Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So much for Thieft III...
So much for Thieft III...
2004-02-23, 12:47 AM #1
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february04/thief3multi/index.shtml

It is now offically "Deus Ex 2-eified". [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-02-23, 12:50 AM #2
I never played Thief I or II. Were they any good?

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-23, 1:28 AM #3
Sounds like the only added things are allowing you to wander around the city (v good), 3rd person mode (well, we'll see), and more focus on combat (bad bad bad bad bad).

I disagree with the author when he says you have to sneak flawlessly through the level. There were times when you couldn't help but be seen and that started a mad dash through unexplored areas of the level you didn't know trying to lose the guards. Good times.

Hopefully the added combat focus won't ruin it too much. If they do it well it could add to the game, so I'll try holding off judgement until I can actually try it. Anyone know when the demo's out?
2004-02-23, 1:30 AM #4
The Thief series was AMAZING. I think you can still get the first level of Thief 1 on a demo somewhere...

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-02-23, 5:01 AM #5
They released two demo levels from Thief, the Bafford Mansion (first level) and the Ramirez Mansion ("Assassins"? Level 4 I think).

Thief II had a demo level from somewhere nearer the middle of the game. Can't remember what level it was, but it was modified by the time it got into the release version. You had to sneak into the Mechanists Place and retrieve some plans. I can't remember what they were for off the top of my head, but the level in the full game was greatly expanded, and had you going after a load of information that wouldn't have made sense in a stand-alone demo I guess.
2004-02-23, 5:27 AM #6
My problem with these games has always been too many zombies (read: non-human characters)

I played most of the way through the first one. (I guess I got distracted) I've only played that demo for Thief II. THat was a great level. My favorite parts of the Thief series were jumping through some poor unsuspecting saps window, looting all of his stuff and jumping back out with no one the wiser. That's why I'm excited by the new city section.

I just hope that Ion Storm doesn't screw this one up like they did with DX2. I will personally find and [something bad] Warren Spector. DX2 was just unforgivable. :angry:

------------------
"With Great power comes great Responibility. Seems like the converse should be true as well. Now where the heck is my great Power?"
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-02-23, 6:17 AM #7
I think Thief III will be pretty awesome if they stick more to the original gameplay and less hack-n-slash. Hopefully the third person view won't mess it up, cus the other games didn't have it. Wonder what it looks like in third person view when your carrying some poor saps body on your shoulder. One thing I always enjoyed doing was picking up a body and running past some guards, there reactions were the best. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Fear, It Controls The Fearful. The Strong. The Weak. The Innocent. Fear Is My Ally!

The Arcane Sith

↑ Up to the top!