Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → hosting for massassi...
hosting for massassi...
2004-03-02, 4:54 PM #1
I'm not sure if massassi is still looking for hosting but you may want to check this

http://www.gamingsource.co.uk/

It's hosting is free. They do host big sites. I know this because they host www.cncden.com (massassi of command and conquer) for free. From what I can tell, the files are always up.
2004-03-02, 5:05 PM #2
Hmm, that's a pretty good find. I've known CnC Den to be up for quite a long time. At least a couple of years. So they surely aren't some newbie hosting that will pull an eUniverse on us.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-03-02, 5:55 PM #3
Yeah, that looks like a good pace to host it.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2004-03-03, 9:14 AM #4
Do we really want our servers residing in England?

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-03-03, 9:29 AM #5
I wouldn't mind the servers being in England... That's where DF-21.net was moved to...

As for hosting, I'd say that's a great location... Nobody would really need to worry about charges (unless we need someplace else to host files), and I remember hearing about the site a couple of years ago.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-03-03, 9:31 AM #6
I recommend my host, hostmysite.com.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-03-03, 9:44 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I recommend my host, hostmysite.com.

</font>

Doesn't look like it has enough space even with the most expensive package. If I recall correctly, massassi takes over a gig of data? And even if it did have that much space, doesn't look like it supports PHP and MySQL.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited March 03, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 9:46 AM #8
What's wrong with the servers been in England. I love England.
*kisses floor* Beautiful dark and rainy England, I love you [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
<<Awaiting something smart to say>>
2004-03-03, 9:50 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
Doesn't look like it has enough space even with the most expensive package. If I recall correctly, massassi takes over a gig of data? And even if it did have that much space, doesn't look like it supports PHP and MySQL.

</font>

Try....

4.51GB

That's not counting the forums or the news.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...

[This message has been edited by Cool Matty (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 10:04 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Do we really want our servers residing in England?

</font>

Of course [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
2) You statement is lacking any clear structure or grammer. Please add these things.</font>

Sweet irony...
/fluffle
2004-03-03, 10:07 AM #11
I think people misunderstand the sheer capacity required to host a site like this. We take a significant amount of processing power and a LOT of space (well over 5 gigs). We do so much bandwidth that we've been kicked off of hosts for using too much (even when they promised "unlimited" or "unmetered").

I even doubt that site you linked to, because that Command & Conquer site had virtually empty forums. Forums are a very good indicator of the size of the community and the number of people you have visiting your site. I have a $20/month reseller hosting account at glypto.com that would allow me to host any number of low-traffic sites. But put one "massassi" on there and we'll get kicked off the day the DNS transfers.

------------------
2004-03-03, 10:07 AM #12
All I can say is, look at the size of this cat! (from cncden): http://www.cncden.com/news_pics/largekitty.jpg [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-03-03, 10:08 AM #13
LV had a good idea last thread: www.sanethosting.com.
2004-03-03, 10:36 AM #14
currently the Battlefield 1942 community I help run switched our site (Global Conflict.org over to www.icongamer.com servers since we have our game server with them... We originally had 1 GIG bandwidth per month but in day 1 or 2 we overloaded it with just our forums and phpnuke set up... Couple days later we had it a deal worked out with them giving us all the bandwidth we'll need for just a banner ad on our site... Either way if you find them to your liking make sure to mention Archangel from Global-Conflict [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-03-03, 10:37 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
All I can say is, look at the size of this cat! (from cncden): http://www.cncden.com/news_pics/largekitty.jpg [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

</font>

HOLY CRAP! Thats the kind of hosting we need for massassi! !!!!!!!!

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-03-03, 11:09 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kak:
LV had a good idea last thread: www.sanethosting.com.</font>

I'm afraid of what kinds of people might wander into our forums if we get hosting there...

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-03-03, 11:25 AM #17
sanethosting is way too expensive

------------------
2004-03-03, 11:51 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
sanethosting is way too expensive</font>

Agreed, at least for now. They don't actually provide hosting; they simply provide the constant watch and care that servers require. If we went that way, we'd need to buy at least a single rackmount server...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
All I can say is, look at the size of this cat! (from cncden): http://www.cncden.com/news_pics/largekitty.jpg</font>

That's a nicely edited photo. I see that they aren't completely unskilled... But it still kinda gets the point across... Massassi ain't a tiny game site like, say, DF-21 (download files excluded, it easily fit under 200 MB, and that was when all the forums were up).

------------------
Nes finds a hamburger!

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited March 03, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 12:14 PM #19
nottheking: Actually, Snopes says it's real.
2004-03-03, 12:26 PM #20
That photo isn't edited, hot shot. Its a maine coon that looks deceivingly big due to the angle and position.
2004-03-03, 12:55 PM #21
Okay... On second glance, I'd agree it's genuine, especially as the site lists the cat's weight as 24 lbs. I didn't notice at first that the cat's hind legs were stretched out... I was descrediting it on the basis of length. Although I do not have any pets, each of my siblings has a large cat. My brother's is rather long (over 3' nose to tip-of-tail), and my sister's is a lard-ball (roughly 20 lbs, though not much longer than a normal cat). I realized a lot of that size was fur, so I was thinking that the cat had been digitally stretched from nose to tail. Second glance showed that that was not the case. I apologize for the confusion.

------------------
Nes finds a hamburger!

↑ Up to the top!