Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gamecube Question:
Gamecube Question:
2004-03-05, 8:17 AM #1
Anyone ever get frequent "Disk Read Errors"?

I can't finish a race in Mario Kart without it happening -- Prince of Persia does it, Soul Calibur, 1080..... And Nintendo tells me its the game. Pfft.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

[Edit: BTW if this should have gone elsewhere I can repost if needed, maybe the Tech Forum?]
------------------
TDiR: The Destruction is Real

[This message has been edited by Backslash (edited March 05, 2004).]
2004-03-05, 8:23 AM #2
you could have a dirty lens maybe... or something more serious

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-05, 8:43 AM #3
If all of your games have this error, you either have damaged disks (your fault, unfortunately, even if they were pruchased damaged), or the drive has a bad laser head, and Nintendo is obligated to repair it/send you a new one, unless there's good reason that you might have damaged it. Nintendo is annoying in that they often try to shove any blame for faulty hardware onto their customers. I would know as I've had experience talking with one of their support people...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-03-05, 10:14 AM #4
I had this problem before, unfortunatly when i jsut got Metroid Prime so that i really wanted to play but couldn't. It got to the point where I would only get 5 minutes of play before i got the read error. i didn't have the problem King had, they first told me to try cleaning the disks, but that's what they're supposed to say anyway, at first. they dont want to replace the lazer when the problem is the disk. anyway, i sent it to them, they fixed it and sent it back and i haven't had a problem since.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-03-05, 10:15 AM #5
Sounds like my work (where I originally bought the Cube) is going to fix me up. Thanks guys.

------------------
2004-03-05, 10:27 AM #6
I've only had that problem with rented games. Luckily, my rental place lets you get a replacement.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-03-05, 11:22 AM #7
Whoa, flashback to old NES days where I would have to constantly blow air into the cartridges pin connectors to get them to work. I guess some problems never go away.
2004-03-05, 11:28 AM #8
Yea, it might also have been jarred off, making it nearly impossible for the laser to read... although unlikely. I take my GCN everywhere, and I mean everywhere. LANs are great for em [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

It's probably more likely that your laser's lense needs to be cleaned. Just follow any cd-rom lense cleaner guide.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-03-05, 11:31 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zy:
Whoa, flashback to old NES days where I would have to constantly blow air into the cartridges pin connectors to get them to work. I guess some problems never go away.</font>

Well, I had to hold my NES in a 12 degree angle to worl :/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%

An exile of the Soviet Massassi Regime
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-03-05, 11:56 AM #10
Quote:
Whoa, flashback to old NES days where I would have to constantly blow air into the cartridges pin connectors to get them to work. I guess some problems never go away.</font>

I remeber those days. Sometimes it took forever

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-03-05, 12:02 PM #11
I had this error once when playing a game of Soul Caliber 2. I think it is because there is dust,dirt, or a scratch on the disc or lense. Im not quite sure which one it is, but i know mine didnt work because there was a a big fingerprint on the disc, go figure...

------------------
Fear, It Controls The Fearful. The Strong. The Weak. The Innocent. Fear Is My Ally!

The Arcane Sith
2004-03-05, 12:09 PM #12
Ha, ha at all of you. I've never ever had a single problem with my cube.

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
BABIES EVERYWHERE!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-03-05, 2:08 PM #13
Never had any problems with my cube. Sounds like a faulty/dirty lens.

And you guys know that blowing in your cartridges was the exact reason that they didn't work, right? Moisture from your breath isn't good for those things.

------------------
To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of reality, to see those who dwell behind. I was once a fool.
2004-03-05, 2:22 PM #14
well, it wan't the exact reason. the dust is what causes the original problems, and blowing in it does clean it out. however, after awhile, the moisture will get to it. but it isn't the only reason.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-03-05, 4:13 PM #15
After cleaning the lens, the cube ran for about an hour of Mario Kart without a error. Hopefully it keeps up!

------------------
2004-03-05, 11:27 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
well, it wan't the exact reason. the dust is what causes the original problems, and blowing in it does clean it out. however, after awhile, the moisture will get to it. but it isn't the only reason.</font>

Got a good point. However, if you used the plastic things all the time like I did you shouldn't have a problem.

I mean, my NES still works today. Flawlessly.

------------------
To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of reality, to see those who dwell behind. I was once a fool.
2004-03-06, 7:46 AM #17
you can't always use the plastic things because it's not easy to find games that still have them

it's really called know how to properly clean your games and all will be good (and it really helps if you have a cleaning kit)

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-03-06, 1:25 PM #18
Quote:

Heh, I remember I had to do that too with any console that uses cartridges. You raelly had to blow hard on those suckers in order to get them to work. Sometimes that can be a daunty tasks because you have to be careful not to accidently spit into the blasted thing when you blew.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-03-06, 2:24 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
I remeber those days. Sometimes it took forever

</font>

I played a nes about a week ago.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-03-06, 2:51 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
(and it really helps if you have a cleaning kit)</font>

I had one of those, but i didn't really use it because it took so long to use. i resorted to blowing several times simply because i didn't want to deal with that.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-03-06, 4:30 PM #21
I would consider a general-use cleaning kit to be an excelent investment. I have one that cost ~$5US (Wouldn't know now, it's been some 8 years since I got it), and it's still quite useful. The best part was a tool that works quite well fore cleaning the surface of a CD/DVD without scratching it at all...

As for the actual laser heads, there are companies that sell laser-head-cleaning disks, but you might be a little harder pressed to find one made for the GameCube, given the diminuitive size of its disks...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!