Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wow.....HoU is depressing (If you don't like NWN, you won't like this thread)
Wow.....HoU is depressing (If you don't like NWN, you won't like this thread)
2004-03-03, 6:34 PM #1
I bought Hordes of the Underdark recently for NWN. I decided to take advantage of all the new stuff and start with the original modules and work my way through them, and the SoU to get to HoU. I eventually became a Paladin/Monk/Champion of Torm (7/1/10). I start HoU, and the first thing that happens is that all of my custom weapons and armor and jewelry are stolen. Now that pisses me off because I had a really cool ring that I had made.

Well, I was thinking I could play this game all the way to the end as if this was this one guys story. It kind of pisses me off that it isn't. Sharwyn, Tomi, Daelan, and Linu don't even know who I am cuz I'm supposedly someone else(even though I'm using the same charrie) and it seems Sharwyn is depressed because evidently I proposed to her and then just left(I knew I should have taken the psycho dwark monk as my henchman!). Also, Aribeth was killed which pisses me off and I evidently had altercations with Nasher. God this pisses me off. And I've only played half an hour of it. I just want to stick with my one original character story line. Actually, I'll give up the original character story line if I can just have my weapons and items back. do I ever get those back?

Anyone else have things they don't like about the game?

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-03-03, 6:44 PM #2
Well I haven't played the expansions, but I've started playing nwn fanatically about a week ago. Some aspects of it are incredibly frustrating - like mages who kill you in one shot, or hitting a monster 50 times and only get a 'weapon innefective' message, then returning to town to get more potions and come back only to find the monster back at full health.

Except for those issues, I really love this game. What I like about it is that it's also very dark. Unlike other games, you can never expect what's going to happen; I pass judgement on a criminal at the request of a spirit, I leave the castle confident that I've done good, then step outside to find the surrounding city in ruins, every inhabitant slaughtered, and I was the cause of it all.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-03, 7:14 PM #3
First off... Good job Flex [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Second... I played a little bit of the sp but I like the multi a lot more... 1 question I'm on this multiplayer regular NWN server and there are these prestige classes... They weren't there a year ago when I played on the same server... Do I need the expansions to get those classes? And since I don't have the expansions currently is it worth it to get them... Heh I asked a lot fo questions but didnt add anything good to this thred lol... Well anyway if you're looking for a good module to play in multplayer check out the Path of Acension ones I like those

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-03-03, 7:45 PM #4
HotU follows from SoU not the original NWN OC. It is as if you did your adventures in the Anaroch Desert then came to Waterdeep. That's why none of the four henchman don't recognize you.

As for Aribeth, yeah I was kinda disappointed in that. My NWN PC kept her ring and events followed forth.

It does get better though. Ch. 1 is kinda dry. Ch. 2 was better. Ch. 3 would be considered the depressing one, but good. Although, you've got something coming for you in Ch. 3...which I will not speak more of. Keep playing, you'll get better stuff. Try to find Enserric the Longsword in Ch. 1. He's a good weapon.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-03-04, 1:03 AM #5
He's right. And trust me, keep going - It really is a good module, better than the original (Which I can't stand), and SoU (Which was quite nice).

------------------
Guess what? Yep, that's right. No, no, really, it's right. Think it's wrong? You're right, it's wrong. Know why? 'Cause it is
Guess what? Yep, that's right. No, no, really, it's right. Think it's wrong? You're right, it's wrong. Know why? 'Cause it is
2004-03-04, 3:30 AM #6
Your old equipment will mean nothing. HotU is like Throne of Bhaal was to BG2. You get such undgodly gear it's almost sickening. I think my sword was like +8 by the end of the campaign.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-03-04, 10:03 AM #7
Well considering you made the ring yourself, it was probably highly overpowered. Shame on you [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

IMHO, NWN is the best game ever made. Not because of it's original modules, but because of the user-created ones. There are some absolutely terrific ones out there. I think you will enjoy HotU though, it is the best of the original modules. But yeah - to enjoy HotU you need SoU as well.

*spoiler*
yes, you will find your gear after some playing, but it will seem worthless to you.
*spoiler*

As for the ineffective weapons/one shot kill mage spells - those are all part of the game balance. Everything has its advantages and weaknesses - the trick is finding the weaknesses.

