Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thinking
Thinking
2004-03-03, 7:41 PM #1
I've been thinking a lot tonight, I think I’m really losing it. I think back to a couple years ago, to who I used to be, I just can’t remember. Talked to a few friends today, they are worried about me. I mean I don’t think I wear all this out on my sleeve, but everyone seems to know something’s wrong. Caught myself trying to think back to the last time I felt good about something, anything really, it’s been years. I wake up every morning and wonder why the hell I am still here. I have this cold feeling, just a very empty feeling. I just can’t keep living like this. Has anyone else here gone through something similar? We went to a few doctors, they can’t seem to figure me out other then to say something is seriously wrong, and that no one should feel like that. I’m sorry if it’s wrong for me to post this here, if so just delete this I won’t say a word. I just had to get that out. I just really don’t see a point in this life anymore.

Thanks for listening, sort of.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-03-03, 7:44 PM #2
I actually know that feeling fairly well.

Go see a shrink, you're depressed.
2004-03-03, 7:45 PM #3
How old are you?

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-03, 7:47 PM #4
Yeah my parents want me to see a shrink as well, and I'm 18.

------------------
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-03-03, 7:50 PM #5
Right with you. I also am depressed as ****. Whoa whoa, edit, except for the no point in life part. I'm not that ****ed up

Alcohol is the answer, though. I recommend Rolling Rock

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited March 03, 2004).]
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-03-03, 8:05 PM #6
Youve got 2 choices. Drink until you cant feel feelings anymore, or find a reason to live. Religion works for most people.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-03-03, 8:26 PM #7
Seek professional help. It's the best bet.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-03-03, 8:40 PM #8
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Do not encourage a minor (yes, I know I don't have a lot of room to speak, but, still...) to consume alcahol of any sort. Plus, because he's depressed, he should drink to "numb" the feeling? Yeah, it numbs it pretty good, but being depressed and drinking to cover it up is one of the leading causes of alcaholism. Seriously, just go to a psychiatrist. I see one, and it CAN help. I recommend talking more with family and enjoying activities with them. Get yourself involved. Try finding a hidden or unexplored talent or interest. Seriously, from what I've learned and encountered over the (MANY) years of depression, substance-abuse, psychiatric treatment, and what-not, try new things. Let yourself go crazy in your room or something while listening to music. If you are by yourself, you can't embarass yourself. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Just.......try it.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."</font>
[/b]

-Emon

[This message has been edited by lightside (edited March 04, 2004).]
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2004-03-03, 8:50 PM #9
Uhhh... alcohol is the answer? Hmmm... I don't think so.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
2004-03-03, 9:02 PM #10
Alcohol is but a temporary answer. Not to mention it's costy. Oh yeah - and it makes you look like an *** . Don't make the mistakes I did!

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-03, 9:39 PM #11
Move to Australia.

Then you can drink alcohol legally [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-03, 11:47 PM #12
chances are you want answers to questions that havent been fully laid out yet.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-03-04, 7:47 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lightside:
Let yourself go crazy in your room or something while listening to music. If you are by yourself, you can't embarass yourself. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Just.......try it.

</font>

Wow, that really makes since, thanks.

------------------
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-03-04, 9:05 AM #14
My advice is to ask yourself what it is you're looking for that you can't find in everyday mundane life, then go find something that has it.
2004-03-04, 10:03 AM #15
Sounds like your depressed. Don't get too worried, everyone goes through it to a varying degree at some point(s) in their life. I don't know what to say to help, I went through a period of depression but I don't think anyone realised how bad it was and I kept it to myself. It got bad enough that I was suffering physical symptoms. It takes a while to get over, but at least for me I knew what the reasons were and I tried my best to work them out or rid myself of them. I found myself writing down all the stuff that was bothering me, then I did what I could about the things I could change. If you need to vent it, a lot of people lock themselves in their room and play some music very loud, others let it out in a bursts of agression with screaming, exercise or a punchbag etc. Me? I hop on my mountain bike and spend a few hours out in the countryside by myself with time to think and burn off a load of energy, I know its hard to do when you feel awful and lethargic, but once you get going you feel a lot better.

------------------
Jagged Conscience: No maeve, don't stand up for Rob, he needs to learn.
Maeve:that's Rob?
Jagged Conscience: He's a Rob
2004-03-04, 10:23 AM #16
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have always been a thinker and a worrier. Over the summer, I had a collapsed lung, and while it was nothing serious, in fact relatively common, it really made me realize my mortality. I've never been the same since then, and many times I fall into depression for a week or so. I get anxiety attacks where my heart rate goes up, my stomach gets upset, and stuff like that. Whenever I get any ache or pain my thoughts go immediately back to my hopsital experience. It's something that will probably stay with me for the rest of my life. However, I try to deal with it as best I can, and feel I have been making progress.

You did EXACTLY the right thing to come here and talk about it. Talking about your problems helps immensely. Whenever I get one of my anxiety attacks or feel very depressed, I immediately talk to my parents or friends about it. I get everything out in the open and talk about it, and it feels so much better when you do.

I am 15, and since you are 18, we're both still in the same "teenage" boat. Teenagers go through depression and anxiety and problems like that. It is part of growing up. Hormones are going wild and you're growing up into an adult. It is a big change in life.

