Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Think geeks have no friends? Think again...
Think geeks have no friends? Think again...
2004-02-25, 10:05 PM #1
And there's evidence to back it up:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/35840.html
2004-02-25, 10:18 PM #2
Exactly. Just look at this community and the hundreds of other ones scattered around the net, geeks are very social... At least on the net, in real life they tend to be very shy. The net is a place where they can be themselves without being judged by others or classified as "geeks".
2004-02-25, 10:22 PM #3
I'm a geek nd I have friends in the real world.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-25, 10:25 PM #4
I thought the misconception was that geeks don't have any friends other than fellow geeks? It's pretty freaking obvious that geeks have friends. Who ever thought up that study is a very dense person.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance

[This message has been edited by Jin (edited February 26, 2004).]
2004-02-26, 12:00 AM #5
I think the study was more to advise gaming companies on how much emphasis they should put on online gaming, rather than single player..
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-02-26, 12:36 AM #6
Look, every time I log onto Final Fantasy XI, I have 4 or 5 people send me a PM saying hey. I have friends in FFXI, ya know why? Im more outgoing online, nothing to worry about online. But does that mean that in a more.. real.. situation, I know how to handle myself socially? No, Im rather shy and reserved when first meeting someone. Now, once I get to know them, I can be my outgoing FFXI self.

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-02-26, 1:57 AM #7
Hmmm. I think I'm a whopper of a geek.
But...

I have about 20 internet "aquaintances" and about 6 internet friends.

In real life, I have 20 or more "aquaintances", 10 goo0d friends, and 2 or 3 bestest friends.

And no, the above people arent imaginary [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Geeks are better than others [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif].
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-02-26, 2:42 AM #8
I'll just say I have about 50 aquaintances online, about 10-15 of which are good friends.

In Real Life I probably about about 50 aquaintances, 20 good friends and 1 close friend.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-26, 2:46 AM #9
The artical was kindof right I guess, but you can't deny it's alot easier to come out and be yourself (or just an annoying troll) over the intarweb than it is in person. The way they were saying it almost seemed to me like the internet was a place for people to go if they were too shy to make friends in real life. :x

Oh, and I think I'm in that "very few" category where I'm antisocial even online [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
I usually play against computers... and even if I am playing multiplayer, I don't talk much and usually don't cooperate with a team. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 26, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-26, 3:40 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
In Real Life I probably about about 50 aquaintances, 20 good friends and 1 close friend.</font>

Thats a hellofalota friends (fear my use of grammar!)
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-02-26, 5:25 AM #11
By aquaintances I mean people I know and am on friendly terms with, ie people I know through activities or my course.

By good friends I mean people I go out with.

By close friends I mean people I feel I can talk to about important things.

Personally, I think close friends are the important ones, and I only have one...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-02-26, 6:59 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
By good friends I mean people I go out with.

By close friends I mean people I feel I can talk to about important things.

Personally, I think close friends are the important ones, and I only have one...
</font>

I think it's just as important to have both.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-26, 8:54 AM #13
I don't really have any close friends, but I don't really need them either.

I have about 14-16 "do stuff with" friends.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-26, 11:12 AM #14
I'm an only child, and have kindof stayed that way socially too. I know lots of people, but don't do much with them. I do have one bestest friend, but he doesn't live close any more. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-02-26, 11:24 AM #15
I have quite a few friends, mostly from my school, and one odd friend who always seems to be in denial. He's always saying things like, "I have no friends," or "My life sucks," or "Go away loser,". Funny though, we're both geeks, me being the more PC related geek, and he claims to have no friends. Yet, we have like a group of normal peeps who we all are friends. Confusing, yes?

------------------
-> The Cosmic Castaway <-

-> Titan A.E. <-
Titan A.E.
2004-02-26, 1:44 PM #16
I'm not a geek and I have no friends.
2004-02-26, 1:47 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cosmic Castaway:
I have quite a few friends, mostly from my school, and one odd friend who always seems to be in denial. He's always saying things like, "I have no friends," or "My life sucks," or "Go away loser,". Funny though, we're both geeks, me being the more PC related geek, and he claims to have no friends. Yet, we have like a group of normal peeps who we all are friends. Confusing, yes?

</font>

some people, myself included, confine themselves to groups of associates. I have 5 people that I would consider "friends" but I have tons and tons of people that I like to hang out with and talk to. It's a matter of trust and vulnerability.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-02-26, 5:43 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
some people, myself included, confine themselves to groups of associates. I have 5 people that I would consider "friends" but I have tons and tons of people that I like to hang out with and talk to. It's a matter of trust and vulnerability.
</font>

Well maybe not tons /and/ tons, but a fair number at least [i'm on campus 3d a week..].

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-26, 6:15 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
I'm not a geek and I have no friends.</font>

What? Massassian == not a geek? Does not compute.
2004-02-26, 7:01 PM #20
I have 50 or so "I know you!" friends.
I have 10 or so "Hey, what's going on?" friends.
I have 3 or so "Let's go do something" friends.
I have 0 people I can talk to.

Unless you count online. Then I have about a dozen good friends I can tell anything. (<3 Teapot Dwellers and CPPers!)

------------------
All the prism in the world couldn't make hue.

↑ Up to the top!