Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Am I the only one who finds this completely tasteless?
Am I the only one who finds this completely tasteless?
2004-02-21, 12:15 PM #1
http://www.exileworks.com/games.htm

Ugh. Discuss.
2004-02-21, 12:18 PM #2
Its not that bad kinda reminds me of deer hunter.

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!
2004-02-21, 12:20 PM #3
only thing i don't like about it is that they're using Torque =/
gives GarageGames and Torque a bad name.

------------------
why is a raven like a writing desk?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-02-21, 12:20 PM #4
Deer Hunter is a simulator, that most younger gamers find incredibly boring. This is different.

Also, I like how you're released into an environment TEEMING with "endangered" animals and just run around and kill all of them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Considering some endangered species number only in the hundreds, that game would be over quickly. Time to raid the zoos!

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------@%

The Matrix: Unplugged

I'm a C4D b****!
2004-02-21, 12:21 PM #5
Yes.
2004-02-21, 12:22 PM #6
I agree. Completely tasteless...

But isn't this only a step up from current games? GTA games have had the player avoiding and even killing police. Many other games do similar things.

Meh. At any rate, this game is at the top of my "DO NOT BUY" list. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven!

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/Mots | Pac-Man JK

2004-02-21, 12:23 PM #7
A bad name, indeed. Look at the main character:

[http://www.exileworks.com/screens/poacher/Roman_Poacher.jpg]
2004-02-21, 12:27 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer:
But isn't this only a step up from current games? GTA games have had the player avoiding and even killing police. Many other games do similar things.
</font>

Sorta. GTA is comedy, though. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] The cops in GTA deserve to die. They're cartoon characters. Jerks, too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
2004-02-21, 12:33 PM #9
I don't see anything wrong with it. The animals are endangered in real-life, in a game they're just pixels.....so who cares? It's not like it's going to inspire people to go to Africa and kill them themselves.

*shrug*

Looks ****, however, and their first title includes "Xtreme" in the title. Now that offends me and they all need to die horrible deaths...preferably after being hunted down in a low poly ATV or helicopter.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-21, 12:35 PM #10
Yeah, not only is it a very tactless plot, the 3D artists just outright suck, too!

Jaiph, while your point is a valid one, personally I don't see any reason at all a game should promote blatent disregard for the law.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 12:36 PM #11
^ Exactly. [edit]pointing towards Jaiph[/edit]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 12:37 PM #12
um i dont skin or anything, but to me it looks like the character skin shown above could be done better by most any of the skinners at massassi

------------------
Life is too important to take seriously
-Oscar Wilde
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
~ Oscar Levant
2004-02-21, 12:42 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Yeah, not only is it a very tactless plot, the 3D artists just outright suck, too!

Jaiph, while your point is a valid one, personally I don't see any reason at all a game should promote blatent disregard for the law.

</font>

Pretty much every FPS out there disregards the law....and most street racing games....and a hell of a lot of other games escaping me now. As long as a person can seperate reality from a computer game I don't see the problem.

------------------
2004-02-21, 12:45 PM #14
Roman has Vulcan ears [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] !
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
I don't see anything wrong with it. The animals are endangered in real-life, in a game they're just pixels.....so who cares? It's not like it's going to inspire people to go to Africa and kill them themselves.</font>

Actually, you never know. Some kids in Oaklynn, NJ (USA) took after The Matrix and loaded their car fulla guns, dressed like Morpheus, and went off to "save the world". Fortunately, they were arrested before too much happened.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Pretty much every FPS out there disregards the law....and most street racing games....and a hell of a lot of other games escaping me now. As long as a person can seperate reality from a computer game I don't see the problem.</font>

I agree with that.
[rant]
Unfortunately (?) for me, a certain pair of parents don't see it that way. Not sure if that's good or bad for me, though. As a result of their views, I can't play games like Halo or RtCW. And they're making JK and 007 iffy because of the guns, even though there's no blood (blood is their main argument against M/some T games).
[/rant]

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited February 21, 2004).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-02-21, 12:46 PM #15
While this is a tasteless game, how are games like Hitman any differant?

