Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → MLP5
MLP5
2003-12-10, 11:01 PM #1
I think Massassi should host a new Massassi Temple Level Pack. Thoughts?

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
||||||||||||||||||||
2003-12-11, 1:07 AM #2
JK or JA? I'd like to see another JK one, myself.

------------------
They came to sieze and take whatever they please,
Then all they gave back was death and disease.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2003-12-11, 4:33 AM #3
Personally I thought MLP4 was scraping the barrel... for JK at least.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-11, 4:37 AM #4
I think a JA pack for MLP5 would be w00t.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2003-12-11, 5:34 AM #5
I personally think that another JK level pack could work... but it'd take a lot of work. A JA one would be a lot easier.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited December 11, 2003).]
2003-12-11, 5:39 AM #6
Given the existing trend that every MLP for JK has been worse than the previous one, I really don't hold much hope for a 5th.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-11, 6:20 AM #7
Maybe it could be a pack for something other than DM? You guys did a CTF pack and that worked out quite well. I'm not sure how things would turn out if you did another CTF pack though (few of those levels capitalized on the unique aspects of JK CTF, although they were unique in their own way). It would be neat to have an MotS DM/KFY contest but it's probably a little late for that game (about 20 people in the whole world still play it mp). I guess it would be kind of neat if there was a DM level pack created for FF players (most levels don't take advantage of FF Speed + Jump tricks and things of that nature like BGJ does. I'm spent... :/

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2003-12-11, 6:36 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Given the existing trend that every MLP for JK has been worse than the previous one, I really don't hold much hope for a 5th.</font>

Personally, I love MLP 3. Is MLP 4 the weakest of the bunch? Definitely, but I wouldn't say every pack was worst than the last; I enjoy 2 and 3 much more than the first. I guess it's a matter of opinion. *shrugs*

Well, to prevent the MLP 5 from being a disaster, impose a strict quality control... i.e. not enough quality entries to make a substantial pack, then cancel the contest. I'd rather see a few good levels get released individually than see a sub par level pack made that bundles a few gems with lame 'filler' levels.

[Edit: I went back and looked at the packs and decided that I don't like 2 and 3 "much more" than the first, but just a little more... because the first is pretty cool too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] ]

[This message has been edited by Wuss (edited December 11, 2003).]
2003-12-11, 6:49 AM #9
I would think MLP5 would HAVE to be for JA. I mean, come on, we even skipped JO..

As for the existing MLPs, ranked best to worst (imo): 1,3,2,4

1 was by FAR the best pack.. I mean, all of the levels just ROCK except for JM's.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-11, 6:55 AM #10
I really liked MLP4. Some of the levels in there were the best ever. Can Yun O Ace This or whatever was great. So was Neurotic (I still remember my jaw dropping). Mada's levels were as always high quality. I really liked Leaky Bucket as well. True, we didn't have as many quality submissions. But there were enough that IMO, the pack was great.
2003-12-11, 6:57 AM #11
Oh, I forgot Dark Tempest!
2003-12-11, 6:59 AM #12
3 was the best in my opinion I played those levels so much. 4 was really lacking in my opinion I'm not sure what it was but its just missing something.
2003-12-11, 8:11 AM #13
Well, i ment for JK, cause JA and JO and MotS hold 0 interest for me.

------------------
||||||||||||||||||||
2003-12-11, 8:14 AM #14
If it was for JK [and] the contest took place from like December 15th to January 15th, I'd make a submission.. Myabe if there's enough interest in JK we could have both a JK and JA version at the same time..

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-11, 8:14 AM #15
Also, I like 3 and 4 the best. I mean, if you loook at the screenshots for 1 and 2, you see a lot of nearly default lighting, and repeating textures.

------------------
||||||||||||||||||||
2003-12-11, 8:56 AM #16
The winning levels are based on gameplay followed by architecture and lighting.

MLP1 levels are pretty simplistic yet manage to be impressive regardless of use of base textures and simplistic lighting, item placement is also very good.

MLP2 has a couple of maps with very problematic item placement (Minas Fragith springs to mind) and some of the maps just aren't suitable for actually playing

MLP3 isn't bad, it just doesn't stand out as anything spectacular (Dry Heat is a notable exception),

MLP4 had a few very pretty levels, but unfortunately the gameplay of them wasn't awesome, Decimation was far too big and the item placement was problematic. Neurotic was gorgeous but has 2 supershields within close proximity.

So I stand by my statement. Whenever I played the level packs for proper deathmatch play, the first two packs were always the most requested (this was after MLP4 was released btw).
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-11, 9:02 AM #17
I think I've played 3 and 4 more than the first two. We used 4 extensively to test the STUN mod before I had completed any of the levels for it... In fact, I think MaDa tested that with us... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-11, 9:05 AM #18
Thinking back, JK is probably a bad idea... Just think about how the Massgames Infiltrate Contest turned out... The other problem is that we arent all that much of a JO/JA editing community either.

