Front and rear panels on the pasenger side smashed.
Rear driver side panel smashed.
Rear passenger side door dented.
Passenger side headlight blown out.
Passenger and driver tail lights blown out.
Driver side rear wheel ripped off.

So, now I need to go car shopping.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
2004-02-18, 3:45 PM #2
ouch, sorry Mike =(
i take it you weren't hurt, though?
is his insurance going to cover it all? or what?

------------------
why is a raven like a writing desk?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-18, 3:47 PM #3
Well seeing as you seem to be alright, car shopping can be fun.
what kind of car did you have and what would you get?

(update your sig links [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] )

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-18, 3:49 PM #4
Yikes, that sucks. Are you okay?
A few times a year we take long trips, and it is amazing how close we have been to a few wrecks on the interstate. One lady a bit in front of us in the fast lane (we were in the slow) managed to hit the concrete median all by herself and spin her car around the wrong way and stop. Fun place to be with cars heading right towards you at 80 MPH. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-18, 3:50 PM #5
What an asshat! You should always do a headcheck or at least look in the driver side mirror when merging onto a freeway. Well at least he's at fault, and insurance should cover it...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-18, 3:52 PM #6
I can't stand it when people simply look in the mirror. I've been nearly merged into four or five times because morons don't check to see if anyone's in their blind spot. Turn your head and look.

Sorry to hear it, Mike. From the lack of note of it, I would assume that the other guy has insurance, and be thankful for that. I've got a friend who's trying to pay off $1500 worth of repairs caused by someone who didn't have insurance. It's ridiculous.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-18, 3:52 PM #7
[http://wabashweb.com/germany/week1/small-car-large.jpg]

The Bike is 200 dollars, the car...you can have.

------------------
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-18, 4:10 PM #8
I'm ok, but if you any insurance adjusters ask I have severe neck and back injuries [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

He had insurance. I was driving a 1999 Chevy Lumina. Looking online it looks like I will probably only get around 3.5K-4K for it. I will have to pay a good bit more than that for any decent car from a dealership.

------------------
2004-02-18, 4:10 PM #9
Glad your not hurt,
Once that almost happend to me except it was an 18 wheeler.
There were other cars beside me so I couldn't get in the left lane, before he saw me, I was scared poopless.

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
Immorality- 1 Cor. 6:18, 2 Tim. 2:22
Impure thoughts- Col. 3:2, Phil. 4:8
Alcohol- Eph. 5:18, Prov. 20:1
Anger- Gal. 5:22, Prov. 20:3
Pride- 1 Peter 5:5, Dan. 4:37
Worry- 1 Peter 5:7, Phil. 4:6-7
speech- James 1:26, Eph. 4:29-5:2
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2004-02-18, 4:16 PM #10
Well, Nissan has never done me wrong. I got a '94 Nissan Maxima with 74K on it, luxery package and all that fun stuff for $4,400 around Christmas time. Of course, I did buy off ebay... so that is a contributing factor.
sigs are fun stuff
2004-02-18, 5:08 PM #11
my brother paid around $5k for his Nissan Sentra
'97 model with around 70k miles on it.

i love the thing [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] (manual transmission, of course)

good luck shopping and go find a chiropractor (=

------------------
why is a raven like a writing desk?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-18, 5:09 PM #12
Glad you're ok, and best wishes on car shopping.
Have a smile for good luck [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif], and another for coming out ok [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif].

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-02-18, 5:35 PM #13
Yikes, wrecks are no fun. Glad you're ok. And ya... Bad drivers are one thing, but unsafe bad drivers are totally different.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-18, 6:10 PM #14
Yikes man, glad you're okay... And Rod-Nog... Thats a car? Are you sure it isn't a motor scooter with a canopy?

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-02-18, 6:14 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I can't stand it when people simply look in the mirror. I've been nearly merged into four or five times because morons don't check to see if anyone's in their blind spot. Turn your head and look.

</font>

I know the feeling. I've narrowly avoided several accidents where the other drivers sterts to move into my lane while I am there. Worst was when a big rig almost squeezed me off the road. Scared me ****less.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-19, 2:00 AM #16
I hate idiots like that. Hope you are ok, ok?