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-02-21, 12:48 PM #16
(edit- in response to jaiph)

Eh, kindof. It's one thing to have a game where you run around and kill people (whether it be a war, an attack from evil demons from Mars, or just a pointless deathmatch) but I just don't think it's very {can't think of a word at the moment other than tasteful} to make a game where the POINT of the game is to break the law. I'm not going to go on any rampage saying all these games are sins and corrupting society or nonsense like that, because they're not. I don't believe for a minute any dimwit out there who DOES do this stuff in real life does it because they got it out of a video game... but even still, just doesn't seem right to me. Just my opinion.

------------------

2004-02-21, 12:48 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Actually, you never know. Some kids in Oaklynn, NJ (USA) took after The Matrix and loaded their car fulla guns, dressed like Morpheus, and went off to "save the world". Fortunately, they were arrested before too much happened.
</font>

Yes and the kids involved in Columbine loved to play Doom. The truth is, messed up people will find inspiration from anything. How many murderers has the Bible inspired?

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 12:49 PM #18
So its all right to kill hordes of people... but not animals?
2004-02-21, 12:49 PM #19
i think it looks pretty cool, and its just a GAME.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-02-21, 12:50 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
It's not like it's going to inspire people to go to Africa and kill them themselves.
</font>

That's actually my main gripe with this game--Poacher is a lot more likely to make some kid go out and shoot a cat with a BB gun than GTA is to make that same kid go out and shoot a person.

Normally I'm not one to side with the "omg gaems make people kill people" school of thought, but there are plenty of otherwise okay kids out there who lack the ethical reservations about hurting animals that they have about hurting people.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------@%

The Matrix: Unplugged

I'm a C4D b****!
2004-02-21, 12:51 PM #21
Postal sucked. So will this.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-02-21, 12:53 PM #22

------------------
Don't be unwise judge me not by my size. You wont believe your eyes watch the xwing rise!
2004-02-21, 12:54 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:

</font>

Wow, you're quite a debater there. Got anything to add to that?
2004-02-21, 12:54 PM #24
Yeah, games don't make people unstable, they are unstable to start with. Politicians and ignorant community groups like to point the finger at them however as it makes life so much simpler when you have something to blame.

------------------
2004-02-21, 12:55 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
That's actually my main gripe with this game--Poacher is a lot more likely to make some kid go out and shoot a cat with a BB gun than GTA is to make that same kid go out and shoot a person.</font>

No it wont. Video games don't make people do jack squat. It's the person's already messed up mind and the person alone.

------------------
2004-02-21, 12:56 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hunt many endangered species such as rhinos, tigers, and elephants to name a few. </font>

I agree, that's pretty tasteless. They say it right there; hunt many endangered species. I can't really justify my reasoning for this being wrong versus a game where you kill humans. Games these days are very questionable, there are several very fine lines that define what is right and wrong. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

------------------
"And I listen for the whisper of your sweet insanity, while I formulate denials of your affect on me. You're a stranger, so what do I care. Vanish today, not the first time I hear, all the lies..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2004-02-21, 12:57 PM #27
Not to say this reflects my opinion at all, but just to spur debate I'll bring up the point: Humans can fight back.... ? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

2004-02-21, 1:00 PM #28
Quote:
Normally I'm not one to side with the "omg gaems make people kill people" school of thought, but there are plenty of otherwise okay kids out there who lack the ethical reservations about hurting animals that they have about hurting people.
</font>

Yeah, but I'd bet good money those kids are likely doing those things already. If anything this game might occupy a few hours when they'd -otherwise- be out maiming real animals.

------------------
2004-02-21, 1:03 PM #29
Woohoo! I hope there are pandas in it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]!!!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-02-21, 1:03 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
No it wont. Video games don't make people do jack squat. It's the person's already messed up mind and the person alone.