Depending how bad it is, perhaps you could see a psychologist. I was thinking about that for myself at one point, but currently am doing a good job managing my problems and think I can get along without one. However, DO NOT be ashamed to go to one. If you are clinically depressed or have some sort of other mental problem causing this, it is NOT your fault. If you need to see professional help, then do it.

Many times when I am depressed, I don't feel like doing anything but just sitting around. However, that only makes it worse. You have to force yourself to keep busy and do stuff with friends. Whatever you do, don't sit home alone for long periods of time. That only causes more thinking and worrying. Humans are social creatures...if you can't see a friend, in person, talk to him\her on the phone, or even instant message them. Anything that is communication with a person will help you. But try going out to movies or parties and even just hanging out with friends at their houses. As long as you are not alone, you will feel so much better.

Inspirational phrases and sayings also help too. I am not religious at all, but you don't have to be to get use out of inspirational proverbs and such. My dad typed up this sign and put it in my room one day, and it says, "Everyday in every way I am growing stronger and stronger." I read it everyday and it helps. Scour the internet...there are thousands of proverbs and sayings that will make you realize that things will get better.

Whenever I am depressed, it feels like it will never get better. However, DO NOT ever give up. And, I don't know how bad you are feeling, but suicide is NOT the answer. No matter how bad something is, killing yourself is not the answer. Every problem can be fixed; never give up all hope.

While you must ultimately help yourself, as I said before, do not be afraid to get help, either from friends and family or from a professional.

I hope this helped you in some way.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-03-04, 12:10 PM #17
bobafett - Thanks what you said made a lot of since too. Especally the part about realizing your on mortality, I had a similar experence and its good to know I'm not the only one.

I do feel a lot better today, just last night I was really on the edge. I do agree drinking is not the answer, I'm not the kind to drink unless I'm with friends, mostly because I do feel good when I do, but when I sober up I realize the only happyness I've felt was fake. The doctors say I have a chemical imbalence, and this is why I don't wanna take the meds they prescribe, because I don't want the only good I feel to be brought on by meds.

I've decided though that I just need to figure out what I want out of life, and then go for it. No more of this sitting around wishing my circumstances were better. I'm just going to figure out what I need and make it happen, not going to let any of my problems get in the way. Thanks everyone its a great help to know I'm not alone here, this is really what I needed.

------------------
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-03-04, 12:14 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The doctors say I have a chemical imbalence, and this is why I don't wanna take the meds they prescribe, because I don't want the only good I feel to be brought on by meds.</font>

NoESC, that is VERY dangerous. Let me help you out. The meds doctors give in this case help regulate your chemicals. They do not "make you happy" - they bring your chemicals into check with what they should be. Therefore, you should not avoid the pills because you think the happiness you get from taking them is the pills - it still is 100% you.

------------------
--------------------------------------
Fear is here, where's the beer?
--------------------------------------
Fear is here, where's the beer?
2004-03-04, 12:19 PM #19
Taking medication should be the last step. My dad is clinically depressed and has been taking Prozac for about five years now. It has done wonders for him with no side effects.

However, it doesn't mean it will have the same effects on you. Some people do experience side effects, many of which are bad. Teenagers should be especially wary of medication for depression. There have been many reports about teens who were given prescriptions for anti-depression medication by their doctors, but one of the major side effects actually causes them to contemplate suicide and many times go through with it. Even though it is supposed to relieve the depression, for some reason it brings about thoughts of suicide.

Counseling would be the best choice. As I said before, many times problems can be solved by just talking about them.

However, a chemical imbalance is something you have no control over and medication might be the only long-term solution. I wouldn't compare it to drinking and call it an artifical happiness, because if your brain is not producing the right chemicals to keep you mentally balanced, than you have to fix that. Taking cough drops for a sore throat isn't bad, and taking medication for clinical depression isn't either. However, I'd recommend staying away from the medication as long as possible, because as I said before many times it has severe side effects, especially for young adults.

------------------

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-03-04, 12:24 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoESC:
bobafett - Thanks what you said made a lot of since too. Especally the part about realizing your on mortality, I had a similar experence and its good to know I'm not the only one.
</font>

That's another good point, and I'm glad you realize it. Many times people think that "they're the only ones" and that they're suffering alone. However, I'd have to say that 99.99999% of all problems are shared by dozens of people worldwide. I don't think I could think of any example where you would be the only one with a specific problem.

When you realize other people have your same problem, that also makes you feel better, because you are not suffering alone.

Perhaps with the whole forum overhaul Massassi should create a personal problems\help section. The general discussion forum seems to always have one or two relationship or other advice threads going at any given time, so perhaps a forum dedicated to solving problems would be good. Just a thought, if any admins are interested.

------------------

2004-03-04, 12:28 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
My advice is to ask yourself what it is you're looking for that you can't find in everyday mundane life, then go find something that has it.</font>

Bwahaha... I read that as "Think about who you can't murder in real life, and then do it."

I need a nappie.

But NoESC, it sounds like you need to see a phsychiatrist, which isn't anything to be embarrased about. Alcohaul isn't the answer, like Flexy said. It's costly, and you'll end up making an arse out of yourself somewhere, and feel worse.

I believe in you!

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-03-04, 12:52 PM #22
Jesus loves you.

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis

↑ Up to the top!