We have a "killer" intersection nearby where I live, and at least 1 pearson dies there a month. Our government doesn't want to do anything about it yet, either. Stupid.

I hate today's driving standards.

But here's something to brighten us up:

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of ages, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe, that we are above average drivers."

I know this Porsche here that needs buyin'...

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-02-19, 6:20 AM #17
Man..glad you're alright..a guy over on vvti.net just totalled his car on the highway as well, but he was at fault.

Cars can be replaced..people are just a little harder..

As for a new or new/used car..I'm biased towards Toyota. Blue book on my Corolla ('98 with 140,500ish on it) is just about $4000..it runs like new..

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-02-19, 11:02 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Worst was when a big rig almost squeezed me off the road. Scared me ****less.</font>
I've been in the same situation. I'm in a left lane next to a semi, left lane merges. I can't see the sign because signs are on the right side of the road. I speed up to get ahead, make it, and go home to change my shorts.

Maybe these morons who put up merging lane signs should consider puting them in the lane where they can be seen in any traffic condition.

As for cars, I've always been a fan of the DeLorean. But that's just me.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 19, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-19, 11:15 AM #19
Practically the same thing happened to me today as MikeC. Fortunately, there was no accident. This fool in the next lane drfted over and almost hit me!

Again, glad you're ok.

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-02-19, 12:55 PM #20
Woah! Glad you're ok tho MikeC. Think of it this way: That guy got some damage to HIS car too, right? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven!

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/Mots | Pac-Man JK

2004-02-19, 5:50 PM #21
Mike, did you take any photos? That sounds like a craptacular accident! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

Those clowns are the main reason I gave up riding motorbikes. I've had too many scary incidents like that. Lucky for me that bikes can get out of the way faster.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm ok, but if you any insurance adjusters ask I have severe neck and back injuries</font>
You stuffed when they find out your a moderator. They'll say it's due to extreme stress. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-02-20, 5:55 AM #22
I would've got outta my car and beat the living hell outta that jackass..

I'm really sick and tired of people that can't handle driving. It's seriously getting on my nerves. While driving it's apparently not their number 1 proriety most of the time, or they just get so comfortable they don't care.. Your powering a 3000lbs machine that is to be respected and not treated like your dog!

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-02-20, 6:03 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I can't stand it when people simply look in the mirror. I've been nearly merged into four or five times because morons don't check to see if anyone's in their blind spot. Turn your head and look.</font>

Not to offend anyone, but if the driving schools you all went to taught you the proper way to adjust your mirrors, you wouldn't have a blind spot...

While sitting in your driver seat, you should adjust your mirrors outward, so that YOU CANNOT SEE THE SIDE OF YOUR VEHICLE, that is so important, as my dad says, "Why should you see your car when your in it."

They way I do it, it's usually easist on the freeway, wait till your slowly passing a car or they are passing you, adjust your mirrors so that when you see the *** -end of the vehicle LEAVING your mirror you should see the front end in your periphel vision! No neck breaking and there for no need to take yours eyes off the road. If you have to go spend $8 at your local autozone and buy one of those rear view mirros that are bigger and have a slight curve on them so you can see all the way around your vehicle, very handy. My friend just bought one.

Also, your hands should be at 9 and 3. Not 10 and 2, with 9 and 3 you have more room for your hands to make a wider turn range if a situation becomes necessary.

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-02-20, 6:25 AM #24
Blind spots are very car-specific, Z@NARDI.

I'd like to think I have my mirrors setup pretty well, but it amazes how a small, low, 2-seater convertible like an MX-5 or S2000 can completely dissapear from my mirrors in an instant.

Also, I find being able to see the edge of my car in the side mirror very useful sometimes when backing out of a tight space (like my rock-edged driveway). Yeah looking over a shoulder is usually enough, but the car buldges out on the sides over the wheel arches a little, and if it's really close the side mirror is always enough to know if I'm gonna make it.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited February 20, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!