Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Any way to share a scanner over a LAN?
Any way to share a scanner over a LAN?
2004-02-22, 7:10 PM #1
I have a mini-lan (2 computers and a router) at my house and I want to share my scanner over the network. Can this be done on WinXP?

(Its easy to do this with printers, but I'm not sure how to do this w/ a scanner b/c theres no Share tab in the properties window.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited February 22, 2004).]
2004-02-22, 7:14 PM #2
Not that I know of. Google is your friend.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-02-22, 7:48 PM #3
Save the picture to a shared documents folder.

------------------
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
"Our hero chucks a few rocks..."
2004-02-22, 7:56 PM #4
Sharing a scanner seems kind of odd since you have to be at the computer with the scanner to put whatever you are scanning into the scanner

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-23, 2:25 AM #5
Yes.
Install a Print Server. It won't be cheap to do that though.. and it's kinda hard to set up. I have a print server connecting to two computers in my house. It's pretty neat. One of the computers is wireless too.
2004-02-23, 8:10 AM #6
www.share-scanner.com

The only thing I could find that could do it without major changes to hardware/software.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-02-23, 8:19 AM #7
SANE allows you to set up network scanners...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-23, 8:24 AM #8
I wonder what would happen if you used one of those USB to Ethernet adapters and then plugged the thing into a switch...

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-23, 8:53 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
I wonder what would happen if you used one of those USB to Ethernet adapters and then plugged the thing into a switch... </font>

I believe that that is the basis of sharing most devices on a simple (home-use) LAN... But I think there's a bit more to it than that... I may be wrong here...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-02-23, 2:05 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Sharing a scanner seems kind of odd since you have to be at the computer with the scanner to put whatever you are scanning into the scanner

</font>

↑ Up to the top!