Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Computer Problems
Computer Problems
2004-02-21, 6:33 AM #1
I've tried resolving this without success. Every few minutes, my computer just freezes. After about 10 seconds or so, it goes back to normal. It affects my clock even. I set it last night at 10:00. It now reads 7:31 when it really is around 11:30. I've tried closing all open programs with task manager, but it does nothing. So I'm assuming the problem is hardware, or the power supply. I don't want to start ripping things out of my computer unless I have to though. I appreciate any help.

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

The Giant Internet IC Masturbator - Index of IC pinouts
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-21, 6:36 AM #2
Virus Scan?

------------------
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-02-21, 6:44 AM #3
I've had problems like this many times in the past... and I have fixed it by changing something called 'battery' from my computer. Since it seems to affect your clock, I think it is the 'battery' (I don't know the right term in english) that is causing the problems.

I think that's the problem. I had a problem like this almost 1 year ago, and after changing the 'battery' I had to change to RAM to make the computer work properly. But I believe your problem is with the 'battery'.

/me fades

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-02-21, 7:11 AM #4
The battery (actually "cell") only keeps track of the clock when the computer is off.

Virus scan seems to be picking up several types of trojans. I think I've found the problem.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

National Electrical Code (NEC) Online - Don't do wiring without consulting it. OR ELSE!

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 21, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-02-21, 7:15 AM #5
Are you the only person using that computer?
Because trojans don't install themselves, you know...

(I am not hinting that another person manually installed them but that your sense of security and awareness is lacking)

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore

[This message has been edited by Molgrew (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 9:51 AM #6
^ Probably true.

Can anyone recommend a good (free) antivirus program? The one I used was unable to scan some of the files, plus I still have the same problem after removing 4 viruses.

[edit: Nevermind. Restarting my pc fixed the last of it.]

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited February 21, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music

↑ Up to the top!