Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Zelda: Windwaker
Zelda: Windwaker
2004-02-29, 6:09 AM #1
Cast ye minds back yonder years to when you were all playing the new Zelda game, and Spork thought Gamecubes sucked. Then comment! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

What a game. Bought Windwaker from my friend for $40 about a month ago. Played it for 10 minutes, decided I hated the cutesy graphics and the platformy gameplay was craptacular. Thought I'd sell it on eBay and get my money back, but thought I might as well give Ocarina of Time a go before parting with both games. Boy am I glad I did. Ocarina didnt impress me that much, the N64 graphics are pitfully bad, and, much like when I first tried Windwaker, I had trouble looking past this shoddy exterior. But I perservered, after a good hour of playing, I realised the gameplay was actually pretty good, if only the graphics were a little bit more up to date...

So I gave Windwaker another go, and havent played anything else since. I love the amount of freedom you get. Yeah you can follow the main quest, but you can also play Windwaker for hours on end doing nothing but random side quests from whichever island you happen to be sailing towards. I've never before played an RPG where you want to do the side quests because they're fun, not because there's a reward somewhere at the end. Most of the time in Windwaker I dont care if I only get 20 rupees for half an hours work, because dammit I had fun during that half hour!

The non-linearity, the freedom, the cool weapons and toys Link gets to play with... It all adds up to such a great game. Just a shame Windwaker is a little on the easy side. Yeah it feels epic, but I think I've only died twice so far, and both during boss fights.

Simplicity aside, Windwaker is truely a classic game. I've even come to the realisation that the cartoon graphics really suit the feel the game is going for.

9.5/10

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-29, 6:20 AM #2
OoT is awesome, but WW so PWNS it.

Great game.

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-02-29, 6:41 AM #3
Yes, WW is an excellent game, I think I will go play it now!! (I haven't sense I got to the wind temple!)

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-02-29, 6:48 AM #4
So much fun when you get to the black and white part. That's when you realize "This is the best game ever"

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-02-29, 6:51 AM #5
Spork - Unfortunately you came across Ocarina of Time at the wrong time... now the world is spoiled with better graphics and it's harder to enjoy. At the time, it was the best video game experience in existence.

See if you can get your hands on the upgraded Gamecube version of Ocarina, with "Master Quest". The graphics are a little better and smoother. You might be able to enjoy it more then.

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2004-02-29, 8:10 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
So much fun when you get to the black and white part. That's when you realize "This is the best game ever"

</font>

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-02-29, 9:21 AM #7
I'm sorry, I hated that game.
It'd a bad memory, it's just like the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. It didn't happen.

SPOILERS / REVIEW:
!
!
!
!
Sure it's graphically superior, the cute graphics are, well...cute. But I had sooo many problems with the game from the get go. It ALMOST proved to me that it was a great game as I got further in to it, then it went downhill again, but after I beat it I decided that the bad outweighed the good. The last 'treasure hunting' part of the game totally ruined it for me. I'll admit that hte game picked up after an hour or two.

My experience with the game was generally this, something bad happened, then I got over itand I saw it was good, then something else bad happened, and I got over it and saw it was good, then mroe bad happened and it didn't get better, and the game ended.

In the end, I dislike the game. I didn't like the story from the beginning, i didn't like how it killed off the old Hyrule world, I thought the excuse for bringing back ganon was a joke, the excuse for stopping him had no urgency, just 'stop him or else one day he might take over the world!', there weren't nearly enough dungeons, the last 1/2 or 1/3 of the game I felt like I was waiting for something exciting to happen. The game lost it's fun after the 4th dungeon. I came to the conclusion that hte game was a giant treasure hunt, and the implementation of 'Zelda' wasn't very interesting from my point of view. When it first happened, I thought "oh ok, so Zelda actually has a part in this game," or "nice plot twist," then she took like no part in the game until the end.

I didn't like the final ganon boss fights either. Too cartoony, (a giant puppet!?), not menacing enough, like OOT.

My review:

3/5

the 3 comes from the graphics, attempts at a great story, but the boringness, repetetiveness, and lack of story or detail other than what your boat tells you ultimately pulls the experience down.