Personally, I think we should wait until JK Arena is finished and out before thinking about MLP5. Too many people are working on submissions for that, and wouldnt have time to work on anything for another contest.

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-11, 9:14 AM #19
A JA contest might actually help us get some more talent about the site, there's a lot over at jk.net that haven't even heard of massassi.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-11, 9:30 AM #20
We can do an official JA or JO (I'm still not really "in" the community yet, I haven't been back long enough - I don't know which of the two is more popular for editing/playing, so I'll need help with this) contest after JKA is released.

Should we make it FFA or what? You guys will have to judge or help organize it or help with building a pack of levels because I have done zero JO/JA editing.
2003-12-11, 10:51 AM #21
I would assume FFA JA. That would probably be the most popular section of gameplay at the moment..

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2003-12-11, 11:10 AM #22
Yes. JA FFA.

As for JK level packs, well, JKArena is a pretty official level pack, but it's still not getting very much attention, because there's not much to be had. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Ω of 14
Half-Life 2 Central: your definitive source for everything HL2!
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2003-12-11, 11:18 AM #23
CTF, FFA or both (CTF maps can be used for FFA afterall).
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-11, 11:49 AM #24
*coughcough* JA *coughcough*

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2003-12-11, 11:59 AM #25
I know for sure I'd get a practicin in JED and try and make one [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
<Glyde> but.. you can't pick pickled peppers, even if a pickled pepper picker could pick pickled peppers!
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2003-12-11, 2:02 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Yes. JA FFA.

As for JK level packs, well, JKArena is a pretty official level pack, but it's still not getting very much attention, because there's not much to be had. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

Lets see... Brian and yourself already have made levels, Juz has as well and is working on a few new ones, GoY, ZZT, and myself all have levels that we are working on... anyone else?

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-11, 3:07 PM #27
If my levels get finished by someone else, and I believe Freelancer already volunteered to do so, there'll be a decent level, and a not-so-decent level to add to that list. The not-so-decent one I probably won't even bother sending to anyone.
2003-12-11, 3:11 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Personally I thought MLP4 was scraping the barrel... for JK at least.</font>

Hey, I loved them all [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-11, 3:17 PM #29
Hmm... I gotta finish up my old MGLP level someday...

And I think MLP5 should be for JA. That would rock... I wanted a JO one a while ago, and a JA one would be cool. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven!

http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/031774.html
http://mzzt.atronox.com/thelimelite/
Rest in peace, MaDaVentor. We all will miss you.

[This message has been edited by Gebohq (edited December 28, 2003).]

2003-12-11, 3:21 PM #30
Wait. couldn't it be for JO and JA. I mean, they are for alike engines (although the file size might go up due to textures, shaders, and stuff.)

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-11, 4:58 PM #31
Sure will, Slug. You can go ahead and send it to kevinpatton@mail.boisestate.edu and I'll have it ready in no time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] What's it looking like? Needs texturing/lighting? More archi?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2003-12-11, 5:24 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
Lets see... Brian and yourself already have made levels, Juz has as well and is working on a few new ones, GoY, ZZT, and myself all have levels that we are working on... anyone else?

</font>

*Raises hand*
2003-12-11, 5:40 PM #33
If we have a JO contest, I'll be in. I don't have JA yet so I can't compete in that yet. I wouldn't dare touch JK or MotS though - pretty much NO ONE plays those games anymore, despite that #massgames channel. JO/JA has a much bigger active players base so it's best to stick with those games. If possible, can't we have a JO and JA contest?

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-11, 6:10 PM #34
What would be an inexpensive prize we could give to all the winners? Say a max of 8 winners, I can pitch in 20 bucks each which would be a t-shirt.
2003-12-11, 6:16 PM #35
Gonk doll. GONK DOLL!

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian & A Very Massassian Xmas
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-11, 6:21 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
If we have a JO contest, I'll be in. I don't have JA yet so I can't compete in that yet. I wouldn't dare touch JK or MotS though - pretty much NO ONE plays those games anymore, despite that #massgames channel. JO/JA has a much bigger active players base so it's best to stick with those games. If possible, can't we have a JO and JA contest?

-- SavageX

</font>

Hey, we have games pretty often in there... More people have been visiting the room recent too.

------------------

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-11, 7:32 PM #37
A Massassi musical compilation disc.

For the prize, I mean.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited December 11, 2003).]
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2003-12-11, 7:38 PM #38
My new avant-garde-neoclassical-jazzy-grindcore band would be glad to contribute to that.
2003-12-12, 12:47 AM #39
Im with spiral all the way.
I'd say do it for JK.
Thats what all the MLPs have been
So I say, lets do it again

Why I made those rhyme is beyond me

------------------
Rock n' Roll

↑ Up to the top!