</font>

I'll agree that mentally stable people are not influenced by video games. And I believe that mentally stable people are the only people who SHOULD be allowed to play video games. But the fact is that ****ed up people DO play video games, and they ARE influenced by them. On top of that there's the fact that many younger people (age 10 and under, I'm thinking) can be influenced by video games to some extent. Don't try and tell me that's not true, because I have evidence of it living in my own house.
2004-02-21, 1:05 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Not to say this reflects my opinion at all, but just to spur debate I'll bring up the point: Humans can fight back.... ? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

[http://members.shaw.ca/stan420/Pictures/magpics/fnf2000.jpg]

[http://www.secretweapon.com/images/secret/oicw-soldier.jpg]

Debate over. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by Thrawn42689 (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 1:14 PM #32
Quote:
[http://members.shaw.ca/stan420/Pictures/magpics/fnf2000.jpg]

</font>

looks like the gun from splinter cell

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-02-21, 1:25 PM #33
Can I see a picture of "the gun from Splinter Cell?"

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-02-21, 1:29 PM #34
No.

------------------
2004-02-21, 1:33 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kak:
So its all right to kill hordes of people... but not animals?</font>

Yeah.

Ever been to a movie where hundreds of people sit there in entertained silence while on screen a whole swathe of people get cut down in gruesome gunfire, yet when one puppy or other cute animals cops an off-screen bullet to somewhere fatal the entire audience lets out a similtaneous 'Awwwwwwwwwwwwww'?

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-21, 1:33 PM #36
Quote:
I'll agree that mentally stable people are not influenced by video games. And I believe that mentally stable people are the only people who SHOULD be allowed to play video games. But the fact is that ****ed up people DO play video games, and they ARE influenced by them. On top of that there's the fact that many younger people (age 10 and under, I'm thinking) can be influenced by video games to some extent. Don't try and tell me that's not true, because I have evidence of it living in my own house.</font>

Anyone who is influenced by a video game is mentally unstable. That's the point. People should be able to differentiate from real life and virtual simulations. If they can't, then they need to not be able to use things like video games.

Too much blame on the people trying to make a living in this world, and not enough placed on the parents of the individuals, who should be in charge of what their children play if they are so heavily influenced, or the person themselves to seek help, if needed.

It's not the damn game, its the person.

------------------
2004-02-21, 1:37 PM #37
Quote:
Too much blame on the people trying to make a living in this world, and not enough placed on the parents of the individuals, who should be in charge of what their children play if they are so heavily influenced, or the person themselves to seek help, if needed.

It's not the damn game, its the person.
</font>

I'm not debating that, but are you going to go out and stop every one of the hundred thousand parents who let their six year old play this game? They knew this would be controversial--that's why they put it in there. It's done to sell copies of the game. They know perfectly well who's going to be playing the game. Bargain games are more likely to be picked up by the average family anyway. The fact is, the parents of these children are too lazy to get off their asses and find take charge of what their children are playing. The game developers can't fix that, but they can think about where their product is going to end up when they make it.

[This message has been edited by Thrawn42689 (edited February 21, 2004).]
2004-02-21, 2:02 PM #38
But they shouldn't have to. If this game gets out, it's definately gonna be M, knowing the rating system. Therfore, its the parent's fault if they play a game like that.

------------------
2004-02-21, 2:09 PM #39
Then the kid gets gunned down while trying to commit an atrocity, thus preventing his parents' genes from continuing on into the next generation. Natural selection in action, people.
2004-02-21, 3:22 PM #40
Quote:
But they shouldn't have to. If this game gets out, it's definately gonna be M, knowing the rating system. Therfore, its the parent's fault if they play a game like that.

</font>

Of course it's the parent's fault. But as I tried to say before, the parent has no clue what "M" even means. And therein lies the problem. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

↑ Up to the top!