------------------
I'm going to go out and do stuff, like besides work. Call up ben, hang out. Maybe see the last samurai, go skydiving, whatever.
Get back into the gym...
I want to do stuff that prevents me from playin video games so I can only play them a few hours a day, basically.
(Formally Veger, who died when he lost his e-mail adress, and his password. Veeger still looks for his old pass...)
I'm going to go out and do stuff, like besides work. Call up ben, hang out. Maybe see the last samurai, go skydiving, whatever.
Get back into the gym...
I want to do stuff that prevents me from playin video games so I can only play them a few hours a day, basically.
(Formally Veger, who died when he lost his e-mail adress, and his password. Veeger still looks for his old pass...)
2004-02-29, 10:02 AM #8
Ocarina of Time was fantastic. I seriously played that from 11 PM until 4 AM sometimes. I'm really glad I did play that game during winter break. I knew the N64 graphics were dated. But I didn't care. I played on.

Wind Waker started out a little dry for me then it got good...up until the point where you have to find the 8 Triforce shards. Oh GOD was that painfully long. Finding the charts wasn't so bad as there were bad guys to provide action. But that quickly faded as you had to quite literally scour the entire map to find the necessary 3184 rupees to pay off Tingle to make your maps readable. You don't know how many times I really wish I could have gutted that guy with my Master Sword. I haven't beaten the game yet. I'm still wandering around in Ganon's Tower.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-29, 2:21 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Archimedes:
Spork - Unfortunately you came across Ocarina of Time at the wrong time... now the world is spoiled with better graphics and it's harder to enjoy. At the time, it was the best video game experience in existence.

See if you can get your hands on the upgraded Gamecube version of Ocarina, with "Master Quest". The graphics are a little better and smoother. You might be able to enjoy it more then.

</font>

I beg to differ, I throughly enjoyed Ocarina of Time on the GameCube. The only flaw I can think of is the camera is a bit annoying in some tight areas. Oh and the missing Zelda Overworld theme...
2004-02-29, 3:14 PM #10
I gave up at the point where I was told: "there are eight maps to pieces of triforce hidden over the entire world. Find them. Oh, and then go and pay the fair obscene amounts of money to tell you where to find the pieces themselves. Then find THEM."

I want to play Zelda, not a treasure hunt.

Also, most of the world was water, which isn't very exciting. Majora's Mask and OoT were far superior, IMO.
2004-02-29, 3:48 PM #11
Havent got up to that bit yet.

Veeger, I've never played a Zelda game before, so thankfully I dont give a damn what they're doing to the backstory, who is / isnt involved or whatever. I'm just enjoying the good gameplay [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-02-29, 4:13 PM #12
I think all three games are superb games, though I believe that Ocarina of Time has that right amount of "spunk", if you will, to become a classic. However, I've only played Wind Waker for maybe an hour, and I never beat Majora's Mask. So, like I said, all three games are excellent in their own right.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-03-01, 10:27 AM #13
This coming from a guy who had nothing to do with his life for 16 years of it, got one for 4 years. I beat all Zelda games as I got them, then I got a Gamecube and beat them again when I got the collection(which, for Zelda fans, is a must. Has 1,2,OoT and MM) I have Link to the Past on SNES, working on beating Link's Awakening on GBC(All I have to do is find all those damn sea shells and beat the last boss in the damn egg) and recently purchessed the Oracle games. Windwaker, was very great in game play. I was disappointed when I first saw the game, but I gave it chance due to faithfulness to the series. Needless to say, I wasn't dissapointed. Tis a great game and I need to buy it sometime.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-03-01, 4:19 PM #14
I loved Wind Waker. As an anime fan, the "cute" look didn't bother me at all(Also, Ganondorf didn't look too cute to me [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]). It's the only Zelda game I've actually finished. I even did as many side quests as I could, because, as Spork said, they're fun.

I loved the freedom. I spent hours just going around taking pictures and collecting treasure. Searching for the "Triumph Forks" wasn't very hard, or even a bother, for me. I did it pretty fast. Would have been faster if I wasn't always getting side tracked with random exploring.

I love the music in this game. I think it's the best Zelda soundtrack since the original. The music really made some of the parts feel epic. It was great. My favorite song is the medley of the game's themes during the ending credits (appropriately named "Staff Credits").

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-03-01, 4:58 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:

</font>

That part is awesome. The end boss battle is great too, I love the sparks. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-03-01, 5:58 PM #16
I don't understand how anyone can be a fan of video games and never play a Zelda game. It's worse than owning a computer and never playing DooM.

Yes, the graphics are dated, but the game is six years old now. At the time they were awesome.

And in no way is TWW a better game than Ocarina of Time. No game is.

------------------
To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of reality, to see those who dwell behind. I was once a fool.

↑ Up to the top!