------------------
Eat the pudding.
2004-03-04, 11:05 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">yes, you will find your gear after some playing, but it will seem worthless to you.
</font>

Oh really?
Light Crossbow: Attack Bonus +20, Bonus Feat: Point Blank Shot, Bonus Feat Rapid Shot(worthless), Unlimited Ammunition: Bolt [Ammo: +5 Enchantment]

Ring: Cast Chain Lightning(Unlimited), Circle of Death(Unlimited), Gust of Wind(Unlimited), Resurrection(Unlimited and useless), Time Stop(Unlimited and so useful against dragons)

Clothes(thats right, not armor): Ac Bonus +5, Darkvision, Freedom of Movement, Haste, Saving Throw Bonus Universal +5, Spell Resistance 18, True Seeing

Quarterstaff: Attack Bonus +5, Damage Bonus Blugeoning 8 Damage, Damage Bonus Piercing 1d8 Damage(because the staff had spikes on the side), Enhancement Bonus +5, Keen, Massive Critical 2d12 Damage, On Hit Stun DC=26 Duration: 75% / 1 round, REGENERATION VAMPIRIC +20(!!!!!)

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited March 04, 2004).]
2004-03-04, 11:12 AM #9
If you never want to be challenged, ever, then I guess you could give yourself that stuff. But you will be completely invincible. (Timestop unlimited?)

I guarantee you will not enjoy NWN to its full extent with that gear.

------------------
Eat the pudding.
2004-03-04, 11:28 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:

Oh really?
Light Crossbow: Attack Bonus +20, Bonus Feat: Point Blank Shot, Bonus Feat Rapid Shot(worthless), Unlimited Ammunition: Bolt [Ammo: +5 Enchantment]

Ring: Cast Chain Lightning(Unlimited), Circle of Death(Unlimited), Gust of Wind(Unlimited), Resurrection(Unlimited and useless), Time Stop(Unlimited and so useful against dragons)

Clothes(thats right, not armor): Ac Bonus +5, Darkvision, Freedom of Movement, Haste, Saving Throw Bonus Universal +5, Spell Resistance 18, True Seeing

Quarterstaff: Attack Bonus +5, Damage Bonus Blugeoning 8 Damage, Damage Bonus Piercing 1d8 Damage(because the staff had spikes on the side), Enhancement Bonus +5, Keen, Massive Critical 2d12 Damage, On Hit Stun DC=26 Duration: 75% / 1 round, REGENERATION VAMPIRIC +20(!!!!!)
</font>

What the hell?? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

You can't be touched at all! Thank God the game took away that equipment. It would have been boring to you with all that uber equipment.

[I thought I was a little too powerful towards the end of HotU with getting A Nymph Cloak +7, Belt of Frostgiant's Strength, Enserric with Keen, OnHit: Strength decrease DC 24, and other such enhancements. Only to have my PC get smacked around did I realize I wasn't all that powerful [img]http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif[/img]]
------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>

[This message has been edited by Gandalf1120 (edited March 04, 2004).]
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-03-04, 11:30 AM #11
hehehehe, thats point. I don't want to be challenged. I'm more interested in the different ways I can develop my character than how I beat my enemies. Besides, I've played NWN and SoU before normally and it was okay. (btw, Timestop is useful only when I use it when fighting creatures with lots of hit points. otherwise it's just a waste of a round.)

Where do I get my equipment back, just so i'm sure not to miss it? And I don't care about spoilers.

------------------

2004-03-04, 11:31 AM #12
Gandalf: Last I checked with my armor and other jewlery(not all custom) I had an AC of 36. (btw, i rarely use the crossbow) [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited March 04, 2004).]
2004-03-04, 1:22 PM #13
Got to love the new weapons they included in Hotu, especially when playing online. There is nothing like a man dwarf in rainbow armor running around with a whip [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]. Oh and like the others say it does get better as you play on, trust me....

------------------
Fear, It Controls The Fearful. The Strong. The Weak. The Innocent. Fear Is My Ally!

The Arcane Sith
2004-03-04, 1:32 PM #14
now that I think about it, I should have not put Freedom of Movement on my armor. That is a little cheap.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!