Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Really Hard Stuff
Really Hard Stuff
2004-03-01, 7:19 AM #1
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This final process resulted in the ultrahard material, which was at least 50% harder than the conventional diamonds as shown by direct measurements carried out in collaboration with scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.</font>

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/02/040226070311.htm

Really hard stuff.
Discuss?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.

[This message has been edited by Septic Yogurt (edited March 01, 2004).]
2004-03-01, 7:22 AM #2
Does it cut meat?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%

An exile of the Soviet Massassi Regime
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-03-01, 8:04 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Does it cut meat?</font>

No. Contact with flesh renders them highly maulable. Didnt you read the article?

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-01, 8:11 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
No. Contact with flesh renders them highly maulable. Didnt you read the article?

</font>

awww... your sarcasm tricked me into reading. dammit

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-03-01, 8:25 AM #5
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-01, 8:31 AM #6
How do they know it's 50% harder? They said it broke the measuring equipment. It's not like they have anything to compare them against..

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-03-01, 8:34 AM #7
Maybe because the stuff they made that was 49.9% harder the day before didn't break the equipment?

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
--------------------------------------
Fear is here, where's the beer?
2004-03-01, 9:53 AM #8
does this mean that diamonds will be becoming cheaper any day soon? coz i mean they're so pretty and then i have somethin to add to my christmas list :P

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-03-01, 9:56 AM #9
If it's cheap diamonds you're looking for just for looks, they make fakes you know... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-03-01, 10:26 AM #10
no i want real diamonds :P coz they're so strong, but will they be cheaper now is the question

------------------
2004-03-01, 10:38 AM #11
Most likely not Wolvie. Unless they find a way to make "natural" diamonds efficently and cheaply they'll just have to rely on digging them up.

------------------
<<Awaiting something smart to say>>
2004-03-01, 10:41 AM #12
I'm surprised they went public. DeBeers is said to have threaten the two existing companies who are perfecting man-made diamonds, which would shatter their monopoly. So, yes, Wolvie, diamonds will become cheaper.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-03-01, 10:48 AM #13
I used to make ultra hard coating on US military missile optics (the ones that double as the nose cone) using that technique. Only we didn't care about quality. As long as it met a certain hardness, the coatings passed.

Also, there is a company in Florida that is making diamonds for jewelry using a CVD process. It is expected that the price of diamonds will drop.
I saw a show on Discovery Channel about the new man made diamonds. When a new diamond mine opens that has only a few diamonds, DeBeers doesn't bat an eyelash. It seems DeBeers is quite interested in these new diamonds. They've shown as much interest as they did when diamonds were found in NWT, Canada.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
2004-03-01, 11:27 AM #14
The whole diamond market is so skewed.. It's been said that DeBeers has warehouses of diamonds, and they keep the price artificially high. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I want a diamond processor, damnit.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-03-02, 10:27 AM #15
Of course the diamond market is skewed. Diamonds are no where near as valuable as they are priced. The prices are artifically jacked up to make the diamond company CEOs filthy rich, while paying the workers in the mines next to nothing.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-03-02, 10:30 AM #16
All this reminds me of when aluminum was the artificially priced resource. Hopefully DeBeers will crumble like the aluminum conglomerates did...

------------------

↑ Up to the top!