Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Serious Sam + Nvidia == Arson
Serious Sam + Nvidia == Arson
2004-02-20, 4:00 PM #1
Okay so here's the deal, i possess a card which i'm fairly certain is a riva nvidia tnt [no bloody a b c or d].

I also possess the demo of Serious Sam 2 which i just finished dl'ing.

I run said demo, it cycles through about 27 different resolutions and such.. and then finally informs me that it cannot select a video mode. So reading the troubleshooting page about that i say ah we must make certain that we have the proper nvidia opengl compliant drivers or whatever installed.

We are fairly certain that we do, as we have spent many hours in the past trying to find the requisite drivers to make it run all properly and happily.

So we spend quite a bit more time seeing if there are more recent ones or ones we had overlooked. This leads us to an immense 20m bundle from nvidia site claiming to be a unified driver for everything from TNTs to Geforce27s. We install this.. the adapter driver seems to remain the same, so we try to update the driver using the inf files from the aforementioned bundle. This shows a lovely list of things from Geforce 5200s to like 6400s i think. Obviously quite useless for this card.

We give up and start looking for abandoned barns to torch..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-20, 4:09 PM #2
Don't update with the inf, use the installer. Also the Windows supplied drivers usually support OpenGL, just Direct3D. Go figure.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-20, 4:15 PM #3
I think it's time for a new video card.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-20, 4:29 PM #4
Are you SURE you selected the correct one at nvidia site?
geforces and rivas are separate downloads

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-20, 4:45 PM #5
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_45.33.html

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The industry's only true Unified Driver Architecture (UDA) - supports over five generations of NVIDIA GPUs - from TNT to GeForce FX - all in a single driver binary</font>

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
2004-02-20, 4:59 PM #6
Strange, how exactly did you get to that?
I tried all seemingly logical combinations from http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-20, 5:08 PM #7
I'm not entirely sure, somewhere through google i believe. But yeah the site itself seems to be monumentally useless for finding drivers for anything behind the most recent couple.

And i /did/ run the setup, that's the thing, it still kept the same damn stupid microsoft corporation nvidia tnt driver [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
2004-02-20, 5:20 PM #8
Kudos for the Next Generation/Scotty reference.

------------------
TI-MAH!
2004-02-20, 7:45 PM #9
Hmm... just updated the drivers on my server, which has a TNT2. Didn't have any problems. Clear your temp folder and try it again.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-20, 8:28 PM #10
I have a TNT, not a TNT2..

------------------
2004-02-20, 8:53 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
...And i /did/ run the setup, that's the thing, it still kept the same damn stupid microsoft corporation nvidia tnt driver [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]</font>

Welcome to Plug 'n Pray. You are praying to Bill Gates. He does not hear you.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-20, 9:03 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Welcome to Plug 'n Pray. You are praying to Bill Gates. He does not hear you.

</font>

Could you have just saved the time and effort and NOT posted that?

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-21, 3:32 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by the Serious Sam: Second Encounter system requirements:
full OpenGL or DirectX 8 Compliant 3D accelerator</font>

Yeah... with an original TNT, you're looking at DirectX 6 features. And, I mean, when the TNT was new DirectX 6 games were bleeding edge, with their whopping 2 textures per pass, lack of hardware T&L and distinction between DirectDraw and Direct3D. Hehe. Even if you managed to get the drivers working, there's absolutely no reason to think the card would be capable of running a relatively new game. Which is probably why the game doesn't work with the Windows CD WHQL drivers.

Remember, they were using Serious Sam: SE to benchmark with the GeForce2. That's about 3 generations higher than the TNT.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 6:48 AM #14
Guh.. that's silly. Usually if i can't run a game i bloody damn well can't run it, but this one i actually have the reqs for, processor and memory and all.. bloody old card.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

[Anyone want to mail me a newer one? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 7:13 AM #15
I might be able to get you an GeForce 4 MX440

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-21, 7:40 AM #16
Oo that would be outstanding (:

Except i don't actually have an agp slot, so if that's what it is, then it won't do me much good..
And what i googled on them says that theyre not dx8 compliant either.. though there were about 7 different versions of them it seems.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 12:06 PM #17
DX7, because they don't support shaders which were an integral part of DX8.

Which is why I always told people not to buy them and go for a low end GF3 or GF4 instead. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

2004-02-21, 1:03 PM #18
since you have no AGP i'd have to say that the best nvidia option is GF FX5200 and the best ATI option would be a Radeon 9000 last time i checked

i'll let someone who would know more about those cards make a suggestion on which is better

------------------
wang is within all
2004-02-21, 1:06 PM #19
Or maybe the new nVidia PCI line with any friggin card they have made for PCI [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-21, 1:09 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Or maybe the new nVidia PCI line with any friggin card they have made for PCI [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

could you rephrase that... IN HUMAN PLEASE

------------------
wang is within all
2004-02-21, 1:23 PM #21
He's thinking of PCI Express. Which is different than normal PCI, and virtually nobody owns a PCI Express mobo/video card yet.

2004-02-21, 4:31 PM #22
I do, and mine's fairly old. O_o

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-21, 5:13 PM #23
Really. Because PCI Express is meant to replace AGP8x.
2004-02-21, 5:19 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
Really. Because PCI Express is meant to replace AGP8x.</font>

He problably thinks you mean 64-bit PCI...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-21, 6:00 PM #25
Ah, I did, nm then. My mistake.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!